Home

Anyone had any success at all with Play Action?

This is a discussion on Anyone had any success at all with Play Action? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Anyone had any success at all with Play Action?

I play offline only, so against the CPU, I also get throttled when calling PA plays. But there are a couple of things that help
  1. Read through the "coaching sliders thread", especially the benefits of adjusting the defensive play aggressiveness portions. Logical, and beneficial when trying to run a typical college offense. I don't blitz a lot myself, and I suppose most college programs save blitzing for times when offensive timing disruption and a good chance of scoring a sack are in order. Adjusting the sliders has helped...
  2. Call a couple of PA plays early in the game when you're near midfield against an aggressive D. Audible the routes of at least 2 receivers to slants, just in case an OLB blitzes. You could get an easy catch that way. -edit- When you do this, just make sure you either bring a wideout in and change his route to block left or right, or use a back who's in a receiving route and change his route to block as well. Just pray the blitz is an outside blitz, as the backs are, unless a senior with a high AWR rating, rather sluggish in picking up blitzes (realistic).
  3. Call any play, audible into another play and formation (not just the play itself ie RS stuff), then use the RS to audible into the PA variant for that play/formation. The D adjusts into or out of their play, and for some reason, is less aggressive in this circumstance.
  4. Save PA plays for late in the game. It is true that you have to establish the run, sometimes calling run plays on 3rd and long, to set up the D.
And yes, it is true that your otherwise aware and athletic OL do become lobotomized when pass blocking on PA plays. I think this is a code glitch that would only be resolved with a patch. Until then, try to work around the problem.

BTW, you'd think draw plays would also follow suit, in that you need to set them up with calling a string of passes, but for some reason, draws work similarly regardless of the game situation. Go figure...

Last edited by goalieump413; 07-27-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkysmooth
So I notice sometimes in your playbook certain plays can be "Set Up"

I'm starting to think this means the user is being set up by being lead to believe these plays will in any way catch the nano blitzing CPU off guard. I can run a dozen iso plays out of the I-Normal, but the second I try to run play action, the CPU knows and I can barely get passing icons up before I get sacked.

I have three possibly hypotheses for this problem:

1. They know what play you are calling, despite the fact that you have mixed it up from that formation.

2. They react to the ball way too quickly, so blitzers looking at the QB never even flinch at the play fake and just keep coming straight into your QB every play.

3. Offensive line play is noticeably worse on play action plays in an effort to curb how effective they are.

On 09, I could at least have some moderate success with play action. I could physically see guys biting on the play fake and at least being somewhat out of position for the first few seconds of a play. Now when the CPU sees a play fake it's a "last one standing over the QB is a rotten egg" mentality. I remember way back in the PS2 days play action was termed "sack action" because the CPU never ever bit on the play fake and it seems we are back to that again. The unreal reaction to the ball by CPU defenders on things like bubble screens or HB screens or even toss plays is disgusting. I don't mind the CPU playing good defense by scheming to stop the run and force me to pass, but nano blitzing your safety every single time I call a play action play from the I formation is a little bit much.

I feel a lot like I've married someone I just met, and upon getting to know them I'm not at all liking what I see.
All three of these are the problem.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
Rookie

Blkcanes's Arena

OVR: 8

I don't know if this actually refers to what has been ask but I've been trying to run a play action play and my QB starts handing the ball off back words for about 40 yards I'm actually scared to run play action now
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

I've been able to use it against the CPU on AA pretty well... you just have to get rid of the ball almost immediately after the fake handoff.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

I am starting to have some success with it on Heisman. Not enough that I'm comfortable, but some. I have completely stopped using slide protection on playaction, it just seems to confuse the blocking. I'm noticing I'm getting a little more time with this. If I see the fifth guy blitzing, I keep an extra blocker in. If six are coming then I'll call the PA of all together.

Also, you might want to consider the momentum of the game. Good ole "Mo" seems to be big this year. If the defense is flying all over the place and shutting you down and the d-line is getting off the ball and jumping the snap, then I'd stay away from PA. But I noticed that when I'm running the ball with success and mixing things up I've got more time in the pocket. I've even made it to my third read. Try to get a guy deep and one short for a dump-off.

I don't have the formula down to make it work yet, but those are some of my observations.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:11 PM   #14
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

It's pretty random. The game really doesn't care whether you've been setting it up or not.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #15
Rookie

tommy4uf's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkcanes
I don't know if this actually refers to what has been ask but I've been trying to run a play action play and my QB starts handing the ball off back words for about 40 yards I'm actually scared to run play action now
Its happened to me only once, so dont be afraid to call it just for that. That rarely happens although it should never happen. When it does press the x button and throw it to a reciever. It kinda becomes a option pass when that happens
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »