Home

I Know Everyone Has Issues With the Pass Rush In This Game But....

This is a discussion on I Know Everyone Has Issues With the Pass Rush In This Game But.... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
I Know Everyone Has Issues With the Pass Rush In This Game But...

I just looked over stats from 2009 for the top sack leaders. Robert Quinn from North Carolina (one of the highest rated DEs in the game) had 11 sacks and 12 hurries for a total of 23 pressures last year and that was in 13 GAMES!! Durring the season the offenses that went against him passed a total of 368 times which means he only got to the quarterback 6.3% of the time out of those 368 pass plays!!!

so now as I look at myself saying that the pass rush has not been strong in NCAA or Madden, I have begun to realize maybe EA knew what they were doing. Using these statistics from NCAA. Quinn should only be pressuring the quarterback on average 1 out of every 20 pass plays. If he is pressuring the QB any more or any less than that this may have to be adjusted with sliders depending on how sim you want the game to be. Now that I know this I will have to go back to the lab and take a look at my sliders. maybe they are correct at default for Heisman.

By the way, here is the schedule so you can look at the teams he played against. There were average and below average teams that the O-line still held up against him pretty well.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/...***-sacks.html

Thoughts?

Last edited by kzdwfy; 07-26-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: I Know Everyone Has Issues With the Pass Rush In This Game But...

I don't have too much of a problem with the amount of pass rush on the human side. If I rush 4-5 and the computer isn't in max protect or something, there's usually a decent rush. My biggest complaint on that side of things is that I just can't get sacks. Even when the rush gets to him he fires a decent pass out of nowhere right before I take him down. I've had about a hundred almost-sacks in this game, it's aggravating. But since I've been focusing on improving both my pass rush and coverage, I'm getting maybe 2 per game, which isn't bad. Perversely, I feel like I do best when I don't manually rush - I get more sacks from playing a linebacker or safety and doubling on a guy the computer wants to throw to. He'll roll out, wait, wait, and then eat my defensive end's collarbone. Good times.

On the CPU side, I do have a problem with it. I think EA gave them too much of a pass rush advantage... I shouldn't be running for my life every other play on AA default sliders. Play action is a sack or a very rushed throw like half the time. Routes with double moves - forget 'em, you better keep a close eye on your safety valve receiver. A lot of this comes from the fact that they blitz more than you'd expect, and seem to know exactly when and how to blitz... lousy mind-reading AI.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

Nice observations, I haven't had any problems with the pass rush this year. I'm sacking teams that I should sack and not getting to the ones I shouldnt. I also have talentless players.

However, one thing to note statistically: Of those 386 pass plays, it's unlikely that Quinn was in for all of them. Not only to players often sit out a couple of plays per drive, but it doesn't count time down for injuries, normal substitutions, blow outs, etc. So, his percentage of pressure is probably higher than the 6 or 7%

BUt nevertheless, I actually think pressure is fine this year. I don't get many sacks against good teams who have good offensive lines, but against mediocre teams, I'm in their backfield a lot especially late in the game while they're passing. The only things that really frustrate me with D-line play is when my guy 'animations' away from the QB.. like he does an animation that sends him in the complete opposite direction.. .when I'm trying to run away from the O-lineman. It's something that's always been a problem in Madden engine games.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel10
Nice observations, I haven't had any problems with the pass rush this year. I'm sacking teams that I should sack and not getting to the ones I shouldnt. I also have talentless players.

However, one thing to note statistically: Of those 386 pass plays, it's unlikely that Quinn was in for all of them. Not only to players often sit out a couple of plays per drive, but it doesn't count time down for injuries, normal substitutions, blow outs, etc. So, his percentage of pressure is probably higher than the 6 or 7%

BUt nevertheless, I actually think pressure is fine this year. I don't get many sacks against good teams who have good offensive lines, but against mediocre teams, I'm in their backfield a lot especially late in the game while they're passing. The only things that really frustrate me with D-line play is when my guy 'animations' away from the QB.. like he does an animation that sends him in the complete opposite direction.. .when I'm trying to run away from the O-lineman. It's something that's always been a problem in Madden engine games.
Thats a good point, Ill look into that and see if that upped the percentage at all. Perhaps to about 10% at the most I imagine....
Old 07-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #5
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49

Yeah, I have no issue at all. I just recorded 16.0 sacks and 15 TFL with a DE. It's a total non-issue.

@AdamdotH
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: I Know Everyone Has Issues With the Pass Rush In This Game But....

I dont have a big issue with sacks either my leader is on pace for 8 sacks.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonTiger
Yeah, I have no issue at all. I just recorded 16.0 sacks and 15 TFL with a DE. It's a total non-issue.
Same here. My DEs on the right side of the line have consistently been at the top of the NCAA in sacks. This is the first year in any EA football game where my top sack leaders are mostly from my defensive line, instead of like... the nickel back.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Rookie

mizzourah2006's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: I Know Everyone Has Issues With the Pass Rush In This Game But....

Yeah I was using Aldon Smith he stayed all 4 years (is a sophomore right now) and I recorded 48 sacks in 3 years with him. He also had an astounding 30-35 TFL every year. He won all of the major defensive awards his Junior and Senior year. This is on all-american with SDs sliders too, where pass rush is turned down a bit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »