Home

Shutting down the "progression is fine" arguments

This is a discussion on Shutting down the "progression is fine" arguments within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Shutting down the "progression is fine" arguments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer101er
Progression to me is f***ed for one simple reason: Player ratings don't stay in line with the parameters set in the default rosters.

End of story.

1. I concur this is a reasonable standard. Rosters in season 10 should roughly reflect the season 1 rosters.

2. I cynically suspect this has been done consciously to fuel sales of cheats to accelerate your progression. Of course, that doesn't clean up the remaining squads, it just gives yours an advantage.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer101er
That statement alone invalidates your "progression is fine" argument.

Do you watch football on Saturdays and Sundays? If not, maybe you can get a job at Tiburon.
What it was meant to say was. "Yeah some players can't juke or spin, but how often do you see players without skills in that department pull off an effective juke or spin" I was typing extra fast and forgot to include that part.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
MVP

dan_457's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
If the system simulates real life (Making bad teams stay bad) isn't that what people want? Don't people want a simulation of real life in their games?
The system doesn't simulate life, not even close. Half of all of the teams now are as bad or worse than FCS schools, how in the world does that simulate life? The bad teams are too bad and there hardly any middle of the road teams, it becomes a mess of mediocre and terrible teams, with a few good teams sprinkled on top.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Ive been searching all over for the first mention of kickers not being able to kick extra points.

I don't know if I got lucky or what but I signed a 1star freshman kicker who is now my starting kicker. I can hit anything up to about 35 yards with him. I've never had trouble on an extra point.

Is it just in simmed games where the kickers have trouble? Or is it getting blown out of proportion?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Pro

nyqua's Arena

OVR: 6

What's wrong with progression? I think players progress at a solid rate throughout their careers. Isn't the bigger problem players coming in at a low rating/teams recruiting 1 star players who come in really low rated and drag down the teams overall ratings?
Old 07-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 9

I usually defend things like this, but it isn't true.

I have a hard time believing in 2015 that no college kickers will be able to kick a field goal beyond the 15 yard line. I have a hard time believing that, by 2013, OLB's will also be the top kickers on the majority of college football programs.

Further, finally, and this is the crux of it, I have a hard time believing that the talent level of college football is rapidly declining, where in, the relative talent level in the 2010 - 2011 season is significantly better than the talent of 2015.

Oh and one last one: I have a hard time believing that EA thinks that the "FCS East" "FCS West" teams will be some of the most effective programs in the country. Simulate four years ahead and watch FCS East beat D1 teams 40 - 7... Why? Because FCS doesn't "recruit," they keep a standard imaginary rosters, rated D- overall, but where most players are between 55 - 65, with a few 70s. Contrast this to the average D- overall team 4 years into the game, where most players are rated 40 - 55.

I think progression is okay for the most part, at least in overalls, but prospects are coming in messed up, ratings are all out of whack, and CPU roster management is simply poor... 7 QBs and no offensive line? 8 CBs and no kicker? C'mon now. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #15
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_457
The system doesn't simulate life, not even close. Half of all of the teams now are as bad or worse than FCS schools, how in the world does that simulate life? The bad teams are too bad and there hardly any middle of the road teams, it becomes a mess of mediocre and terrible teams, with a few good teams sprinkled on top.
For a minute though, ignore the default rosters.

EA stretched their ratings in Dynasty mode, yet for some reason didn't do it with the default rosters. I think 5-6 years in is the ratings we were meant to have with this game. People aren't understanding this because the default ratings are so high out of the box.

People think it's broken because their 1 and 2* recruits aren't progressing into the 80's and 90's, or that their team has an A across the board in every category. This does sometimes happen IRL though, see below.

One thing I can agree with you on though is that a lot of the times IRL bad schools can produce 2 or 3 good NFL draft prospects, and that doesn't happen enough. I don't know how EA can fix this part, maybe add some gems to the recruit class, because if this continues we won't see any players in our Madden draft class for lower ranked schools.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 AM   #16
Pro

dragon4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

There's a problem when the kickers are rated so low that they can't even make a simple extra point. If that doesn't ruin the gameplay then I dont't know what to say.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »