Home

The Air Raid Offense

This is a discussion on The Air Raid Offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #17
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: The Air Raid Offense

Air Raid offense is amazing in this game. Crossing and drag routes are everywhere and are the best routes to beat the overpowered man defense. Lots of halfback passes out of the backfield so you can destroy corner blitzes or punish delayed coverage. Plenty of screens too.

One problem is that its hard to run the ball. Although air aids are known for passing, teams like Texas Tech and Houston actually ran the ball pretty well the last couple of years. Since they pass so much the defense has less guys in the box which makes running easier. However in this game I'll run into those 3 or 4 men in the box and still get very minimal gain. The defenders get off the block sooner than they should.

Any good run plays or strategies for running with the Air Raid? I usually use Texas Tech's playbook, although they're all pretty much the same.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:21 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21

Any good run plays or strategies for running with the Air Raid? I usually use Texas Tech's playbook, although they're all pretty much the same.
One of the best Run Plays I've seen so far is "HB Dive" out of Spread Flex in Louisiana Tech's playbook. It hits a lot faster than most to the zone plays (and I don't really like Base for some reason).

I really only run HB Dive, Speed Option, and Jet Sweep (I keep HB dive as an audible so I can check to it at any time).

When running the ball, it's all about counting numbers. How many defenders are there in the box? This will tell you run or pass. If can get a hat on a hat (each Lineman has a man to block), then run the ball and find the seam. Also, I NEVER call a run play. I only "check" (audible - either formation audible or preset audible) to it if I have numbers:

1 Back, 4 WRs = Run with 5 in the box
1 Back, 1 TE, 3 WRs = Run with 6 in the box (the TE gets added to the blocking scheme)
1 Back, 2 TEs, 2 WRs = Run with 6 FOR SURE, possible 7
2 Backs, 3 Wrs = Run with 6 in the box

Now, if you run the Zone Read play, you can actually add a number to each "equation" above because you are basically leaving one player unblocked (the read defender). Now you have more hats (O-Linemen) for the other defenders.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #19
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bindel
One of the best Run Plays I've seen so far is "HB Dive" out of Spread Flex in Louisiana Tech's playbook. It hits a lot faster than most to the zone plays (and I don't really like Base for some reason).

I really only run HB Dive, Speed Option, and Jet Sweep (I keep HB dive as an audible so I can check to it at any time).

When running the ball, it's all about counting numbers. How many defenders are there in the box? This will tell you run or pass. If can get a hat on a hat (each Lineman has a man to block), then run the ball and find the seam. Also, I NEVER call a run play. I only "check" (audible - either formation audible or preset audible) to it if I have numbers:

1 Back, 4 WRs = Run with 5 in the box
1 Back, 1 TE, 3 WRs = Run with 6 in the box (the TE gets added to the blocking scheme)
1 Back, 2 TEs, 2 WRs = Run with 6 FOR SURE, possible 7
2 Backs, 3 Wrs = Run with 6 in the box

Now, if you run the Zone Read play, you can actually add a number to each "equation" above because you are basically leaving one player unblocked (the read defender). Now you have more hats (O-Linemen) for the other defenders.
Thanks I'll try using that halfback dive. I use Texas Tech or USC mainly so I cant run a speed option though.

How effective is motioning a WR behind the line and then starting the run play?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:46 AM   #20
Pro

blakty's Arena

OVR: 6

Based on the write ups, I assume Air Raid doesn't ask the QB to make any presnap reads or adjustments and it's all about progressions (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc). Right?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:17 AM   #21
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakty
Based on the write ups, I assume Air Raid doesn't ask the QB to make any presnap reads or adjustments and it's all about progressions (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc). Right?
I am of the understanding that the QB must be able to read the defense pre-snap, but they don't have option routes after the snap... at least in this game. I've heard Mike Leach say that the Air Raid is part Run & Shoot, so they may actually have route options, I'm not sure.

But yes, the QB reads the defense and then figures out the best choice pre-snap is my understanding.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2010, 04:19 AM   #22
Pro

Special27K's Arena

OVR: 9

Not an "Air Raid" comment really but, a general passing game question comment... How long do you generally give yourself in the pocket?

I try and get it out very quick what feels like a 3-4 step drop (timed by me counting 1,2,3 fairly quickly)

I do a pretty good job of it. I think I go through my progressions correctly and in order, I feel like they at least follow the "flow" of the play. Even though I play with a run first mentality I employ what I feel are the same concepts. I make a couple pre-snap reads preferably make no hot route changes unless I see a clear opening assuring me the completion.

I'm definitely above average at the game and one of the better "schemers" I know, at least in my head. I generally am not trying to get better at the game but, just grow in knowledge.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #23
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special27K
Not an "Air Raid" comment really but, a general passing game question comment... How long do you generally give yourself in the pocket?

I try and get it out very quick what feels like a 3-4 step drop (timed by me counting 1,2,3 fairly quickly)

I do a pretty good job of it. I think I go through my progressions correctly and in order, I feel like they at least follow the "flow" of the play. Even though I play with a run first mentality I employ what I feel are the same concepts. I make a couple pre-snap reads preferably make no hot route changes unless I see a clear opening assuring me the completion.

I'm definitely above average at the game and one of the better "schemers" I know, at least in my head. I generally am not trying to get better at the game but, just grow in knowledge.

Same. No More then a 5 step drop, and I also count it out in my head...I look primary, secondary, check downs. If I see nothing, I get outside the box, and throw the ball away, or pick up a few yards on scramble.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #24
MVP

OVR: 34

Dr Death, are you prefering this to the Run & Shoot?

Im so comfortable with the R&S now, that I cant see myself running anything else lol.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »