Home

Getting stops on 3rd and 20+

This is a discussion on Getting stops on 3rd and 20+ within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16
Getting stops on 3rd and 20+

So I just played this cheeser (Oklahoma Coma or something like that) who spammed the quarters D and scrambled out of the pocket every play. I dominated him at first. Cut through his defense like swiss cheese with the run and on his first posession I got three straight sacks. Then he goes for it on 4th and 22, I call a man blitz otherwise so he cant just scramble out and throw it 60 yards. He just motions LaMichael James out of the backfield and bombs it to him and he outruns the coverage for an 82 yard TD.

My guy fumbles on my next drive, I get 2 straight sacks and an incompletion. He goes for it on 4th and 20, I call Double Slots for maximum coverage (defensive keyed to pass, and sag off coverage), his tight end somehow gets WIDE open on the sideline, catches it, and outruns my corners and safeties for another TD.

On his next 4th and 16 I call a corner blitz Cover 3, but against zone the slot is almost always open on the streak...

Now I quit on this guy before the half was over because idiots like him dont deserve any wins, but I need to know how to stop crap like this in the future. Need a reliable play that can stop a 20 yard pass.

I'd try cover 4 but I think that coverage is a bit too deep. This isnt a hail mary, its just 20 or so yards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Getting stops on 3rd and 20+

For players who roll out of the pocket to get time, I think that CB blitz work pretty well. Double CB blitz from the Dime or Dime 3-2-5, with the other backs dropping into a cover 3 works pretty well. On 3rd and longs, I usually go for a blitz off the corners And even sometimes drop defensive lineman into a short zone.

I can't promise it'll work every time, but the idea is to cause the QB to have to throw quickly, and even if it's a completion, its a 10 - 15 yard completion -- hopefully -- at the most. Now I am not sure how this solves the problem of the HB running out of the pocket... In that case, you may want to manually control the player who is supposed to be covering him and run back to cover the deep threat.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Personally I'd call a man coverage, audible coverage to strictly cover the pass, leave it at one man per receiver, and blitz everybody else. Make sure the CPU players will get pressure on one side, and manually control a blitzer on the other side. He shouldn't be able to roll out (unless you're terrible at getting pressure manually) and should be forced to throw before he wants to. Usually it will be a 10-15 yard completion and hopefully an immediate tackle, or if you're lucky a deflection or pick.

Oh and also, I wouldn't play online, because this kind of crap is not football.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Banned

Dax(FlowLyfe)'s Arena

Pretty simple for me.

I run the 3-4 defense and in there there's this formation 3-3-5
I usually run it in man defense if theres 3 receivers, if 5 do zone.

4 receivers or less you get double coverage on certain people, and ill change my linebacker to not focus on the HB and double another guy (leaving the HB wide open underneath but he wont get much yardage) its like baiting him with candy making him not want to go deep.

Then Back off coverage, and pass commit.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 20

Too many people don't play right online...I haven't played online since...hell I don't know. The year the bug was in the game where you could hold the sprint button down, and the DE would be sacking the QB within 2 seconds of getting the ball.

that ruined online for me and haven't played a game online since. They abuse the bugs...they go for it every single time...put WR's at QB, roll out and...whatever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel10
For players who roll out of the pocket to get time, I think that CB blitz work pretty well. Double CB blitz from the Dime or Dime 3-2-5, with the other backs dropping into a cover 3 works pretty well. On 3rd and longs, I usually go for a blitz off the corners And even sometimes drop defensive lineman into a short zone.

I can't promise it'll work every time, but the idea is to cause the QB to have to throw quickly, and even if it's a completion, its a 10 - 15 yard completion -- hopefully -- at the most. Now I am not sure how this solves the problem of the HB running out of the pocket... In that case, you may want to manually control the player who is supposed to be covering him and run back to cover the deep threat.
Thats basically what I did except in the 4-2-5 formation. I think my problem might have been that formation though. It can give up a bit too many big plays. Its playbook does have a dime and nickel formation though so I'll use that next time.

Also going tot try setting pass defense to conservative in those situations because swats are more likely to happen, and I dont really need picks in that situation.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Banned

Dax(FlowLyfe)'s Arena

Hate people who rollout to sidelines on every single play, but what i do is take my DE, set him to QB spy so he doesnt move on his own, move him to around the slot receiver position of the side the guys usually rolls out to.

If he rolls out I run outside towards him and at that point its not buying him time, now hes just in find a receiver quick mode which can easily be a pick, or scramble around and throw it away mode.

Another thing you can do is take one of your safties (SS) and move him to the sideline your opponent frequently rolls out to and leave him around the Linebacker depth of the field to stop his sideline throws once he rolls out.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21
Thats basically what I did except in the 4-2-5 formation. I think my problem might have been that formation though. It can give up a bit too many big plays. Its playbook does have a dime and nickel formation though so I'll use that next time.

Also going tot try setting pass defense to conservative in those situations because swats are more likely to happen, and I dont really need picks in that situation.
Exactly get your nickel or dime package out and play coverage. He forces one deep you pick it. Or you can go the alternative route and send a blitz his way forcing him to throw quick and you come up to make a tackle. I wouldn't stress it too much man his success in long yardage situations was probably more fluke than skill.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »