Home

Videos Showing Why Blocking FG's Is Nearly Impossible

This is a discussion on Videos Showing Why Blocking FG's Is Nearly Impossible within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Videos Showing Why Blocking FG's Is Nearly Impossible

I was thinking of showing why punts are too, but right now I have blocked two punts in the first half of my dynasty game. Punts don't feel like they're impossible, you just need to time it right. FG's though, definitely are nearly impossible thanks to the suction.

― Plato
Old 08-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoqball
I think punts and kicks should be blocked much more often in this game, and you shouldn't have to line up at the end and time the snap count right. Players should occasionally come right through the middle and block it. Blocks happen fairly often in college football, and they have never found a way to accurately put this in an ncaa game.
Agreed. Some college teams/coaches have made a living off of blocked punts/FGs. Frank Beamer, anyone?

I'd like to see EA come up with some ways to represent that in NCAA 12.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
Old 08-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Check out the highlights from this game.

http://www.easports.com/dynasty?_use...&sid=0&wknum=7

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

How did you block that punt? It looks like you did it out of the punt return normal formation but the strategy you suggested to me involved using punt block. How did you come off the edge so quickly and why does it look like you are offsides? Did you substitute your fastest player in?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #13
Rookie

I actually just blocked an extra point in the BCS title game in the 3rd quarter as Nebraska vs Boise. Timed it perfectly off the end, it was awesome!

I think part of the problem with blocking punts and FG's is there is never, ever, ever a bad snap in the kicking game. It'd be hard to do, but bad snaps and bad holds do cause problems. Rugby style punting should be in the game also IMO as many teams are doing it.

The entire kicking game screams to be overhauled, but it will never happen because nobody else cares.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

I did block it out of regular return which is strange. I have 3 on the season all from Return Middle. And it does look like I was offsides, but I promise you I was not on that one. The other you can see I wasn't, but they're two different returns. I have yet to get a FG, but at least I have 3 punts now.

― Plato
Old 08-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10

Really NCAA 12 could do with a Virgina Tech redux. Get scrambling quarterbacks to scramble more and scramble first a la Mike Vick, before looking to pass. And include some Beamer Ball! Make it to where special teams, blocking FGs and punts really matter!

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #16
Rookie

I was able to block several punts in practice mode using your punt return normal strategy, Canes 21. I actually think I might be getting this down to a science. I see what you are doing now. When you get the running start and a good jump on the snap, you actually are able to cross the line a split second before the ball moves backwards. I blocked several in practice mode but only time will tell if it will be that easy to block it in a regular game. Also, I think on some of mine I could be actually offsides but practice mode does not tell you if you are! Argh.

I wish EA would have just left the ability to audible to a special teams play in the game. Why did they take this out? It made blocking punts easier and it also saved me in situations where I accidentally picked a defensive play and needed to audible into a punt return formation but did not want to burn a time out.

And I agree that the kicking game needs a major overhaul! Are you listening EA?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »