Home

Converting from a Flexbone Offense

This is a discussion on Converting from a Flexbone Offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
Converting from a Flexbone Offense

I transferred an old flexbone team from NCAA 10 to NCAA 11 and was disappointed to see how ineffective the offense has become. I've been waffling around what type of offense I should run instead. We have a great running/blocking FB that I'd like to use heavily, a big armed Tebow-ish scrambling QB, a well round HB, and some big possession WRs outside. I was thinking of trying out Rich Rod's offense, but have had some success with a Pistol offense. I'm considering just playing that nasty FB at RB and using a RB by committee approach.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
Rookie

CrossTown's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Converting from a Flexbone Offense

If you've had success with the Pistol then go for it. Or try a run-based spread playbook like West Virginia or Florida.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Hall of Fame

jb12780's Arena

OVR: 23

I've used Army's flexbone and had tremendous success with it.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 9

Utah State has a flexbone & wishbone playbook. I prefer the "run balanced" book as it has some nice power formations for both between the tackles and option teams, but also features some spread for when you want to open it up.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #5
MVP

If you don't want to run the flexbone any more, just transform into a pro-style team. Syracuse and Tulane both have great playbooks for the personnel you described. Lots of I-Form, you can hand it off to the fullback, but ultimately his blocking skills may be what you need most for him, letting your RBs rotate carries pushing through the hole behind him. Possession WRs are excellent as you're mostly throwing short, high percentage passes, although if you ever pick up any speed WRs, Tulane's play book has plenty of WR jets.

Moreover, both playbooks have the Wildcat formations. Just formation sub your scrambling QB back to actually being the QB (and put a REAL WR in his spot) and this formation is great.

Tulane also has the Split Formation, which has a couple of good FB runs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

I would find an offense with a mix of singleback and I formations. In the singleback put that FB there, and then in the I formations use your runningbacks. Use formation subs to put different guys in each formation if you want to spread out the carries.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Banned

johntom2000's Arena

OVR: 9

I am just like you. I went to a Air Raid offense Houston's playbook. An having loads of fun with it so far in my offline dynasty. Try it out!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
If you don't want to run the flexbone any more, just transform into a pro-style team. Syracuse and Tulane both have great playbooks for the personnel you described. Lots of I-Form, you can hand it off to the fullback, but ultimately his blocking skills may be what you need most for him, letting your RBs rotate carries pushing through the hole behind him. Possession WRs are excellent as you're mostly throwing short, high percentage passes, although if you ever pick up any speed WRs, Tulane's play book has plenty of WR jets.

Moreover, both playbooks have the Wildcat formations. Just formation sub your scrambling QB back to actually being the QB (and put a REAL WR in his spot) and this formation is great.

Tulane also has the Split Formation, which has a couple of good FB runs.
I may just run a Pro Style offense. I just dominated Boise State with a good run first I formation heavy attack. Michigan's spread offense was successful against Lousiana Tech, but I'll need to test it out against a legit opponent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »