Home

When to offer scholarships?

This is a discussion on When to offer scholarships? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #33
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: When to offer scholarships?

I left Rutgers and accepted the HC job at Kentucky and when I got to offseason recruiting, I noticed that most of the players on their board did not have offers.

Now, when I offered them in Week 1 of the offseason, it generated 0 (zero) points.

It was like a slap in the face to the recruits IMO. Basically, how could you wait this long to offer me a scholarship.

My strategy has always been to add 10 of my top players to my board week one and give each of them 60 minute calls and offer scholarships in Week 1.

Once I see that I may be falling behind with some recruits, I drop them from my board and add new guys.

But I only do 60 minute calls each week. Gives me the most bang for my buck.

Last season, I had the #2 recruiting class in the nation doing this. Landed 4 5* recruits (although I built up the school prestige over 4 years to get to this point).
Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #34
Fear The Spear

37's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclutch
So what's the biggest oint gap you guys have overcome? When i start out around -300 i never even try. Am I missing out not going after these guys?
-250 is my limit...maybe -280 if i REALLY need the guy...but no thank u to anybody over -300...recruiting minutes are too precious
Old 08-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #35
Rookie

HokieTokie's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarato
Here's a little secret I stole from a blog post on the NCAA 11 site last year regarding recruiting. If I'm not number one at week 1 I try not to offer until the week of the campus visit. Has helped me steal many a soft commits and players I've started off as interest number 10. You basically get a double boost that week for offering and the visit. Kinda true to what might happen in real life, it often leads to a commit the very next week if I'm already close to the top.

^^^ Thread solved. Thanks Jarato

Right now I have the #2 recruiting class on AA with a 2* teambuilder school. 10 3* recruits in week 5. Probably 5 were signed week 1, all offers where when I was #1.

I'm sure I'll drop out of the top 20 by the end. I often have to remove players from my board b/c i'm running out of scholarships. If you offer too many you're coach loyalty will drop (or so I've heard). 1 year I'm pretty sure i was over by 1 recruit, or it was close.

Does anyone know if a recruit will sign if you offer and you're number 2 or 3?

Last edited by HokieTokie; 08-25-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclutch
So what's the biggest oint gap you guys have overcome? When i start out around -300 i never even try. Am I missing out not going after these guys?
In an actual battle? Probably somewhere around the -300 mark.

However, there have been times where I've offered to a guy late in off-season recruiting and haven't even been on his list (with his #10 around -1000) and I've ended up being the only one to offer and snagged him
Old 08-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #37
Rookie

SOBAY310's Arena

OVR: 4

I have always offered a scholarship to everyone on my board the first time I contact them.

Is there a reason not to do it this way?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #38
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOBAY310
I have always offered a scholarship to everyone on my board the first time I contact them.

No, some guys want to believe the programming is more sophisticated but its not. I don't think the CPU sees anything but the points, and a scholly offer generates the most points. I offer everyone on my board in week 1 and often have a top draft class.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #39
Rookie

HokieTokie's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOBAY310

It can be bad because if you offer a scholarship to someone who has you as the #2 school they probably won't instant-commit. Whereas if you talk to them for 1-2 weeks and become #1 on their list AND THEN offer the scholarship, they might sign on the spot and you'll save future time spent recruiting that player.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #40
MVP

DorianDonP's Arena

OVR: 9

I always offer all of the prospects week 1. I usually always get at least one instant commit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »