Home

Safeties Playing Down in the Box

This is a discussion on Safeties Playing Down in the Box within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Safeties Playing Down in the Box

Im seeing a ton plays by the CPU and guys on line who have their safeties down near the line of scrimmage. How do you bring them down in the box aside from using the show blitz coverage adjustment with he left stick? It would def help stopping the run of guys running tosses and sweeps non stop.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Safeties Playing Down in the Box

A lot of times when they come down automatically, that means that six or more are coming on a blitz and they are dropping down to get into better position to cover the TE or back or they are coming themselves.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Rookie

Have you seen the CPU bring them down into the box only to drop into deep coverage?
Old 07-31-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

They will sometimes drop in short yardage or red zone situations. I don't recall too many cases of that outside of short yardage. Not to say it doesn't happen, but when the safeties drop down like that I have mainly seen some sort of blitz or on the rare occasion, man coverage when I'm in a short yardage situation.

The few times I can remember where the safeties did come within five yards of the LOS then drop into a two deep coverage, the safeties got beaten badly thanks to the new locomotion.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:08 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
They will sometimes drop in short yardage or red zone situations. I don't recall too many cases of that outside of short yardage. Not to say it doesn't happen, but when the safeties drop down like that I have mainly seen some sort of blitz or on the rare occasion, man coverage when I'm in a short yardage situation.

The few times I can remember where the safeties did come within five yards of the LOS then drop into a two deep coverage, the safeties got beaten badly thanks to the new locomotion.
Good looking out. This is good info.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

There are plenty of good with the bad things about this.

For one, it's very realistic because it's something done in real life. It does help against the run and helps to confuse the QB into thinking the blitz is coming.

However, it seems to me that the CPU shows too soon and makes it easier for me to audible to a run to the different side or to a pass play that can defeat man coverage with the blitz (ie, slants).

Although, I have seen a few instances where the CPU did drop off and it screwed me up big time. I was expecting to have a big window to complete the slant and the entire D drops back. Talk about panic mode. I just scramble for the sideline when that happens.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

Oh yeah, one caveat to this may be the 4-2-5 defense. I hadn't played against it until yesterday. Had a great game against Special27k. The alignments where really unique and the way the safeies dropped after the snap threw me off a bit.

In the first quarter they were wide and close the the LOS. And bought all kinds of pressure. He wound up knocking my QB out of the game with a broken shoulder. There were some snaps where it looked like he had a 5 man line. In the second half, I started seeing ghosts. He mixed it up on me and dropped them down giving me the look of pressure then no one would come.

Like I said, I've only played against it once, so I've got another learning curve to get through. But keep that in mind if run into a 4-2-5.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »