Home

Bowl Games Logic

This is a discussion on Bowl Games Logic within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Bowl Games Logic

I know in some past versions(06-08) i'd see some odd matchups. Things like a MAC team(Toledo) in an Outback Bowl. An ACC slot would open up(Champs Sports Bowl) and you'd see a Sun Belt or Conf USA team take that spot. Seeing a Mac team get an sec jan 1st bowl was the strangest I ever saw. Anything like that on 11?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Smash
If you won the MAC, but didn't go to a BCS game, you probably went to the Little Ceasars Bowl, which also reserves a spot for a Big Ten school. As long as the Big Ten has a team eligible for that slot (finish 7th in Big Ten and be bowl eligible), then that's who you'll play.
You got it right, that's the bowl I am in.

I guess I need to get out of the MAC as soon as I can, or just make a BCS bowl from now on.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

Bowl game logic for nd is broken. If nd is not going to a bcs bowl, the bowl matchup stinks. For ex., #13 nd vs unranked Ohio u. This didn't happen in prior versions to my memory.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul allen
Bowl game logic for nd is broken. If nd is not going to a bcs bowl, the bowl matchup stinks. For ex., #13 nd vs unranked Ohio u. This didn't happen in prior versions to my memory.
Yeah; I've played about 4 seasons as Notre Dame. I've gone to the GMAC bowl everytime.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 25

NCAA logic for BOWL bids is silly IRL....I think the game reflects that part very well. There will be times when you wonder how (insert school) even had a shot at getting into the (insert Bowl) in the 1st place....Just like real life.

PLAYOFFS would fix EVERYTHING IRL and in the game.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeskCoder
You got it right, that's the bowl I am in.

I guess I need to get out of the MAC as soon as I can, or just make a BCS bowl from now on.
TELL me about it. My RTG player is a QB for Eastern Michigan, and that's the bowl we've gone to every season. I've got one more year to make a BCS game.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 15

If you guys think the bowl game logic is broke, then you don't pay much attention to real life.

Every season of dynasty I've played so far has looked all right in terms of what teams played in what bowls.

First "bowl game" to get its teams is the BCS National Championship game, which simply takes the #1 and #2 ranked teams per the BCS rankings.

Now, outside of this, for the other 4 BCS bowl games...
Rose Bowl, generally, gets the Pac-10 and Big Ten champs.
Fiesta Bowl, generally, gets the Big 12 champ and an at-large.
Orange Bowl, generally, gets the ACC champ and an at-large.
Sugar Bowl, generally, gets the SEC champ and an at-large.

Now, I say "generally" because if the conference champion in any of those examples is ranked #1 or #2 (and they almost always will be), then that slot is changed to an at-large.

If, for example Alabama finished ranked #1 and won the SEC and Ohio State finished ranked #2 and won the Big Ten.
Oregon won the Pac-10, Nebraska won the Big 12, and Clemson won the ACC.
First, the BCS game gets Bama/Fake-eyes.
Next, Rose Bowl gets Oregon, Fiesta Bowl gets Nebraska, and Orange Bowl gets Clemson.

Now, because Alabama won the SEC and finished ranked #1, the Sugar Bowl gets the FIRST at-large pick. Ohio State being ranked #2, the Rose Bowl gets the SECOND at-large pick. While history has shown that these bowls GENERALLY pick a team from the conference with the tie-in, they are by no means obligated. They pick the team that they think will give them the best draw. The last 4 Sugar Bowls picked the SEC runner-up, as the SEC champion was in the BCS NCG, and it's mostly because..well... look, the Sugar Bowl is in New Orleans, SEC fans will go see their team.

Rose Bowl picked Illinois not to long ago, when the Big Ten champ Ohio State was in the NCG. But again, these are not obligatory picks.

Once all of the tie-ins are either fulfilled or made up for with at-larges, then the other 3 at-large spots are filled. One of the 3 remaining at-large spots has to be filled with the Big East champion (unless they were picked to fill in for a team in the NCG).

Notre Dame makes themselves BCS eligible by finishing in the top 14, however they are only ELIGIBLE. If they finish in the top 8 however, they have an automatic BCS berth.

A team outside of ND and the BCS conferences receives an automatic BCS berth if they finish in the top 12 (I think, it may be 14 or 10 or something) AND are ranked ahead of one of the champions of one of the BCS conferences.

Outside of the BCS, no bowls have AT-LARGES except in the case that a conference fails to qualify as many teams as it has tie-ins. In the GMAC, for example, they get the 9th ACC pick and one of the top 3 MAC teams. Well, the ACC ends up with less than 9 bowl-eligible teams most of the time, so this is a really popular AT-LARGE bid.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 4

i'm pretty sure the Bowl Tie-ins are atrociously broken just like last year (i had a 4-8 team go to a bowl, LOL) - they probably didn't bother fixing their bugs

i'm pretty sure that unless Notre Dame goes to a BCS bowl it is always relegated to the GMAC Bowl ( i went with a 10-2 record and #11 ranking)

here's the bowl bug from last yaer

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c541...1254465556.png

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »