Home

Shotgun HB Dive

This is a discussion on Shotgun HB Dive within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 5
Shotgun HB Dive

I've noticed that the best way to run the spread and keep the defense honest with the run is with the HB DIVE from shotgun. It's great b/c it hits inside and also hits much quicker than the sweep, off tackle, and base plays.

The only problem is i've only found it in a few formations.

Shotgun 4WR Trio Str
Shotgun Spread Flex
Shotgun Normal Flex Wing
Shotgun Wing Offset

My Question to the community here on OP is if anyone has found any HB Dive's in other SHOTGUN formations? I thought some people out there may have seen one or two somewhere that i havent and i really dont feel like going through every single shotgun formation looking for them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Shotgun HB Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrierwv75
Shotgun 4WR Trio Str
Shotgun Spread Flex
Shotgun Normal Flex Wing
Shotgun Wing Offset
The #1 reason why I use MSU's playbook instead of Florida's is because MSU's pb has 5 SG HB dives while Florida has 0. Louisville is another good one with 3 dives. I don't think that I'd consider a spread playbook without the SG HB dive play (obviously, not every team that has these formations also have the HB dive, IE Florida).

MSU (Miss. St.) has it in those 4 formations you mentioned plus the slot F wing (which is the best SG running formation IMO as you get the FB in the wing position AND a TE on the line to block for you.

Another thing I considered when finding a pb was how many of the SG HB dives were the quick audible for that formation (MSU has 3). This is great because you can call a speed option or WR motion option and then quickly audible to the dive play if the D is weak in the box.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
The #1 reason why I use MSU's playbook instead of Florida's is because MSU's pb has 5 SG HB dives while Florida has 0. Louisville is another good one with 3 dives. I don't think that I'd consider a spread playbook without the SG HB dive play (obviously, not every team that has these formations also have the HB dive, IE Florida).

MSU (Miss. St.) has it in those 4 formations you mentioned plus the slot F wing (which is the best SG running formation IMO as you get the FB in the wing position AND a TE on the line to block for you.

Another thing I considered when finding a pb was how many of the SG HB dives were the quick audible for that formation (MSU has 3). This is great because you can call a speed option or WR motion option and then quickly audible to the dive play if the D is weak in the box.
This is why I wish that we could make our own playbooks from the plays already in the game (of course, if I'm wishing things, I wish we could make our own plays like you can on the least powerful systems available... PSP and iPhone). But at least give us something like 2k where you could mix and match whatever formations and plays you wanted with a set limit on each.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717

Same here, I specifically seek out books that have the HB Dive, even when I'm not running a true spread.

UL Monroe has 3 Dive's today I believe, one Wing formation, one Spread Flex and one in 4 WR Trio Str. ULM is one of my favorite spread books, but I usually end up using Mississippi State just because I love Wildcat Spread. Plus MSU's quick run audibles are awesome, HB Dive in all 3 of those formations, some of them have the read option which is nice to check to if the defense is playing back.

MSU is still the best spread rushing book in the game, by far.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Banned

dreezymac's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrierwv75
I've noticed that the best way to run the spread and keep the defense honest with the run is with the HB DIVE from shotgun. It's great b/c it hits inside and also hits much quicker than the sweep, off tackle, and base plays.

The only problem is i've only found it in a few formations.

Shotgun 4WR Trio Str
Shotgun Spread Flex
Shotgun Normal Flex Wing
Shotgun Wing Offset

My Question to the community here on OP is if anyone has found any HB Dive's in other SHOTGUN formations? I thought some people out there may have seen one or two somewhere that i havent and i really dont feel like going through every single shotgun formation looking for them.
Well this seems to go without saying. If I already have a defense spread out to defend the pass, any run can be effective, especially one right up the gut with likely only a LB to keep me from the 2nd level or further. Serves as basic misdirection, especially if you do it without shotgun.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Banned

dreezymac's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Card-me
This is why I wish that we could make our own playbooks from the plays already in the game (of course, if I'm wishing things, I wish we could make our own plays like you can on the least powerful systems available... PSP and iPhone). But at least give us something like 2k where you could mix and match whatever formations and plays you wanted with a set limit on each.
Would definitely like the ability to create my own playbook. Wasnt that an option in a previous Madden or NCAA? Anyway, I hate seeing a great play in a playbook that has hardly anything else I favor. My closest attempt was using a generic playbook which was good but it got to the point where it seemed plays/routes were too generic.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezymac
Would definitely like the ability to create my own playbook. Wasnt that an option in a previous Madden or NCAA? Anyway, I hate seeing a great play in a playbook that has hardly anything else I favor. My closest attempt was using a generic playbook which was good but it got to the point where it seemed plays/routes were too generic.
I'm not 100%, but I think you could do your own playbooks in NCAA 06 and maybe Madden 2005. I think it was about the time 06 came out that they took it away.

But up through Madden 2004 you could even make your own plays, and as I said earlier, you could make your own plays in NCAA10 on PSP and even upload them to NCAA 10 on PS3. Why they continue to ignore it completely when they had that kind of functionality last year is beyond me, but I'm way past trying to figure out EA Sports' plans anymore.

I guess what makes it even worse is playing Madden 08 on PSP and being able to run multiple-handoff reverses and HB passes and still not even seeing those on the 360 version of NCAA 11. So not only can I not make my own plays like I can on my PSP, but I don't even have access to the same kinds of plays that I have on my PSP, a system with a processor slower than my phone, less memory than my calculator, and game discs smaller than NCAA 11's demo.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #8
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Well heck, if all those shotgun dives are in MSU's playbook, I might have to try that out. Although I'm used to an Air Raid playbook so I hope it has plenty of 4WR formations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »