Home

Anyone Using Good Ol Fashion, Base 4-3?

This is a discussion on Anyone Using Good Ol Fashion, Base 4-3? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: Anyone Using Good Ol Fashion, Base 4-3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfRed75
I'll be using the base 4-3 in a way with the Peso. 4-3 package and concepts with a hybrid safety/linebacker "peso" back in for the SAM backer.
I just use the 425 with Hagg at SS2. The 4-3 blitz packages just don't really translate well to what Nebraska does in real life.

In my dynasty, I would really like to run the 4-3 with a Peso backer, maybe recruit a larger sized SS to slide down to LB through position changes, but the 4-3 just doesn't seem to be put together all that well. I actually thought about doing the same concept as the Peso backer but at MLB. 4-3 D with some quicker outside backers and then a large safety playing MLB. A couple years ago (under Cosgrove ) we used Major Culbert in that role against Missouri's spread and it worked fairly well.

One bad thing about the 4-3 is that there are like 40 plays in 4-3 Normal and it takes 8 seconds to scroll to the middle of them to pick a play.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 AM   #10
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

lol... it wasn't too long ago people asked, "Anyone using good ol fashion base 3-4". Ah, the cycles of football.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:50 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 15

I try to transform all defenses I run into a 3-4.

It's not about having two good MLBs so much as having one great DT. If your one DT can come any where near the job that two DTs can, then you keep the quarterback and offensive line confused by blitzing different linebackers. Also, 3-4 allows for more speed on the field. DTs are some of the slowest players in the game, while DE and LBs have decent speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2010, 02:40 AM   #12
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I run a 4-3 scheme, but I run it the way OSU runs it in real life. The LOLB is called the "star" backer. This position is a hybrid between a linebacker and a safety. It's typically a guy who is faster than most linebackers but slower than most safeties, and is bigger/more physical than most safeties but smaller than most linebackers.

Anyways, depending on where we line him up, we can change from a 4-3 to a 4-2-5 at any given moment. It allows us to keep more speed on the field than a traditional 4-3 (helpful against all those Big XII spread offenses), but still enables us to have the physicality against the run of a 4-3.

In short, yes, I run a 4-3.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:07 AM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Since Virginia is switching to a 4-3 this year under new head coach Mike London, I've been playing with a 4-3 after having played with the 3-4 exclusively for years.

I'm still in the adjustment phase, but I'm picking it up.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:11 AM   #14
Banned

OVR: 26

I used to use 4-3 but my linebackers are weak (hell my whole defense is weak) so I changed to 4-2-5...not bad, but not great.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:17 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I run a 4-3 scheme, but I run it the way OSU runs it in real life. The LOLB is called the "star" backer. This position is a hybrid between a linebacker and a safety. It's typically a guy who is faster than most linebackers but slower than most safeties, and is bigger/more physical than most safeties but smaller than most linebackers.

Anyways, depending on where we line him up, we can change from a 4-3 to a 4-2-5 at any given moment. It allows us to keep more speed on the field than a traditional 4-3 (helpful against all those Big XII spread offenses), but still enables us to have the physicality against the run of a 4-3.

In short, yes, I run a 4-3.
Sounds exactly like what Nebraska did last year (and plans to expand on this year), except we call our guy the Peso.

That is ideally what I would do in a dynasty, recruit a bigger/slower strong safety, slide him down to OLB and make a 4-2-5 out of the 4-3. I just can't decide which blitz packages I like more, the ones in the 4-2-5 book or the ones in the 4-3 book.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2010, 07:55 PM   #16
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHusker25
Sounds exactly like what Nebraska did last year (and plans to expand on this year), except we call our guy the Peso.

That is ideally what I would do in a dynasty, recruit a bigger/slower strong safety, slide him down to OLB and make a 4-2-5 out of the 4-3. I just can't decide which blitz packages I like more, the ones in the 4-2-5 book or the ones in the 4-3 book.
It's really becoming a necessity these days in the Big XII because everyone is spreading the field so much. The more speed you can get on the field the better. It's getting harder and harder to put a traditional 4-3 on the field because of all the spread offenses. We've even started using 3 down linemen sets over the past few years, which we used to hardly ever do.

Still, even though you need speed on the field, you still have to be physical on defense. That's why I like having the "star" or "peso" backer because you get a good mix of both. Of course, having Suh helps too. lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »