Home

What a sham.

This is a discussion on What a sham. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
What a sham.

I finished my first season of RTG last night. Being the first season, and being many months since I played a football game, I started on Varsity.

I played as a power RB for Arkansas. Finished 12-1 with one road loss at Georgia but won the SEC championship game.

Final ranking in the BCS polls? 9th.

That's a bit ridiculous. TCU and Wisconsin both finished with 2 losses and were ranked ahead of me. I beat Alabama (their only loss), and they were ranked ahead of me... despite me winning Alabama's division and conference. Also ranked ahead of me was Boise State with 1-loss in a non-BCS conference and undefeated Nevada in a weak conference as well.

C'mon. I know the real life pollsters hate Arkansas, but the only way a 1-loss SEC champion finishes 9th in the final BCS poll is if there are 8 undefeated teams from other BCS conferences.

And there aren't 8 other BCS conferences.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 10
Re: What a sham.

when was your 1 loss?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
MVP

Week 3, the conference opener at Georgia. Followed that up in week 4 by defeating then #1 Alabama.

I was in the top 25 all season.

EDIT: I understand what you're saying though, because obviously going 11-0 and then losing week 12 will drop me pretty significantly without time to make up the lost ground. But I lost my conference opener, still had 7 conference games, plus two non-conference games, one against a BCS school.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
Banned

Alkalinesolo022's Arena

OVR: 0

Yep, you're right - that is a sham.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

The ranking system has always been flawed. For one, the game will show a team's ranking in both Coaches and the Media polls, but the only one you can see as a list is the coaches poll. I played as PSU, and beat bama in week 2, so they were #1, while I was #15. That means I went up 3 slots for beating FCS SE...and then when I beat bama, I was #12. They were #8. Not only did they fall more than I gained, they were still ahead of me after I beat them.

=/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
MVP

Yea, but remaining ranked behind a team you just beat isn't all that uncommon, especially when you're as far apart as #15 and #1.

And to be honest, I try not to pay too much attention to it until the end of the season. But something's got to be broken when an SEC team goes 12-1 and finishes ranked behind the teams I was ranked behind.

Also, for some reason, Wisconsin, Boise State, and one other team actually only played 11 games. Arkansas at 12-1 SEC champs was ranked behind 9-2 Wisconsin, 10-1 Boise State, etc.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 4

i got you beat, in 2011 for my dynasty - 11-1 Arkansas ranked #9, Boise State and Utah both got a bowl bid over them
Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skull
i got you beat, in 2011 for my dynasty - 11-1 Arkansas ranked #9, Boise State and Utah both got a bowl bid over them
11-1 Arkansas didn't win their division or conference, Boise State and Utah did. And you still went to a bowl, just maybe not BCS bowl. And did Boise State or Utah have 2 losses?

But if you went 11-1 and didn't win division or conference, I've got to believe you played in Sugar Bowl while probably Alabama played natchamp.

We're talking about a ONE-LOSS BCS CONFERENCE CHAMPION, in the SEC no-less, finishing behind TWO 2-loss teams, a 1-loss team from a non-BCS conference, an undefeated from a very no-name conference, and a team in the very division and conference which I won.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »