Home

FCS vs. BCS schools

This is a discussion on FCS vs. BCS schools within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8
FCS vs. BCS schools

I just played my first FCS team in my 2nd year SMU dynasty. The thought occured to me as my QB throws his 7th TD pass of the game with 3 min. left in the .. 2nd qtr and I take a commanding 49-7 lead - why do FCS schools agree to play these games in real life? Is it the money? With the exception of Appy State at Michigan a couple of years ago it's almost a guaranteed massacre. As an AD or Coach why would you want to your team to be basically used as a warm up, sparring partner, punching bag etc.?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: FCS vs. BCS schools

I'm sure it has to do with the money the school receives to play the game, as well as it can used as a recuiting pitch. I'm sure that some borderline FCS/FBS recruits like to hear that their potential school plays an FBS team. I'm sure the coaches at FCS schools will mention on recruiting visits the FBS schools they have on their schedule.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 1

Not to mention there's really no downside.

1) If you lose and lose badly, everyone expected that to happen anyway and it doesn't hurt your chances at reaching the FCS playoffs.

2) If you hold them close or win, then you get some exposure and it has to be an incredible ego boost the rest of the season. When your in a tough game mid season, I'm sure someone will say ... hey we hung in there with FBS School ABC, we can do what is needed to pull out a win vs FCS School DEF.

3) Either way, your school gets PAID.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Pro

TallyBoi7's Arena

HUGE Paydays(Miami is paying FAMU just over $1 million to play them this year and is part of a 2 year deal dating back to last season) and it gives our players a chance to see where they match-up against the best in the country...also more than just Michigan has taken an "L" against FCS squads. Two ACC schools two "L's" last season and NDSU pretty much owns Minnesota.

Not to mention, if an FCS school does pull off the upset, the program receives A LOT of national attention which is AWESOME.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Reason why a FCS school would play a FBS school.

1) Money: A FCS school does not have the budget of a FBS school. The money they get can fund the football program for a year. I know Georgia has paid up to $500,000 to FCS schools to play them. To a school like Georgia thats not much but to say Georgia Southern that is over half the football budget.

2)Exposer: These FCS schools don't have TV deals so they are not on ESPN every week. A local sports channel may cover the school but only people that live in the area see it. This is a chance to get them on TV and the coach can tell recruits hay "Come to our school we play _____(FBS school name here) and you will be on TV." Then if they can do what App St did then that is a plus.

3)Coaching tools: They are playing up in talent. This will come in handy down the road. The coach can use this as a teaching tool down the road. They know they will not face a team as hard as that and if they can hang then that builds. Players remember that when they are playing a rivial.

Those 3 things are why the FCS schools play FBS schools. I played college basketball at a small school and we played 3 bigger schools ever year. We got our backsides heanded to us but the 3 things I listed were why we played.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
Pro

TallyBoi7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pitt
Not to mention there's really no downside.

1) If you lose and lose badly, everyone expected that to happen anyway and it doesn't hurt your chances at reaching the FCS playoffs.
Actually there is, last season we were undefeated going into the Miami game and we lost(as expected). The problem was that if we play another FCS school, beat them and gain a little more momentum, we might finish the season 9-2 or 10-1 and not sitting at 8-3 hoping to land an at-large berth in the playoffs(which would be fun to sweat out in the EA Sports NCAA series).
Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Pro

TallyBoi7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
Reason why a FCS school would play a FBS school.

1) Money: A FCS school does not have the budget of a FBS school. The money they get can fund the football program for a year. I know Georgia has paid up to $500,000 to FCS schools to play them. To a school like Georgia thats not much but to say Georgia Southern that is over half the football budget.

2)Exposer: These FCS schools don't have TV deals so they are not on ESPN every week. A local sports channel may cover the school but only people that live in the area see it. This is a chance to get them on TV and the coach can tell recruits hay "Come to our school we play _____(FBS school name here) and you will be on TV." Then if they can do what App St did then that is a plus.

3)Coaching tools: They are playing up in talent. This will come in handy down the road. The coach can use this as a teaching tool down the road. They know they will not face a team as hard as that and if they can hang then that builds. Players remember that when they are playing a rivial.

Those 3 things are why the FCS schools play FBS schools. I played college basketball at a small school and we played 3 bigger schools ever year. We got our backsides heanded to us but the 3 things I listed were why we played.
The 2nd one is a little iffy now a days. The MEAC and SWAC has a contract(that some aren't happy with) with ESPN. We have a Thursday night game of the week on ESPNU every week or tape delayed on Saturdays...the problem is that we're competing with whatever game is on ESPN on Thursdays.

Many FCS conferences have TV deals in place now that weren't in place a few years ago.

The CAA just signed what was called the biggest TV deal in FCS football...not sure how true that is.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15

Money, money, money!

It's all about the money, purely, plainly, and simply. Nothing more.

The same is mostly true when lower tier FBS schools play against BCS schools.

There is a somewhat unique case between UL Monroe and Arkansas. Not only does the University of Arkansas pay UL Monroe to play every season...but being that the game is played in Little Rock's War Memorial Stadium (as opposed to Arkansas' usually on-campus venue in Fayetteville), it's technically a neutral site. The University of Arkansas allows UL Monroe to count the game as a home game (and the attendance).

Ultimately, it's just a bit of paperwork trickery. Part of being a division 1 program requires having an average home attendance of 10,000. When UL Monroe plays Arkansas at Little Rock, the attendance is always 55,000+ and given that UL Monroe plays just 5 games in Monroe, they are counting just 6 home games (including the game at Little Rock against Arkansas). With the 55,000 fans at the Arkansas game, UL Monroe just needs 5,000 TOTAL fans across their five home games in Monroe...in other words, an average of 1,000 fans per home game, in order to stay Division 1.

Without the game in Little Rock, ULM would be drop out of the FBS.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »