Home

Not complaining but..

This is a discussion on Not complaining but.. within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 AM   #17
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Not complaining but..

The future is voice manipulation technology. Eventually, they'll just have the guys come in and record a bunch of lines, then all the vowel and consonant sounds, and there will be built-in technology to create dialogue on the fly. Then the only limit to the amount of commentary is the length of the script. That's a long way off, unfortunately.

Honestly, the only problem I have with Nessler and Herbstreit is that I've heard everything before. Even if I had never played NCAA before, I would have heard everything by about the third game. There's just not enough recordings, but it's always going to be that way with sports like football and basketball which are fast paced.

And honestly, compared to some of the other football guys (including the 2K guys which just got annoying after a few games IMO), Nessler and Herbie are some of the best. Outside of the lack of variation, the dialogue doesn't seem too forced or too laid back or overly cheesy; it's pretty similar in tone to what you'd hear on Saturday. The only issue (outside of variety, again) is the lack of context-sensitive dialogue like others have mentioned. They added a little bit of it this year (like talking about team records and stuff), which is nice, but as others have mentioned, there's too much stuff like "I'm gonna put this on the quarterback" after you get nano-blitzed or "we already know what he can do in the passing game, but here he shows you he can run it too" when you run a sweep with your running back in the slot.

But to me, Nessler and Herbie are about as good as it's going to get. Musberger is okay in real life, but I just think he would suck in a video game. It's the game that needs to be fixed, not the commentators.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:47 AM   #18
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwnarrow3
It'd be hard to have "good" commentary in a football game. I mean baseball is easy because it plays at such a methodical pace, and they have licensing rights of the players.

But college football is hard to create a good broadcast commentary. There are very few lines that you could say for each game. And recording wouldn't be simple. In order to make the play-by-play stand out from years past would to have Brad record much much longer than he does today.

One of my major complaints is the copy and pasting of the names to the generic play-by-play calls. Example "McClain!"..."with the catch". McClain has an exclamation next to it due to the hype and excitement in Nessler's voice when he calls his name, however "with the catch" is a generic call to designate a WR catching a ball.

What EA would need to do to make it stand out is to have remove a lot of this copying and pasting. They would record "McClain comes down with it!", "McClain with the short catch" etc. for all of the possibilities of catches by the player. Not only would this take FOREVER to record with all the names and possibilities, but could there be a lawsuit against EA if the recorded so many names for players?

Anyway, the copying and pasting is what's tough about listening to games now, but to do away with that would take hours and hours. I suggest EA go for a play-by-play announcer less well known that can dedicate as many hours as it takes to record everything, but with the ESPN in the game, that is nearly impossible.

My point is that it's really hard to eliminate copying and pasting without forming a lawsuit against the generic player rule. And while they could record play-by-play by number "number 36 with the catch", it's not nearly as immersive. So it's a tough situation they're in with the commentary, and this is one aspect of the game that I let slide.
Who says it even needs to be an official announcer? Most hardcore football fans (like us) who can speak well could do just as good a job as anybody on commentating a game.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:45 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21
Who says it even needs to be an official announcer? Most hardcore football fans (like us) who can speak well could do just as good a job as anybody on commentating a game.
It's harder than it looks. Sounds?

Anyway, a few years ago, it started to get annoying to me. And to be honest, I'm glad Corso is gone, because he, by far, was the most annoying.

But now I've played the NCAA games for so long STILL listening to the same voices and lines that I've basically spaced them out, for the most part.

They still can be a little irritating when things aren't going you're way, you're playing bad, and they're trying to analyze your bad play.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #20
Banned

DaTwolves21's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory23
How hard is it to get Brent Musburger? Brad Nessler has been saying the same stuff since 2006, and its to a point where I can predict what he's going to say, verbatim.

Herbstreit is okay to me, he at least is diversified every 2 years.
if they give u everything in 2011 then what will they have for 2012 n so forth, these guys now what they're doing, this year is about locomotion n 120 ways to win lol.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:51 AM   #21
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

How many people here played NCAA basketball with the CBS as well as ESPN presentations? Two different commentator teams, two different overlays, it was beautiful. The presentation in that game was amazing, if only they could translate that to football. With all the different ESPN networks they could easily have 4 different broadcasts. ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ABC. Each with games broadcast every week in dynasty based on the level of the teams playing and gametimes. You would have the big matchups on ESPN and ABC, with ESPN2 right behind. Then some of the mid major games and smaller school games could be done with an ESPNU format. I know this is all just wishful thinking, but a man can dream right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #22
Pro

Bwnarrow3's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21
Mmmm... That's a stretch. I mean, we may have nice voices, but Nessler really is the best of the best. He and Jim Nantz are my favorite.

Check out my NBA blog here: www.thetransitionthree.blogspot.com

I'm an avid NBA fan and I'd love some feedback on my articles. I write about all teams too, so check out your favorite team!

Twitter: @bowen_connor and @transition3blog
Old 07-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudedominick
How many people here played NCAA basketball with the CBS as well as ESPN presentations? Two different commentator teams, two different overlays, it was beautiful. The presentation in that game was amazing, if only they could translate that to football. With all the different ESPN networks they could easily have 4 different broadcasts. ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and ABC. Each with games broadcast every week in dynasty based on the level of the teams playing and gametimes. You would have the big matchups on ESPN and ABC, with ESPN2 right behind. Then some of the mid major games and smaller school games could be done with an ESPNU format. I know this is all just wishful thinking, but a man can dream right?
I like this idea. I kind of wish the dynasty was better about proper TV exposure, even if the in-game broadcast where the same.

For example, if you play a game on any day of the week, you should almost certainly get a NATIONAL broadcast. Now...there should be different levels of national broadcasts. Obviously the game of the week is the most watched, and this should most impact your TV ratings. And the National broadcast games on Saturday should be the most watched.

But, for instance...in my current online Dynasty, I played a game at Penn State on Sunday at like 6pm. So a) it's after the NFL games (but before NFL Sunday Night Football, and b) it's the only college football game on Sunday. Yes, it's Syracuse at Penn State, so obviously not the most glorious match-up, but still, the only football on tv at that time. I'm sorry, but it'd be a national broadcast, even if it were just on ESPN2. I shouldn't get the same TV exposure boost from it as if I were to play like the noon Saturday national exposure game, but still should be better than regional broadcast.

Also, the following week, I played Toledo on Friday night. I was the only game on Friday night. This again, should have been national exposure, but again, probably only on ESPNU or something week. But being the only college football on TV at that time slot on that day, I should have got a better boost than just regional broadcast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »