Home

When to offer scholarships?

This is a discussion on When to offer scholarships? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: When to offer scholarships?

It all depends ... there are so many factors that it's hard to say there is a great time to offer, so separate these. Keep in mind my two dynasties are with Washington State (year 2, still a 1* school) and Eastern Michigan (year 4, now a 3* school)

*Regardless of his rating, if I'm a guy's #1 and I feel I'll want to sign him at any point, I offer if I haven't already. He might commit, he might not, but if he does it saves me a lot of minutes.

*If it's a player whose caliber is in line with my school's, I'll battle for him until I'm in a spot where I feel an offer is necessary. That might mean when I'm #1 or it might mean when he's softed somewhere and I need to make up ground. If I feel he's really leaning toward another school, I throw it out there.

*If it's later in the process, I've filled my team's needs and I've got extra hours to play around with, I dive back in and look for players out of my team's caliber (4-5* guys). There are always a handful that haven't been offered by anyone yet. OFFER THEM RIGHT AWAY. Get on their board, start making promises, and get them signed before anyone else does. I started trying this after year 2 at EMU because I'd signed all interested 3* guys and didn't really need any 2*, and was surprised how well it worked.

So in short... if you're the guy's #1 and you're going to want to sign, offer.

If the guy is in your team's range and you're not #1, don't offer until you've gotten #1 or feel you need to to stay in the game.

If the guy is out of your team's range but hasn't generated much interest from other schools, offer right away.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

To start off I always only take guys who have me listed in their top 4. I almost always offer my guys week one to take a couple of insta commits and get an early points boost.

I will continue to add some players to my board as others are dropped, and I'll usually wait until they are green or have me at #1 before I offer them a scholarship during the year.

Maybe this isn't the most efficient way to do it, but it works well for me on all-american.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 AM   #19
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I have always offered week one.

Me too, even if I have a full board, everyone gets an offer first week. Game allows that many for some weird reason, even when you have fewer available scholly's. The offer produces the most points of any action typically, and if you have a full board you only have enough points for one 10 minute action for most recruits so you need it to count.

Recruit responses to the offer when you advance to week 2 are insightful too, if you offer a scholly and the guy's interest drops, you can cut him from your board immediately and stop wasting time/points on him.

I see NO down side to this approach.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #20
Pro

SGMRock's Arena

OVR: 8

Once I add the 15-20 to my board I want to focus on the first week I make sure I offer all of them on my board a scholership right then. Sometimes I get 2 or 3 instant commits when I advance to week 2 and then I don't have to spend anymore time calling them and can focus more time on the others or add a couple more to the board.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #21
Rookie

Once I add my 15 to 20 players on my board I offer them right away in week one. It always works best to offer as quick as possible even if they aren't in your top 3. No good comes out of holding out on an offer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #22
Rookie

yoda43's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I try to wait until he's green and I'm #1, as that seems to get the most instant commits, but sometimes you need to make up ground, or you need to get an offer out there to avoid losing the guy. If you're within striking distance at #2 and he soft commits to the #1, you probably want to offer quickly.

This is a theory, but I think you're best chance at an instant commit is when you have green, #1, AND he's completed all of his visits.

I never offer if I'm not in the top 3.
I agree 100%. When i build my recuriting board i try to focus my attention on 10 to 15 guys. Usually i always go after guys who have my school listed in their top 3. From the start i usually offer any player who has my #1, that way i have a change at an instant commit. In my opionion there is always a week 1 instant commit out there for you, its just a matter of finding that guy. The last 3 seasons i have received an instan commit in week 1. Also when i recurit against someone in front of me i try to follow a similar theory to the one above. 1st make sure you are within striking distance before you offer. If your in 3rd but 700-800 points behind you probably wont have much luck offering. But, if you wait until your 100-200 points behind you might have a shot. 2nd if your chasing someone, try to hold out until you can make an offer and a visit on the same week. This will be a huge point boost, and sometimes its enough to even give you that commit. 3rd, if you do all thses things and you still see your recurit soft commit......dont give up - if your close you can still get him!!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 28

I always offer as early as possible. Not sure if it really impacts their interest from week to week but it doesnt hurt. You can always drop them if you get too far behibd another school. Good thread.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 0

So basically, recruiting is random.

I typically make offers and promises right away in week 1. Being North Texas sucks when it comes to recruiting and this is the only way I have figured out to build points the quickest.

I am going to switch philosophies next season and will not make an offer until I have green bar. I'll see if that makes any difference.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »