Home

EA speaks!

This is a discussion on EA speaks! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #17
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: EA speaks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
I'm thinking blog this week, patch early next week. They're well aware of the urgency of the situation.
Consider it takes time to build the patch (reproducing the issue, finding the source, fixing it, testing internally to ensure it doesn't break anything else) and then the patch has to go to Sony and Microsoft for final approval. The last part of the process takes 2 weeks. The first part takes at least a week usually.

On top of that, they don't want to rush too much. This is patch 2... they only get 2 freebies. They want to fit as much of it into the patch as possible (which is why I hate Day 1 patches... they tend to be tiny and fix minor issues that can wait, and by the end of day 1 the players have found a dozen more serious issues [for the record, it was justified this year, you can't have the QB fumbling everytime he crosses the LOS]).

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:05 PM   #18
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
That would be really unrealistic.
Oh yeah, I know it's completely unrealistic. It's just someone asked the question "what's the problem?" And when it comes to consumer expectaions, 'unrealistic' and 'reasonable' aren't in the equation.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 8

It may not be totally unrealistic. EA probably knew about the problem prior to the release date OR their QA and testing dept is horrific.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #20
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Consider it takes time to build the patch (reproducing the issue, finding the source, fixing it, testing internally to ensure it doesn't break anything else) and then the patch has to go to Sony and Microsoft for final approval. The last part of the process takes 2 weeks. The first part takes at least a week usually.

On top of that, they don't want to rush too much. This is patch 2... they only get 2 freebies. They want to fit as much of it into the patch as possible (which is why I hate Day 1 patches... they tend to be tiny and fix minor issues that can wait, and by the end of day 1 the players have found a dozen more serious issues [for the record, it was justified this year, you can't have the QB fumbling everytime he crosses the LOS]).
thing about it is, it's not like they just realized the outcry yesterday.
thing has been in the works, pretty certain of that.

i'd venture to bet that upon release they have a list of fixes, patch has been brewing for a while now.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #21

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
I would hope that most of that work is already done. If they're just getting started with it now, then that is just poor customer service.

Let's be clear here guys...This is a product that hundreds of thousands, probably millions of people have spent money on and it is broken. I expect EA to try to rush this thing through the red tape phase.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU

Last edited by Deegeezy; 07-29-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #22
Banned

Old School SD Fan's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
I'm thinking blog this week, patch early next week. They're well aware of the urgency of the situation.

When have you EVER seen that type of rapidity in a second patch release for an EA football title? Based on history, #2 won't hit for three weeks at the earliest I wouldn't think. And that timetable would likely indicate work began pre-release on known issues.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #23
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
I would hope that most of that work is already done. If they're just getting started with it now, then that is just poor customer service.

Let's be clear here guys...This is a product that hundreds of thousands, probably millions of people have spent money on and it is broken. I expect EA to try to rush this thing through the red tape phase.
Ok, I'm not a video game developer, but I have worked closely with software developers for most of my life. You don't RUSH a fix, no matter how much the public is demanding it. It's just an axiom of software development. Rushing this stuff invites more problems.

Have they been working on it? Yeah, sure, I'm sure they have been. We realized the problem around 24-36 hours after release, and it's possible they knew before that. That doesn't mean everything they needed to address was an easy fix. Sure the big problems we know about are, but we have no idea what all they are patching.

And you can't rush the approval process. It just is. EA has no say on Sony/Microsoft policy, and they have to abide if they want to produce games for those consoles.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #24
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Can anybody post what EA actually said? It's blocked at work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »