Home

Something I want to point out NCAA v. Madden

This is a discussion on Something I want to point out NCAA v. Madden within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Rookie

Mack Attack 11's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Something I want to point out NCAA v. Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I think once word gets out that Madden 11 is much better than the demo.
I think that is pretty much true for all games. There is only one demo that has ever made me want to buy a game. That was the Blur demo. Usually demos do not do the full release justice. By the way I did not download the Madden demo. Had no desire to. NCAA 11 will remain in my tray.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD
Heck, NCAA almost brought down the boards on release day. It's quite amazing. I remember thinking usually madden triples the number of viewers on any given day. Not this year. I don't want to say it, but it seems people aren't buying madden.
I'm pretty sure it did bring them down for a while.

I've played both, NCAA is just better. Madden really doesn't seem any different than last year other than OTP. And it's OTP mode doesn't even compare to NHL's.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Old 08-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Rookie

demon19000's Arena

OVR: 3

I hear ya ODogg. I don't think that Madden 11 is a bad game, it's just that since I spend most of my time in the franchise/dynasty modes, I knew I'd enjoy NCAA more (since there's a bit more to do), as I couldn't get through more than a year in Madden 10 without losing interest.

No slight on the gameplay for Madden, I just wouldn't buy a game I wouldn't play very much. I just think it's a possibility that some mainly offline franchise players have the same opinion.

And no slight at EA either, I appreciate them informing that they didn't do much with the modes. It saves any dissappointment/confusion, and assures that I will buy it when they are improved. So I do give them +1 in my book for releasing that statement a while back.
!
--------------------------------------
PSN: demon19000
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 9

I feel the same way as you Demon19000... I'm glad that EA told us straight up that Franchise mode wasn't getting any love this year. When I read that O.F. was going to be ignored and focused on for 2012, I decided that I would pass on Madden '11. Might have been a bad business decision... probably would have worked better for them to over-promise by saying that they "overhauled" some insignificant aspect of Franchise (like they have done in the past), and then I would have probably taken the bait without realizing that not much really changed from any previous year.

Dynasty mode is just far more compelling for me. I won't buy a Madden until Franchise mode becomes better than it was 5+ years ago... And I won't buy Madden until Online Franchise becomes a well developed mode, rather than an afterthought.

NCAA this year seems like the game to beat.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #13
Banned

dreezymac's Arena

OVR: 11

Completely ignoring the fact that I've always thought people here identify more with NCAA than NFL, I think pre release reviews and user experience with the previous year's game have played a huge factor.

Naturally you'll have your fair share of naysayers for each game but the reviews/opinions on NCAA 11 before and after the demo and leading up to release have been more than favorable. Couple that with a good NCAA 10 and people have hit the boards in droves.

On the other side, the direction that EA was taking Madden this year has irked more people than normal. A lot of people were not feeling '10 as a strong Madden and the '11 demo in most cases didnt help the cause.

That said, the low amount of visitors to the Madden board is still surprising. Even if a good number of people were disappointed with '10 and/or the direction of '11, the number of visitors is usually still higher than it is now when you sum up the Madden '11 lovers + haters + people on the fence.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
Stay thirsty my friends

goalieump413's Arena

OVR: 12

I think it's because this board has more intelligent, mature, hardcore sports gamers who appreciate effort and a well built game. Sure, Madden will outsell NCAA, but the people here don't seem buffalo'd by EA's Madden juggernaut the same as other sites.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

I noticed this as well today. I think Madden is just stale, and not a lot of people are big on it this year.

NCAA, on the other hand, came out in full force this year, and while I don't think it's necessarily great in terms of gameplay, it just feels like it has more character than Madden. I guess that's partly a product of being a college game, but I think it also comes from the nice graphics engine, the big upgrade from NCAA 10, the huge updates to online dynasty, and the good marketing they put out for it. Madden just didn't really "nail" anything this year, so I think a lot of people, especially the hardcore users, are just kinda "meh" on it.

Of course, I don't think Madden has really "nailed" anything on the current consoles, but that's my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #16
Pro

NDIrish98's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I think Madden 11 is getting a bad rap on this board, since I got it I've hardly played NCAA 11. Yes NCAA 11 is the game I'll end up playing more as well, and I think it's a slightly better game, but it's not that much better. People just enjoy kicking the "King" when he is supposedly down I think.

I think once word gets out that Madden 11 is much better than the demo and people get a chance to play it at the mall, Best Buy, etc, the games sales will be pretty good this year.
sales will be always be pretty good because it's the NFL, and being the ONLY video game bearing an NFL license, it will sell, but you and I both know that just because a game sells a lot of copies, doesn't at all mean it's that good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »