Home

my videos about man coverage

This is a discussion on my videos about man coverage within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
my videos about man coverage

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ironman1360#p/u

Thats the link to my channel. I have 2 new videos about man coverage in NCAA Football 11 and what I think about it. Let me know what you all think.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: my videos about man coverage

I watched 2 minutes of the first video. Your argument is pretty weak and flawed.

First off, you're comparing a WR with 83 route running to a CB with 98 man coverage (or those are the skills you quoted them having). The CB should be FAR superior.

Second, you're trying to nitpick at the specifics of how the CB is placing his feet. You're talking about a guy with 98 man coverage ability. Just because the game doesn't animate something that is quite physically right doesn't mean the CB shouldn't maintain excellent coverage. If you want to argue about things being animated properly, how about let's start with the super obvious things you see easily in full time, like players sticking through objects, or other players, etc.

Third, a backpedaling CB is not traveling as fast as a forward running WR, and therefore carries less momentum. Yes, it's easier to run and stop while moving forward, but a CB with 98 man coverage shouldn't have trouble keeping in-step with a WR with only 83 route-running. Besides, in your video is blatantly obvious that the WR is moving faster than the CB. From the time the ball has snapped to the time the WR makes his cut, the WR has traveled about 7 yards while the CB has traveled more like 2-3 yards. He's not traveling nearly as fast, he doesn't have the same momentum, he doesn't need to take the stutter steps the WR needs to take to make that cut and stay with the WR. Check out this same match-up in REAL LIFE. The WR makes the stutter steps, and on a 5-yard and cut route like that, the CB isn't doing the same thing.

Forth, you still completed the pass...so obviously the DB's coverage isn't that gamebreaking, now is it?

If you want to demonstrate that the man coverage is overpowered, you need to show a DB with inferior man coverage skills sticking with a WR with superior route running skills, and on a longer route--a route that requires the DB to come out of the backpedal BEFORE the WR makes his cut.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
I watched 2 minutes of the first video. Your argument is pretty weak and flawed.

First off, you're comparing a WR with 83 route running to a CB with 98 man coverage (or those are the skills you quoted them having). The CB should be FAR superior.

Second, you're trying to nitpick at the specifics of how the CB is placing his feet. You're talking about a guy with 98 man coverage ability. Just because the game doesn't animate something that is quite physically right doesn't mean the CB shouldn't maintain excellent coverage. If you want to argue about things being animated properly, how about let's start with the super obvious things you see easily in full time, like players sticking through objects, or other players, etc.

Third, a backpedaling CB is not traveling as fast as a forward running WR, and therefore carries less momentum. Yes, it's easier to run and stop while moving forward, but a CB with 98 man coverage shouldn't have trouble keeping in-step with a WR with only 83 route-running. Besides, in your video is blatantly obvious that the WR is moving faster than the CB. From the time the ball has snapped to the time the WR makes his cut, the WR has traveled about 7 yards while the CB has traveled more like 2-3 yards. He's not traveling nearly as fast, he doesn't have the same momentum, he doesn't need to take the stutter steps the WR needs to take to make that cut and stay with the WR. Check out this same match-up in REAL LIFE. The WR makes the stutter steps, and on a 5-yard and cut route like that, the CB isn't doing the same thing.

Forth, you still completed the pass...so obviously the DB's coverage isn't that gamebreaking, now is it?

If you want to demonstrate that the man coverage is overpowered, you need to show a DB with inferior man coverage skills sticking with a WR with superior route running skills, and on a longer route--a route that requires the DB to come out of the backpedal BEFORE the WR makes his cut.

That and This. The action doesnt animate well, but the principle is correct.

There is mirroring, but I think it is more to do with how the engine translates man coverage skill...I havent labbed it extensively enough yet.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

To clarify what I meant when I said "The CB should be far superior." ...

If a CB has 98 man coverage and he's going up against a WR with 83 route running, he should pretty easily stick to the receiver like glue, as he is far better at defending than the WR is at shaking his coverage.

You're trying to demonstrate that the game is broken because defenders are too good at defending, and you use what would seem to be one of the best defenders too illustrate that point (against not necessarily one of the best WRs).

Find the WR with 98 route running, pit him against a DB with 83 man coverage, and make the route longer than 5 yards. If the DB still sticks to the WR like glue, then you might be on to something.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 7

I agree about the argument in the first video being weak. Although he did also say that it was on All American and I think the slider for pass coverage was at 35 instead of 50. So, basically, you showed that the slider you adjusted worked and that was really about all I got out of the first video.

Now, the second video was much better at showcasing the omniscient DB syndrome, as two of the routes were actually run by the DB before the WR even made his break. This, unfortunately, has been around for a very long time,since, this is how the CPU is programmed in order to keep it competitive. However, this years game has given me some hope that it will finally be fixed in the future.

Last edited by JMBOO; 07-15-2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: I do what I want
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

So, you create a thread for man coverage, then ANOTHER thread to showcase your youtube page?

Not happening. That isn't how thing work around here.

Locked.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »