Home

QB Sim Stats: Only AWR Matters

This is a discussion on QB Sim Stats: Only AWR Matters within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2010, 04:06 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: QB Sim Stats: Only AWR Matters

Something still isn't quite right.

Look at GJ Kinne. He has just 67 awareness, and while he hasn't had the best completion percentage or stats, he's an outlier. You can look at the top end all you want, but I don't think it's a complete hard and fast rule, unless you feel like simming 100+ first season to show that these two GJ Kinne results are flukes.

I don't know how many of these you've done, and while the conclusion you've drawn can be generally applied, I think saying "ONLY" awareness matters is certainly incorrect.

I mean, if you're REALLY interested in exploring this, I'm down for helping you look at the data, but I'm not really interested in sitting around simming. And if you really want to try drawing conclusions, at the minimum, I think you need at least 100 seasons simmed (first season, every time, so that we're using identical rosters every time).

It would also be nice if these could be sorted with descending THP, THA, AWR, and Completion percentage.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #18
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
At least it can be corrected.

Actually it canīt if you play more than 2 or 3 seasons in dynasty as incoming recruits all have relatively low AWR.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #19
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
Something still isn't quite right.

Look at GJ Kinne. He has just 67 awareness, and while he hasn't had the best completion percentage or stats, he's an outlier. You can look at the top end all you want, but I don't think it's a complete hard and fast rule, unless you feel like simming 100+ first season to show that these two GJ Kinne results are flukes.

I don't know how many of these you've done, and while the conclusion you've drawn can be generally applied, I think saying "ONLY" awareness matters is certainly incorrect.

I mean, if you're REALLY interested in exploring this, I'm down for helping you look at the data, but I'm not really interested in sitting around simming. And if you really want to try drawing conclusions, at the minimum, I think you need at least 100 seasons simmed (first season, every time, so that we're using identical rosters every time).

It would also be nice if these could be sorted with descending THP, THA, AWR, and Completion percentage.
My premise isn't that there is a linear progression for success based on AWR. I'm saying that 81 AWR is the line right now. Anyone at 81+ will have success, and anyone below that, it will basically be a crapshoot.

Last year in the NCAA there were 43 QBs at 60% or better. Out of the top 100 QBs in Yards/Game, not one of them was below 50%.

Now, as for how much data we have so far. I've simmed 2010 twice and 2011 once. In those 3 years, there have been 53 total players who have had an AWR at 81+. There were 19 players for both 2010s and 15 players for 2011. During every sim, the ONLY players who have had a comp% over 60% are these 53 players. Every other player with an AWR under 81 also had a comp% under 60%.

So, just using the starters, there are 120 starting QBs per season, so over 3 seasons, that's 360 guys. This may not be pure science, but this is enough data for me. There has not been one QB in 3 years of simming to fail at this rule. 81 AWR is the number.

QBs Tested AWR 81+ AWR <81Comp% >60%Comp%<60%

These numbers do not include Martez Wilson who was >60% twice. It also doesn't include backup QBs who also have fallen into the same pattern.

In EVERY season I've simmed where Texas Tech's Taylor Potts and Steven Sheffield both play, Potts is >60% and Sheffield is <60%.

My premise is that 81 AWR is the minimum threshold.

Last edited by Palo20; 07-26-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 AM   #20
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

I wonder if this means that the CPU generated recruits that come in with far lower AWR down the line in dynasty will all complete less than 60% of their passes.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #21
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10

I don't have anything to contribute regarding the AWR progression or the progression of any attribute for that matter, as I'm in week 3 of my dynasty.

But as far as a QB's real-life awareness, knowledge of the game, and understanding of the defense, it is the MOST important attribute a QB can posses.

Let's compare Texas' Major Applewhite and Chris Simms. Simms had a much better arm than Applewhite, but he was prone to goofs and major mistakes (i.e. UT vs CU Big XII Champ in old Texas Stadium.) Applewhite had a better knowledge running the offense and thus was a better college QB.

However, Simms' arm translated better to the pros, but there's no question who UT fans would rather have at the helm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #22
MVP

OVR: 9

Good research.
This is scary for Dynasty mode, where incoming recruits have rock-bottom AWR levels and rarely escape out of the doldrums of the NCAA.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #23
MVP

Palo20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CizzLark
I don't have anything to contribute regarding the AWR progression or the progression of any attribute for that matter, as I'm in week 3 of my dynasty.

But as far as a QB's real-life awareness, knowledge of the game, and understanding of the defense, it is the MOST important attribute a QB can posses.

Let's compare Texas' Major Applewhite and Chris Simms. Simms had a much better arm than Applewhite, but he was prone to goofs and major mistakes (i.e. UT vs CU Big XII Champ in old Texas Stadium.) Applewhite had a better knowledge running the offense and thus was a better college QB.

However, Simms' arm translated better to the pros, but there's no question who UT fans would rather have at the helm.

I agree, there's no question that AWR is extremely important for QBs.

Being below an arbitrary AWR number (81) shouldn't be the difference between a Heisman trophy winner and borderline incompetence.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #24
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OK, last sim. In 2012, there are 13 QBs with AWR at 81+. Once again, they are the only 13 QBs at 60% or better. They also dominate in QB Rating and they all have outstanding TD/INT ratios.

QBComp%
Luck70
Wynn73
G. Smith71
Barkley70
McCarron70
C. Phillips69
Marscovetra67
N. Florence67
K. Newsome65
D. Shinskie63
R. Radcliff62
M. Ogilvie62
T. Forcier61

Other highlights include, some of the top THA QBs:

QB THAAWRComp%
Bray975745%
Doege966755%
Nassib957751%
Renner956452%
A. Murray957855%

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »