Home

Heisman Difficulty Defensive Strategies ?

This is a discussion on Heisman Difficulty Defensive Strategies ? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Heisman Difficulty Defensive Strategies ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheisty
I refuse to adjust sliders......It just doesn't seem right to me. The only way I would adjust them is if it would give the computer the edge.

With that said, The gap between AA & Heisman is insanely wide. But I must said thats partially because Heisman is much harder now. Last year and years before I would beat any CPU team using Rutgers by 2-4 touchdowns.

Defensive alignment is#1. Ever notice on defense how even if you do man align the guys don't match up correctly? As quickly as you can adjust them!!! Also on offense if read the field as best as you can BEFORE the snap. You can get an eye for short wide open routes or even exploit holes in zones you have 3 eligible receivers in a general area and only a DB and linebacker are around look to that side as soon as you hike the ball. AND KNOW YOUR ROUTES!!!

What makes the game so hard for me this year is the fact that it seems impossible to break through the O-Line with a D-Line man. Usually I could hurry up the CPU QB enough now, its like old days when the CPU would get all the time of the world on madden and vice versa on offense. Perhaps I just haven't figured it out yet but its definately a problem (that I refuse to fix by adjusting a slider).

Ball control is imporant as well. Don't throw 3 passes and go three and out.....your defense would be spent. Or if you know your defense is over matched for a team ..... keep your offense on the field as much as possible. Milk that clock.

Yo wont win if you commit a bunch of turnovers. The tipped at the O-Line passes or when a D-Line man jumps 2 yeards in front of you and intercepts the ball are the worst!!!! Especially when you were throwing to a wide open receiver lol
You made some good points. I also agree, forget sliders. I want to beat the CPU straight up on Heisman, it's a challenge. The defenders not lining up correctly...also right on, you can be in a man defense, your OLB will be on one side of the formation and he's supposed to cover an RB or TE lined up on the opposite side of the formation. Right again on ball control. I use Houston and used to either hurry up or at least call my plays quickly. Now I take my time and make sure i call the correct plays. Also, my defense is a C, so the less time I have them on the field the better. What is the old saying, "the best defense is a good offense."
Old 08-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #34
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

guys just because ea shipped a game with the base settings all at 50 doesnt mean that they are balanced in the least. look at kicking you either have to raise it really high or lower it depending on level so the kickers kick accruate distances. ea didnt balance it for us. thats why they give us sliders. on heisman you have to lower to at least 35 in CPU pass d so the cbs dont run the routes before the wr's but you can lower the hum's ability or raise the cpu's in other areas to balance it. most sliders make the game more difficult not easier. to each is own and if your happy with default i think thats great. the last people i trust to balance tendencies are the guys from ea. they can program but i trust the community guys to balance it. Some of the sliders out there are amazing and provide more authentic looking football. thats the true goal that ea doesnt focus on. if your a football guy. a x's and o's guy then you have to have sliders. i want to see good oline interaction and proper push from the lines base on competition and its not correct out of box. thats just a example but this lives throughout the default sliders. i just hope if you dont use sliders that maybe if you get bored down the line that you try some out that looks close to default for you level and see if the game feels fresh from it. they totally change the game. for the better.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #35
MVP

erickonasis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by haze56
- 2 WR set, come out in a 4-4. Blitz both MLB's and put them in the middle. Make sure you have one set at both sides of the center.

- 3 WR set, 3-3-5 defense. Blitz both outside LB's and your MLB.

- 4 WR set, 3-2-6 defense, rush 3 guys and control your MLB.

BTW these are all man to man
This actually worked the first time i tried it....just need to see if its consistant
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #36
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8

After 4 games where I've won against Michigan, Michigan State, Stanford, and Pitt, all of which were as good or better than my ND team, I can definitely say that the 4-2-5 base set is the way to go. All games were close, but my defense was MUCH better than in the previous games I had been playing.

I agree that Man is the way to go, but I'd still mix in zone D's. Also, on passing downs, I usually will back up the DBs and will blitz on LB or safety on the outside and control that person and can usually get good pressure.

I rarely use the 4-4 formation, just the 4-2-5. It stops the run and I still run it against 4 WRs as it offers pretty good pass protection as well. I will throw in a few dime formations on passing downs as well and blitz on of the slot corners too.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #37
MVP

erickonasis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
After 4 games where I've won against Michigan, Michigan State, Stanford, and Pitt, all of which were as good or better than my ND team, I can definitely say that the 4-2-5 base set is the way to go. All games were close, but my defense was MUCH better than in the previous games I had been playing.

I agree that Man is the way to go, but I'd still mix in zone D's. Also, on passing downs, I usually will back up the DBs and will blitz on LB or safety on the outside and control that person and can usually get good pressure.

I rarely use the 4-4 formation, just the 4-2-5. It stops the run and I still run it against 4 WRs as it offers pretty good pass protection as well. I will throw in a few dime formations on passing downs as well and blitz on of the slot corners too.
after playing a few games on Heisman trying the strategies in this thread i can say he 4-2-5 is the best defense howeve you def need to switch it up in this game at times. And i just found the biggest thing that changed the whole game for me (which i know im probably really late ). I didnt know you could call multiple hot routes on a play
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 6

my advice for playing defense against the Heisman CPU is this:
1.Know how to play run defense
2.Know how to play pass defense
3.Know how to play "lost" defense
4.Know how to get pressure
5.Know how to relax in coverage
6.Know how to annoy the CPU
7.Most importantly don't go CRAZY lol

1****n Defense- the key with the CPU is to be opportunistic RARELY, conservative is the way to go unless team very talented, you must learn positioning LBs and safeties is key along with good user skills and blitzing where the run is going, using run commit minimally and usering with safety or LB is key also (back LB up 5-8 yards so you don't get sucked into run commit)

2.Pass Defense- the key is pressure, man coverage is the way to go most of the time unless facing a vicious offense or cover men aren't good enough, than go with zone, key again to all defense when you're anticipating/expecting is to place people in position to make a play, so Cover 2 for short/intermediate, Cover 3 for some routes that go deep but still want underneath help and Cover 4 for serious deep protection along with man coverage backed up, blitzing along with a good/great pass rusher is the key to pressure-learn to user a good pass rusher or a DT for a quick over the middle passes then knock it down, also learn to overload/blitz inside or outside/hot route blitzes or crash line to create different more powerful blitzes, the CPU unlike human players have a longer clock in their head for the most part so the CPU CAN be pressured into throwing more short less dangerous passes when a human player would just force it or throw it away, CPU rarely throws it away as CPU is rarely out of the pocket, finally learn to user coverage which is good for both human and CPU

3.Lost Defense-when you are getting whooped or don't know what to expect learn to have the PLAYS you're comfortable with vs mostly anything, only use lost defense when truly lost or CPU will catch on for the most part and get you, best lost defenses are Cover 2 man or Cover 3/4 zone, zone blitzes/ the reason I say zone blitzes are good vs the CPU for "lost" defense is because usually the CPU will dump it off right where you blitzed, because you know that you can control whoever is supposed to replace coverage in that spot and sometimes get some picks but mostly quick tackles slowing down the explosive offense a little

4.Pressure Defense-nothing is more fun than getting pressure but the key vs Heisman CPU is ALWAYS to be as safe as possible until you feel it's time, my point is if something is working vs the CPU unlike human players CPU adjusts fairly well but human players might not adjust as quickly due to hardheadedness, anyway learn to user the best pass rushers, learn to use as many blitzes as possible and their uses, and learn to get pressure INSIDE the pocket as the CPU doesn't scramble like a human player so inside blitzes are of more importance especially vs the CPU and don't allow direct straight passes, KEEP THE MIDDLE CLOSED vs the run or pass

5.Relaxing Defense-the key to this is knowing the CPU sometimes HAS you for a few plays so RELAX, also mashing buttons don't always work well vs a well oiled machine like Heisman as you can be embarrassed, so learn timing even more vs the CPU, learn to mix it up and be comfortable with mixing it up, learn to be calm, collected, and ready to move on and capitalize

6.Annoying Defense-sometimes you'll HAVE the CPU, call the play over again one more time to make CPU adjust, learn to use your team's strengths as CPU is trying it's hardest, learn to use man defense in crucial situations as CPU will be used to zone especially in long situations with a blitz maybe, this will result in a pass and tackle most hopefully before the first and then the CPU will most likely punt

7.Don't go Crazy-understand the CPU has a program/script and read into it, don't lose it because CPU seemingly "cheated", yes the CPU cheated most likely lol but you must understand the CPU has a script and catch on, get the plays for the script and you won't go "Crazy" anymore

hope this all helps

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »