Home

How Do You Stop The Run?

This is a discussion on How Do You Stop The Run? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: How Do You Stop The Run?

It's not about blitzing heavy. Often times, if you send too many blitzers and they get past that first wave...they're in to the secondary with a lone safety to beat (if any).

It's about knowing when they're running or not so you can pick the plays accordingly. I know, that sounds ridiculous...like we're supposed to always know. I even foul up and guess wrong a lot of the times, but you should try to know your opponent's tendencies, the situation, his formation, etc as best as you can. All about raising the odds in your favor or knowing when it's about that time.

If you suspect a run, what I do is call one of these formations: 4-3, 3-4, 4-6, 5-2 (I use a multiple D playbook so you can find them all there). I sometimes like to audible to SHOW blitz to get my defenders crowding the line, either to put more bodies on the line or to even scare them away from the run (making them audible to a pass, then you audible accordingly).

I either control the MLB or a Safety, usually a safety if they've been eating me up. I act as the last line of defense or if it is an outside run, I haul my butt to which side he's running to to force him inside or to make a tackle.

If they're eating you up from passing formations using draws and what not, you have to gamble and pick one of the run-stopping formations anyways. Risk having a linebacker on one of their receivers if you really think they're gonna run. Coming out in a dime or a nickel will get ran on all over in the middle of the field.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 34

Manual Gap Control

If you are controlling a

DT: you need to read the play quick, and power move in the direction of the ball carrier. Dont worry if you make the tackle or not, but if you get penetration, you can blow his running lane up

DE: DL move to the outside, and make him cut back.

MLB/OLB: Read the guard, and flow to the football..take a proper pursuit angle. The guard will always lead you to the ball carrier.

FS/SS: TE run/pass key, or key off of the tackle. pursue inside out.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Rookie

tommy4uf's Arena

OVR: 1

Edge blitzing works well for me. Either have the OLB's or the CB's blitz off the corner and make your line get closer togeather and then make them all rush the middle by pushing L1 and R3 down( I think thats what it is. its just natural to me anymore). This works for me when im getting ran on and i know its coming, if your only pretty sure its coming zone blitz with the CB's blitzing. If you dont want to blitz then play man and do with the line what i said b4. Thats what i do, and i think it works pretty well. The idea of this is to give the RB know real way to go.

Last edited by tommy4uf; 08-04-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
MVP

oldman's Arena

OVR: 17

Of you guys that have had success against HUM running the ball. How many of you have found a way to run the 4-6 successfully.

WOO PIG SOOIEE!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
Banned

devinewon's Arena

OVR: 9

3-4. You have to get pressure using your middle linebackers. But you really can't stop the run in this game. This is NCAA Offense 2011 so you have to score more points than those guys.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »