Home

Playcalling strategy help

This is a discussion on Playcalling strategy help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 16
Playcalling strategy help

I feel completely lost on offense. I never know which formation to use or what play to call. I'm using Penn State, but I'm never certain which formations I should use or what play I should call. I always feel like I'm just picking some random pass play on passing downs, which doesn't feel very strategic to me.

I'm also not very good at reading defenses. The only thing that I can do is pick up what the safeties are doing right after the snap, but that's about it

I feel like my offense would improve greatly if I had any sort of gameplan or strategy when picking plays.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCo-LINEBACKER-
Yes, theyre are, healthy people to, not the obese kind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Playcalling strategy help

From what I've read on here, the CPU D picks their play based on yours, not what you MAY play. SO, it basically does not matter. You can check this out by calling an audible. They basically know exactly wha tyoure running no matter what. They wont always succeed at stopping you but it rarely seems to matter.

The PA plays are supposed to be linked to the run plays in some fashion so if you call a number of runs plays/ a certain one, a PA play that is linked to it is supposed to be good but PA plays get you sacked 99% of the time.

I can call 50 straight run plays down the center and then call a pass play and the ywill always know its a pass play.

This is the vibe I am getting. The game is still fun and I still liek to mix it up for realism but I do not think it actually matters.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahbaby123
I feel completely lost on offense. I never know which formation to use or what play to call. I'm using Penn State, but I'm never certain which formations I should use or what play I should call. I always feel like I'm just picking some random pass play on passing downs, which doesn't feel very strategic to me.

I'm also not very good at reading defenses. The only thing that I can do is pick up what the safeties are doing right after the snap, but that's about it

I feel like my offense would improve greatly if I had any sort of gameplan or strategy when picking plays.

Any help would be appreciated!!
I think reading defenses is something that you should be able to do. At least be able to tell Man from Zone prior to the snap. Go to practice mode and set the D on random and focus on the D. Watch replays. Get used to the various looks in Man and Zone.

From what you say about yourself it may be the Pro offense would be good for you. The passes are mostly short, enabling you to get the ball out quickly. Don't feel overwhelmed by the size of the playbook. In practice mode find 5-8 passing plays that you can get comfortable with. One word of advice, if you continue to struggle w/ reading defenses, find some passing plays that have both Man and Zone beaters.

I use Air Raid... they have one play that I love on first down. The far right WR... B on the 360 controller... does a crossing route at about 5 yards. Good for Man. The A WR does a 10 yard hook... good for Zone. Y does a fake slant, then out route while X runs a 10 and in... the 10 and in is good for Man or Zone.

So w/ out hot routing anyone you have a play where 3 of the routes can beat whatever the defense does, provided you can read what they are doing after the snap.

Like I said... 5-8 plays and keep it simple. Eventually you can expand on that, but from what you describe I think this would be a good avenue for you.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
Rookie

kingoftroy59's Arena

OVR: 1

Here is a basic outline (excluding things like cloud zones, spies, and robbers) of potential defensive schemes that you can identify based on presnap reads:

If you see one high safety, you should instantly think that the opponent will either be in Cover 1, or Cover 3. If the opponent is in cover 1, the safety will be responsible for the deep middle of the field, while all other are defenders locked in man coverage. The easiest way to defeat this coverage is to throw go routes to your fastest outside receiver. If that isn't an option, work your crossing routes like the mesh, and slip some backs into the flat. If they are in cover 3, the field will be split into three deep zones by the hash marks, with the corners occupying hash to sideline, and the safety once again covering the middle. Against this coverage, try to work your slots up the hash marks, and make the FS pick his poison. When you see him commit, rifle it on a line to the slot left open. Quick routes like curls and slants will also be effective.

If you see two high safeties, you should prepare for either cover 2, cover 4, or cover 5. In a base cover two, the corners will occupy the flats, while the two safeties will split the field in half (sideline to hash mark). Against this coverage, look to attack the fade hole (the area directly between the rolled corner and half field safety) if you have a receiver good at getting off the line. You should also look to exploit the middle of the field -- the smash route out of trips, and four verticals are both great plays against this coverage. Against cover 4, the field will be split into four zones by the corners and safeties. Again, you can attack the middle, but take short, easy routes like curls and slants as long as they give them to you. Cover 5 (man under two deep), sees the undercoverage man up on the receivers, while two safeties cover deep. If you come up against this coverage, spread the D out and RUN THE BALL, especially if you have a fast QB like Penn State does. You can also work crossing routes like the mesh to get receivers open underneath. Slots will often be covered by linebackers, so use the speed mismatch to your advantage.

If you ever see a Cover 0 look (no safeties, everyone in the box) GO DEEP!

Hopefully this helps!

Last edited by kingoftroy59; 07-25-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
I think reading defenses is something that you should be able to do. At least be able to tell Man from Zone prior to the snap. Go to practice mode and set the D on random and focus on the D. Watch replays. Get used to the various looks in Man and Zone.

From what you say about yourself it may be the Pro offense would be good for you. The passes are mostly short, enabling you to get the ball out quickly. Don't feel overwhelmed by the size of the playbook. In practice mode find 5-8 passing plays that you can get comfortable with. One word of advice, if you continue to struggle w/ reading defenses, find some passing plays that have both Man and Zone beaters.

I use Air Raid... they have one play that I love on first down. The far right WR... B on the 360 controller... does a crossing route at about 5 yards. Good for Man. The A WR does a 10 yard hook... good for Zone. Y does a fake slant, then out route while X runs a 10 and in... the 10 and in is good for Man or Zone.

So w/ out hot routing anyone you have a play where 3 of the routes can beat whatever the defense does, provided you can read what they are doing after the snap.

Like I said... 5-8 plays and keep it simple. Eventually you can expand on that, but from what you describe I think this would be a good avenue for you.
Thank you for the information!

A few more questions:

1. You're right. Generally I can tell pre snap if it will be man or zone. However, How am I supposed to know that when picking a play? For example if I pick a play that beats the zone but the defense comes out in man, I should just audible right?

2. Another stupid question: Which routes are good against man and which routes are good against zone?

Edit: thanks for the info kingoftroy!

I'm assuming slants and go routes are good against man, while curls are good against zone right? And Out/In routes are good against both?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCo-LINEBACKER-
Yes, theyre are, healthy people to, not the obese kind.

Last edited by ohyeahbaby123; 07-25-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

Slants are good against both as long as you can recognize the zones.

I will say, I pretty much use slants as my go-to routes, and while I do have a generally high passing percentage, most of my INTs DO come from misreading a zone defense. But you can still beat zone coverage with slants. Slant routes cross from one player's zone to another, so you want to hit the receiver when he's between the zones.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahbaby123
Thank you for the information!

A few more questions:

1. You're right. Generally I can tell pre snap if it will be man or zone. However, How am I supposed to know that when picking a play? For example if I pick a play that beats the zone but the defense comes out in man, I should just audible right?

2. Another stupid question: Which routes are good against man and which routes are good against zone?

Edit: thanks for the info kingoftroy!

I'm assuming slants and go routes are good against man, while curls are good against zone right? And Out/In routes are good against both?
This is just based off what you posted, but it sounds to me like you're thinking a little too much. Call the play you want to run. If the defense is in position to completely shut it down... meaning none of your 4 or 5 receiving options will be open, then audible or hot route.

I have my audibles set up like this: XBox 360

Y - Trips Right, I have a quick out to the inside WR on the Trips side and X, the lone WR opposite of the Trips, runs a slant. That play can kill man.

A - 4 wide, 2X2, the play is called Slants Middle. My main receiver is the Y, who does a quick out, but I also have X on a slant. Man or Zone, this play will beat it.

X - Shallow Crossing This play goes 5-wide and has the two slot WR's running a Mesh or Crossing routes. One will always be open.

RB - WR Mid Screen You can only run this play against Zone or Blitz in the game. That's why I put it as an audible and never call it as a play. If I see blitz from the open side of the field, I audible to this. If I see Cover 3 or Cover 4, I go w/ this.

LB - Trips right again and again the inside WR runs a quick out w/ the other two on the Trips side running a Post and a Corner. Usually hit the quick out, but last night hit B on the post for a 43 yard TD.

My first two audibles can beat Man or Zone, while my third audible is when I catch the D lined up in something funky. The RB and LB audibles are blitz beaters.

Once you find a playbook, stick w/ it. Get to know it in your sleep. Know your audibles. If it helps, write them down. So in game you can instantly select whatever audible you want, w/ out having to bring up the play call screen or check the play art. KNOW YOUR PLAYBOOK!

Man beaters - Crossing routes, Slants, Post, Corner. You used to be able to beat Man w/ out routes, a guy fakes a slant and then does an out, but they totally screwed up how the WR's run those routes now, rendering them completely useless.

Zone beaters - Hook. If Cover 2 - Post... If Cover 3 Four Verticals or any play with the slot WR running a Seam route. Timing is key here. Crossing routes. Another Cover 3 beater is to Hot Route your B WR to a slant. Get the timing down and pick up 10-15 yards every time.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Thanks for the pointers guys, maybe I will have a chance to beat DirtySouth12 now!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »