Home

Comments on Play Clock System

This is a discussion on Comments on Play Clock System within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
Rookie

FakeTiger's Arena

OVR: 3
Comments on Play Clock System

Forgive the length of this post but I have an issue I would like to raise to the community.

Like most of you, I'm really enjoying the changes made to the game this year; however, I have had a major problem with the way the game clock and play clock is handled in this game. I know many people don't like to play 15 minute games and there are also those who find fault with the accelerated clock as it is used in Madden, but the system in NCAA simply doesn't work.

Here is what I mean:

In a 15 minute quarter, a 40 second interval equals approximately 4% of the potential game time and in an 8 minute quarter, 40 seconds equates to approximately 8% potential game time. Likewise, in a 5 minute quarter, 40 seconds equates to 13% of potential game time. This may not sound like much at first glance but let's look at it in game terms:

A team running 15 plays at a maximum runoff of 40 seconds per play (by running the play clock to 1 second after each play) can potentially run off 10 minutes of game time (15 times 40 = 600 seconds or 10 minutes). This means that in a game using 5 minute quarters, a player can theoretically run out the entire half in only 15 plays!

Now, we all know that the CPU and most players run each play very quickly for the majority of the game (both online and offline) but things get screwed up when you get to the end of the game. Lets say I am playing a game and have the ball with the lead in going into the 4th quarter in a 5 minute game. A 5 minute game only has 300 seconds of game time. If you do the math, you will find that it only takes 8 plays to run off 320 seconds. As such, I could hold my lead and run out the clock by making about 3 first downs. Things are a little better in an 8 minute quarter, but the same flay exists. An 8 minute quarter has 480 seconds. It takes about 12 plays to run off 8 minutes of game time. As such, a lead could be held for the entire 4th quarter with one "grind it out" drive.

In my opinion, this is a major flaw with the game that needs to be rectified in order to maintain competitive balance and achieve better stat totals. It seems to me that there are two option to resolve this problem,

1. Accelerated Clock like in Madden
or
2. Reduce the Play Clock to a proportional level based upon the game clock

I don't think the first option is viable for this year's game. The accelerated clock option as it exists currently is nonsensical. It basically allows you to more quickly run the play clock down. Unfortunately, it doesn't solve the problem presented above if the game clock is less than 15 minute quarters.

As such, I would like to implore the developers to take a serious look at option #2. It seems to me that they should be able to match the play clock proportionally with the game clock. For example, if you play with 15 minute quarters, the play clock should be a standard 40 seconds. However, if you play with 8 minute quarters, the play clock should be roughly 21 seconds. Likewise, if you play with 5 minute quarters, the play clock should be 13 seconds. Since 13 seconds is a pretty short period of time, maybe the playclock can be capped at no less than 15 seconds. This is more than enough time for most people to call a play and get to the line of scrimmage and leave a little time for an audible.

I would hope this wouldn't be a difficult patch for the game. It would simply necessitate reducing the playclock time proportionally with the game clock and eliminating the 10 second accelerated runoff currently in play (or reducing this proportionally as well). It may also require tweaking late game clock management by the CPU. Currently, the CPU rarely let's the playclock run more than a few seconds except late in the game when leading.

Making this change would enhance the game greatly. There is nothing more frustrating than not being able to get a chance to possess the ball late in the game because an opponent can basically run out the majority of the final quarter by making first downs. Likewise, it is not much fun to know that I can kill a single player game against the CPU by managing clock with the knowledge that I can control a large portion of the game 40 seconds at a pop without having to make many first downs.

Once again, I'm enjoying the game greatly at this point but I think this is an issue that I would like to see addressed by the development team sooner rather than later.

Thanks for listening. Hope to see some comments or other suggestions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Comments on Play Clock System

I think you make great points. I really liked the accelerated clock from Madden, I thought that was great. I am with you that can probably not be added via patch, but it is a must for every version going forward.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Comments on Play Clock System

Play Clock is fine how it is.

Get better at D, and make stops.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »