Home

Stopping the Maryland I

This is a discussion on Stopping the Maryland I within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Stopping the Maryland I

If I know the person lines up in the Maryland I, Wishbone or the Power I...I go 4-4 Cover 1..Blitz all the linebackers..spread out D-Line and Linebackers...and bump and run...it shuts it down pretty effectively...

NEVER...NEVER RUN COMMIT TO A CERTAIN SIDE...ITS A GUESSING GAME....AND IF YOU LOSE..ITS 6.
MLB- Washington Nationals
Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

I believe the PSU goal line formation is this as well. I ran a toss play out of it last night against bama, and it was an absolute cluster**** of people in the backfield, lol.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 14

4-4 or 5-2. Attack the run. Be discipline in the gaps. Don't blitz.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
Rookie

Upallnight's Arena

OVR: 3

I think people have gotten out of hand with the "cheeser" stuff. There are teams in real life who run the same plays over and over and over. Is navy a cheesy team? How about Colts with their no huddle, how about the redskins when they used to run nothing but counter treys? Cheesing is rocket catches, and abusing the flats when the game just would not let you get them covered, or running back 30yrds and then throwing, those are the cheesing plays..****nning a straight formation that CAN be stopped isn't cheesing just because you can't stop it.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upallnight
I think people have gotten out of hand with the "cheeser" stuff. There are teams in real life who run the same plays over and over and over. Is navy a cheesy team? How about Colts with their no huddle, how about the redskins when they used to run nothing but counter treys? Cheesing is rocket catches, and abusing the flats when the game just would not let you get them covered, or running back 30yrds and then throwing, those are the cheesing plays..****nning a straight formation that CAN be stopped isn't cheesing just because you can't stop it.
I agree. Finding a weakness in the game and exploiting it is cheese ... finding a weakness in your opponent and exploiting it is called coaching.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 6

true but even the triple option teams have many variations and formations to their triple option, watch how the CPU uses the triple option teams

I promise it's NOT the exact same play over and over, Redskins counter treyed with different variations and not always the counter trey, Colts no huddle with different plays and not EVERY play literally, come on when I do stop it alot of times players keep calling it until it WORKS one time for a big play lol

the truth is only children or immature players call the same 5 plays all game, the are hundreds and only 5 interest you, BORING, show me one coach who calls plays like that

there are too many different variations of the same thing for me to call the same play all day because when I come out in something different they won't know if it's the same play disguised or a different play

but Maryland I power option ALL DAY, no fun and not realistic, who in REAL LIFE DOES THAT, no one because you'll play that play out eventually in REAL LIFE

as far as stopping it the key to stopping any run play is understanding how to get players into position to make a play beyond the blockers, with outside runs the key is containment, with options the key is man assignments, and any run play avoid blockers or put engage blockers to get in their way

so run commit is your friend but don't use often and learn to make all gains minimal and be safe unless you know you can make the big hit and stripping the QB's pitch arm is critical to disrupting the option so strip to aggressive is NOT a bad idea, also remember to know HOW the run the option, if they cut it up with QB alot fill the gap they like to cut up with bodies, if the bounce it contain or user a LB, FS, SS, or CB to contain

again the key to the option is to jack up the main initial threat, so if it's a running QB kill him please and strip him on the outside pitch arm, and remember extra bodies are needed due to 2 running options and KEEP contain, learn to QB contain your whole DL and spread and make them run it inside where the bodies are
Old 08-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upallnight
I'm sorry but running one play out of one formation for an entire game is the dictionary definition of cheesing.

We aren't talking a bread and butter play like a counter or a toss or something that teams fall back on more than others, we're talking EVERY PLAY. I played a game online a few days ago in which the guy played Ace Big Speed Option on 38 of 39 offensive snaps and I couldn't stop it at all and I am a GREAT defensive player. Whenever I stopped the QB, he would get a behind the pitch to the back for 6 because 3 defenders crashed on the QB instead of taking the HB.

The one thing I've found to be successful at disrupting the outside runs and options is hot routing my DL to rush out. Which puts both DE's into contain, they should get upfield to disrupt the play a bit, at least to slow it down until help can come. Of course, if they also run an Iso, you're screwed doing that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 14

Ideally to beat a Power I option attack you simply have assignments and stay disciplined. Since there is no way to assign responsibility on defense in EA football games you are left to try something different.

The other way overpowered teams can try to slow down an option attack is to gamble by slanting to the side the QB opens up.

Again EA football doesn't have this.

The cool thing is EA didn't have option blocking in the game last year. THis year they do. So hopefully they work on the defensive side of the ball next year and understand how defense works to combat teams that run dynamic offenses like the option.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »