Home

The Air Raid Offense

This is a discussion on The Air Raid Offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #25
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: The Air Raid Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Dr Death, are you prefering this to the Run & Shoot?

Im so comfortable with the R&S now, that I cant see myself running anything else lol.
I am in this game. In real life... I will always be a Run & Shooter... if that makes any sense at all! LOL

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2010, 10:46 AM   #26
Banned

feedthehorse28's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossTown
Four verticles was explained perfectly. My high school team ran that play often, with one small difference: our coaches decided to basically ignore the outside receivers.

Our read for slot receivers (I played in the slot) was the safety and his drop, coupled with the man on me, if there was one. We would "tag" the play left or right, and whomever was tagged would be the receiver to make that read and adjust their route accordingly. The wide guys would keep the corners on the sidelines, the untagged slot receiver would draw the safety upfield, and the tagged receiver would read whether or not the safety followed that draw. If he drops straight back, the tagged receiver catches the ball inside, underneath the deep safety. If he flat-out picks one receiver or another, you obviously threw to the other one.

We ran this mostly against cover 3 for obvious reasons.
My team ran a modified version of the verticals play you've just described and I also played in the slot. The difference was our play could be run against any coverage due to the read or "tagged" receiver, as you called it, having the option of running three different routes.

If they went Cover 3 we would run the typical play as designed in the game with the read guy running a seam. If they went with a 2 shell the read guy would run a skinny post to get inside the safety. If they came out with an umbrella or Cover 4 look he'd run a dig. It was basically just making sure you crossed the safety's face and found the hole in the defense. Very effective play if you're o-line can hold long enough for it to develop (which wasn't the case with my team).
Old 07-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
I am in this game. In real life... I will always be a Run & Shooter... if that makes any sense at all! LOL

Interesting. I started out when practicing with BYU, with their default Air Raid plabook.

It has more formaiton variety, and borrows some elements of the run and shoot playbook as well.

Screens galore, also.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #28
Rookie

guru8's Arena

OVR: 6

So now, which Air Raid playbook is the best? Those screens run differently in different formations as well. The Trips set w a tight end screen tunnel screen hits faster even if the corner is playing man coverage. La Tech's is good,and so is Troys. Maybe because Franklin had just come from those spots, as well as Midd Tenn St. Neal Brown, the OC at Troy, is at Tx Tech now, and should be adding the no huddle tempo to that Tech offense. I think from what they've told me, they glance only on 3rd downs. Other than that, It's like every 4 plays to keep the defense guessing. Sorry for rambling.
NBA- Phoenix Suns
MLB- Atlanta Braves

'Life is not a sprint, it's a marathon.. you start off fast, and now ya wheezin' in the back" - Jay-Z (2005)
Old 07-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 34

Outside of the 60 series..there's virtually no difference between the R&S and Air Raid concepts, from what I can see.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #30
Rookie

guru8's Arena

OVR: 6

@SportsFlyGuy- RnS concepts really emphasize vertical stems and reads based off of that, while the Air Raid has you throwing to "grass" i.e. shallows, 60 series (like you mentioned) mesh, etc... some concepts look similar, though.
NBA- Phoenix Suns
MLB- Atlanta Braves

'Life is not a sprint, it's a marathon.. you start off fast, and now ya wheezin' in the back" - Jay-Z (2005)
Old 07-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #31
Banned

johntom2000's Arena

OVR: 9
Arrow Re: The Air Raid Offense

Hey Guys,

I asked this questions and got 42 views but, no answers, please help!

Quote:
Me and a buddy was playing around last night and played around with SMU, SC, etc. basically pass heavy teams. Well I like it so much, I am wanting to switch to that type of offense from the run heavy/smash-mouth offense I ran for years now to this type of offense.

What do I have to learn first before making that big a switch when going online? or This would be nuts if you have never ran this type of offense before?
I run with Miami online. I been a I-from Nebraska/wishbone option guy for years now. I like the "spread option" game of Florida. WHich I am new to "airing" the ball out. I have trouble reading coverages and pre-snap reading.

The playbooks I used the most have been VT, Miami's, and the Multiple playbook.

Basically I would like to try something new and spice up my offense in a whole different way!

HELP!!!!!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #32
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntom2000
Hey Guys,

I asked this questions and got 42 views but, no answers, please help!

I run with Miami online. I been a I-from Nebraska/wishbone option guy for years now. I like the "spread option" game of Florida.

The playbooks I used the most have been VT, Miami's, and the Multiple playbook.

Basically I would like to try something new and spice up my offense in a whole different way!

HELP!!!!!!!
As long as you're a decent passer switching to a spread or Air Raid isn't that hard. In all honesty Air Raid plays are pretty simple. Usually 2 of the pass routes go in the same direction so you can look for openings on both routes at the same time. If you're being pressured Air Raids always have a dumpoff route by the halfback.

Just remember that its a short pass offense. You only have 5 blockers most of the time so you need to throw the ball quickly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »