Home

Why is the slot receiver always open?

This is a discussion on Why is the slot receiver always open? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-18-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Why is the slot receiver always open?

Does someone know how to tweak the sliders so the cpu covers this? Is anyone else tired of knowing that they can always bail themselves out by throwing a 20 yard pass to their slot receiver? It's open 50% of the time on every skill level. *I play heisman
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Why is the slot receiver always open?

because EA had an 8 year old program the defensive playcalling AI...

seriously, play against a 6 or 7 year old in ncaa and it's just playing the CPU....double cat blitz, engage 8 80% of the time....free fire cov 0 the other 20%.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Rookie

pezone's Arena

OVR: 7

this has been a problem since back in the day with the Old Xbox/PS2......

I've won the Heisman trophy with slot receivers!!! lol
Old 07-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Well its only open 50% of the time thats not all the time... . Slot wr work on LB/safties and have better match ups I guess.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Rookie

Darkeus's Arena

It is??? Hell, i need to look at my slot receiver more.

Seriously, not really. I have had the slot receiver open as much as anyone else.

The Scarlet and Grey, best team in the land!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

This is a huge issue and it needs to be addressed in the next patch. Very annoying.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Rookie

Darkeus's Arena

Again, not seeing this and so maybe not a problem. Got a video? Links? I need to see this.

The Scarlet and Grey, best team in the land!
Old 07-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15

The slot receiver generally SHOULD be open most of the time unless the defense lined up with extra defensive backs.

Regardless... CB#1 generally covers the Flanker or Split End. CB#2 generally covers the other, flanker/split end, depending on what CB#1 is covering, and that mostly depends on which side they line up, etc.

Slot receiver is covered by CB#3 (the 3rd best corner), or a safety, or a linebacker. The drop off in coverage from CB#2 to CB#3/SS/FS/LB is generally far more than the drop off in route running, speed, accel, etc from WR#2 to WR#3. Wes Welker, etc.

Standard defenses run 4-3(-4) or 3-4(-4) because standard offenses run with 2 receivers, a running back, and either two tight ends or one tight end and one full back. That leaves two corners to cover the two receivers, 3 linebackers to cover the RB/TE/FB (in 3-4, one LB is almost always blitzing), and 2 safeties to... be safeties...

But teams don't always run standard offense. Nickel formations such as 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 cropped up to counter the 3-wide formations (and even still, it's CB#3 vs WR#3, and I already explained that this is generally still a bit of a mismatch). And then Dime formations suchs as 3-2-6 and 4-1-6 were developed to counter the 4-wide formations. The extra defensive backs in nickel and dime formations are almost always corners, as generally speaking, teams always have just one FS and one SS on the field.

But offenses still run the ball a lot out of the 3-wide formations so defenses will still put out standard 4-3 or 3-4 formations against a 3-wide, accepting the mismatch on the 3rd receiver in order to prevent a big run.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »