Home

Running the option

This is a discussion on Running the option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Running the option

Does anyone have much success running the spread option in a real game? In my dynasty with Michigan the read option does not work very well most of the time. The read is easy to make, but the play develops so slowly in the backfield that it usually gets eaten up before I can even reach the line of scrimmage. This goes double for when the backside DE crashes and I make my QB keep it. He almost never gains positive yardage.

Should I toy with the sliders? My concern with the sliders is that if I crank up run blocking or turn down CPU run defense, my non-option running plays will be too easy. But perhaps there is a slider combo I have not yet tried.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 11:40 PM   #42
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

I find that it is best as a check down play. If the D is obviously sitting back in a pass D formation, I audible to it. For some reason it also works better when the halfback aligns a little behind the QB. I am not sure what playbooks those are in however. Oregon perhaps...
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaticus
I find that it is best as a check down play. If the D is obviously sitting back in a pass D formation, I audible to it. For some reason it also works better when the halfback aligns a little behind the QB. I am not sure what playbooks those are in however. Oregon perhaps...
That is exactly how I am going to attack it. I will rarely call Read Option in the huddle and instead will use read option as an audible against a "pass" defense. Some formations in Mississippi State's book have read option as the run quick audible which helps a ton.

Most of my runs will just be straight HB dives or speed options. Very Oregon like speed options, attack the DE, couple steps and a pitch.

And I agree, the formations like 4 WR Trio and the various Wing formations or SG Spread Flex where the TB is a few steps behind the QB work best.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #44
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

THe HB seems to get a lot more steam running that way...
Old 08-03-2010, 02:42 AM   #45
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaticus
THe HB seems to get a lot more steam running that way...
Shotgun Spread Flex - HB Dive = Dirty play

The HB is at full speed when he gets the ball, the line gets their blocks and you are usually one cut from pay dirt. That is a permanent audible in any of my spread offenses.

I do wish there were Jet Counter Treys in the game though, there was one last year in UF's book, but it was broken.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium
Does anyone have much success running the spread option in a real game? In my dynasty with Michigan the read option does not work very well most of the time. The read is easy to make, but the play develops so slowly in the backfield that it usually gets eaten up before I can even reach the line of scrimmage. This goes double for when the backside DE crashes and I make my QB keep it. He almost never gains positive yardage.

Should I toy with the sliders? My concern with the sliders is that if I crank up run blocking or turn down CPU run defense, my non-option running plays will be too easy. But perhaps there is a slider combo I have not yet tried.
I would give Playmakers sliders a try. Been using a set based on his sliders and have had decent to good success running the read option. I would recommend only having run defense for the cpu at around 80 though when using a spread offense like Michigan's, he has it at 100. Don't be afraid of the fact that his sliders are Varsity either, with the right adjustments Varsity can be every bit as challenging as AA or Heisman.

Just finished a test dynasty with Michigan the other day, had a a decent amount of long runs with Robinson running the read option, along with some decent to good gains with Forcier throughout the course of the season.

Didn't seem like it made the rest of the running game too easy either.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 08-03-2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium

yeah i have sucess running the spread option.....mostly beacuse ohio states offensive line is beast like

the problem with michigan is their o-lineman are average......michigan isent built to run a spread option, which reflects in the game and in real life

i used michigan once and will never do it again
Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhouston12
yeah i have sucess running the spread option.....mostly beacuse ohio states offensive line is beast like

the problem with michigan is their o-lineman are average......michigan isent built to run a spread option, which reflects in the game and in real life

i used michigan once and will never do it again
Could not be farther from the truth. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Let's see they have one qb in denard robinson with great speed and running ability, another in forcier with decent speed and running ability, a good stable of backs to run the spread offense with some good speed, a stable of wr's with good speed as well and o-linemen who are in the 280-290 pound range who move well. What about that isn't built to run a spread offense in the game or real life?

The issues from Michigan's offense last year were caused by inexperience, not a lack of fitting into the offense.

And just for in the game purposes they are a B+ on offense and the o-line is not rated average in the game. Alot of people don't expect the o-line to be average in real life this year either, with Molk returning from injury at Center.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 08-03-2010 at 11:15 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »