Home

This game is too scripted.

This is a discussion on This game is too scripted. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
This game is too scripted.

This game feels too scripted. Too many times have I had drives(or the CPU) where it looks like I am going to score and then it dies or something unbelievable happens.

The last game I just played was a good example. I lost 17-13. I could have easily won the game, but the game did not want me to. First things got iffy when I blocked a punt, but was called offsides because my breath went across the line.

Then I had a drive where my QB was perfect on the drive, then I got to their 35, just outside my kickers FG range. When I got there, my QB missed three straight passes by 10+ yards. That happened numerous times.

Then when I brought the game to 13-14, I punted and stuck them inside their own 10. But guess what happened, on third down they ran up the middle breaking one tackle. Then I had 4 guys wrap the RB up and I figured I made them go three and out. Nope, their RB breaks the gang tackle an picks up 10 more yards and gets the first down. I figured okay, if I play a good solid first two downs again I should be good this time on third. Well, I held them to 2 total yards on1st and 2nd down. Then on third down they threw a screen pass and their RB broke 4 tackles. Yes 4, I counted. This let them run down the clock and kick a FG to go up 17-13 with 2 minutes remaining.

After that I had two more drives, both ending once I got near FG range in the same fashion as I stated before.

I know part of me is just frustrated I lost even though I was the worse team, but the game just felt way too scripted. I would be fine if everything happened in a realistic manner, but the way I lost felt unrealistic and just felt like I lost because the game decided I was not supposed to win.

Thoughts, if any?

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Rookie

TomBrady's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: This game is too scripted.

Happes IRL aswell. Is the real life scripted? :P
Old 08-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

My gut response, play BackBreaker.

My real response - accept it. It's a video game. Many factors come into play, but like TBrady said - it happens in real life as well.

If you feel you're getting a good string of passes, maybe take a timeout - settle the nerves of your "players".

I do this often to mimick real life where if my defense is struggling on a big drive - I'll call timeout to "settle" them down.

The game is what you make it, be creative, but also accept some predictability. I personally have not had the feeling of a scripted game.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

no...it does not feel scripted......beat the computer down to the ground and while they are on the ground keep beating them until time expires, that eliminates the feeling of it being scripted

and if you get in a close game, tough nuggies.....it can go either way...neither one of you rly have an advantage
Old 08-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
If you feel you're getting a good string of passes, maybe take a timeout - settle the nerves of your "players".

I do this often to mimick real life where if my defense is struggling on a big drive - I'll call timeout to "settle" them down.
Coaches don't take timeouts when their offense is clicking exactly as they should to settle anyone down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49

The game is not scripted. You win some, you lose some.

Do you really think that every game in real life goes exactly how it is "supposed" to go too? Good looking drives die out, momentum shifts suddenly, refs make questionable calls, upsets happen, good players have bad games, good teams have bad days, etc.

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
Old 08-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
Coaches don't take timeouts when their offense is clicking exactly as they should to settle anyone down.
Youre kidding right? It might not be college, but check out the Carolina Panthers vs. New England Patriots Superbowl game. Before Delhomme throws the touchdown to Proehl, John Fox called timeout even though Carolina was throwing and running all over them.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Banned

JJ_Bills9's Arena

OVR: 5

OP has a point. This only seems to happen on Heisman though. CPU dictates the game however it wants to. Unrealistic things happen at the most opportune times possible for the CPU, penalties, all kinds of things that happen so the CPU assures a certain outcome. Comeback AI is back in a huge way this year as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »