Home

Those that have trouble with deep ball

This is a discussion on Those that have trouble with deep ball within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 14
Re: Those that have trouble with deep ball

I've always had success, leading the WR to the sideline on verticals. i push up and toward the sideline the reciever is on. That way the QB is not throwing up the field, but more in between the numbers and the sidelines. For example on a go route on the right side I push up and right and it lets the WR adjust to the sideline.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1619
I've always had success, leading the WR to the sideline on verticals. i push up and toward the sideline the reciever is on.
Me too. But that doesn't seem to work this year.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
Pro

I also thinks it matters when you throw the ball. I've completed a realistic amount of deep balls and I've overthrown many. I've also had the CPU break several up. It depends on where the defender is in regards to how hard i try to press the button. Overall I like how the deep ball feels this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
Rookie

CrossTown's Arena

OVR: 1

I've been having great success with the streak route this year, due to a number of things.

1. Tall, bigger receivers are definitely a factor. My deep balls have all been to Jarrett Boykin (VT), listed at 6-2 220, and he really handles his positioning well.

2. Don't be afraid to pump fake. A lot of times I'll call or hot route a streak, pump, and if no one bites, I don't even throw it. But it really opens up the field this year when they do bite, and definitely if you have a talented QB.

3. They don't have to be in man. Cover 3 is usually a no-no for streak patterns from your wide guys, but Cover 2 and variations of the Cover 3 that have both safeties covering thirds can be picked apart deep. Safeties just don't quite have the ability to cover that route like a corner does.

4. You really have to pay attention to your guy's release this year. Unless there's a HUGE difference, the faster man is not going simply win anymore. Locomotion, coupled in with a great jam at the line or a corner that accelerates well after turning his hip is going to be step-by-step with your receiver every time. Unless your QB throws an absolute dime, expect an incomplete pass. So look for a bad press by the corner, or throw it just as he turns his hips for a corner that's eased off.

5. Try to stay away from the streak in general. There's no need to throw it more than 5 times a game. I've noticed that the more I throw it (maybe when time is winding down at the half, game, etc.), it just gets harder and harder to complete. And not because the CPU is dropping 6 guys deep, but simply because they've defended it before.

I've never tried to throw it inside on guy who doesn't have that position, so I can't say for sure whether or not the OP is right. Football IQ to me says throw away from the defender. Down and in on the analog is where the corner and safety help are going to be. I'll have to try his method in practice.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #13
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

I think we might have conflicting definitions of "deep ball."

I can complete passes 20-30 yards downfield without too much trouble -- if I have time, make the right read, find my man and drop the ball in the gap.

What I absolutely CANNOT do is complete an all-out bomb, where the ball travels 50, 60, 70 yards in the air.

Like I said earlier: I literally threw about 100 bombs in practice last night (to a 6'5" impact receiver) and completed only five or six. I tried inside shoulder, outside shoulder, short, long ...
Old 07-23-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
Pro

Well not many QB's can throw 60 or 70 yards in the air. I define the deep ball as anything 30 plus.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:49 AM   #15
Banned

Strummer101er's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1619
Well not many QB's can throw 60 or 70 yards in the air. I define the deep ball as anything 30 plus.
Unfortunately in this game they can. I have a QB with THP 81 who can routinely launch it 65 yards. They have to tone that down a bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
Rookie

209vaughn's Arena

OVR: 1

You have to watch the Safetys, if they go one deep safety, you can usually beat them deep. If they drop back two deep safetys, then you have to go underneath.

Also, if they stack the box on you, audible to a PA pass and go deep.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »