Home

Transition to the option

This is a discussion on Transition to the option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 11
Transition to the option

I love Navy football and that they use the option. I want to start a franchise with Rice or Marshall. The question I have is should I switch to the option playbook in the first year or recruit option heavy and wait a year or two to start using it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Transition to the option

Well, you have three possibilities.

a) Your current QB is speedy and you can immediately switch to the option.
b) You can find a speed WR who actually has some sort of THP/THA ratings, move him to QB and immediately switch to the option.
c) You can recruit a fast QB and switch to the option in the near future.

In the case of a, just check your current QBs speed and acceleration ratings. Not just the starter, but the back ups too. Passing ability isn't as important since option teams are so run heavy.

In the case of b, a lot of teams generally have a WR or HB or something that played some QB in high school. EA will give them like 70 THP and 50 THA, or something in that neighborhood, maybe slightly worse. Just look at your team, all positions, look at THP/THA and scroll down and find anyone with moderately decent stats here that's not a QB. More than likely, they'll have better speed than your QB.

The only reason to try option c is if both a and b don't apply.

EDIT: For what it's worth, last year I played an Online Dynasty with North Texas and transitioned them to the option. They had a good speedy QB, so it was easy...but he got hurt, and I had to use a WR who had some throwing skills as his back-up.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Transition to the option

The option is possible with a QB who isn't overly athletic. You would love to have one ideally, but that isn't always the case with some teams. There are plenty of plays in the playbook designed to get the ball directly to the backs. Also if you make the right reads as far as give or pitch, when the QB has to keep it you can get three or 4 yards no matter the athleticism. I would suggest in the first season if you have a decent passing qb but no running options, use the Air Force playbook. Put a RB or WR at qb in all the flexbone formations and your other QB in the I and shotgun formations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »