Home

Defense vs Option

This is a discussion on Defense vs Option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Defense vs Option

What formation do you guys use to defend against the option? Got a Tourney going this weekend for cash and I know G-Tech will show up here. I know there's QB spy, End-Contain....anything else? I read one guy uses Quarters and brings everybody up to the line....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Rookie

hawkeye2188's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Defense vs Option

Leave your DL normal, spread your LBs, RB+Up on LS. I can usually hold them fairly good using 4-3. I wouldnt use quarters then push everyone to the line just because if they decide to option pass a lob will probably burn you, but it could be a good strat to use once in a while on 1st down. Just play a few games on Heisman vs Ga Tech.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Rookie

ndfan1993's Arena

I have played Tech twice and both times I found success in using the Nickle 4 man front and blitzing my corners and bringing them up as well as flexing out my LB's. This way my 4 man front can at least contain any midline or FB options, the LB's can force the pitch and the blitzing CB should be able to take out the pitch man. I have found the 3-4 to be worthless against the option.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

4-3 & 3-4 does a pretty good job on option. just watch out for the fb and jet sweep if your end is pulled in and the lb is cracked or out of position a good 25 or more you will give up
Old 07-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

I too will put my vote in for the CB blitz as ndfan said, but the key is knowing when to use it. People will try options early to try to catch you off guard, so be ready for it. If you can get the CB in there on the right plays, you can discourage the opponent from not only running the option, but rolling out and scrambling himself. If you want to play it a little safer, pick plays that have your OLBs blitzing to the outside.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Rookie

Do a contain with the DE and outside LB covers pitch man that usually strings the play out too wide, and you can make the play with pretty minimal yardage.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Rookie

Jet5195wvu's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm playing Georgia Tech right now with WVU and it seems like the 3-3-5 is doing really well as they're shutout at halftime.
Tampa Bay Rays
Old 07-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

I set Option Defense to Conservative, which makes my AI chase the pitchman. Then I control the MLB. After the play starts I stay at home for a quick beat to play the FB option, then follow the QB. He'll see my OLB peel off to chase the HB and try to cut inside, then my MLB pastes him from the side.

Of course, the true best counter for the Option is to score a lot of points. Pick a team with a good downfield passing game. If you get a double-digit lead, most option players will start to panic and try to match you throw for throw, and that is not a good matchup.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »