Home

Calling all dynasty mode junkies!!!! (idea's for NCAA 12)

This is a discussion on Calling all dynasty mode junkies!!!! (idea's for NCAA 12) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #89
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Calling all dynasty mode junkies!!!! (idea's for NCAA 12)

Hey everyone,

I was still loving '07 and College Hoops 2k8 until this released. It was kind of disturbing to see the jump to "next-gen" had forced us to lose things like what once were 1-AA schools, custom playbooks, and some presentation elements. However, most of what I care about is recruiting and building up schools so here is my 2 cents.

1. Recruiting system revamp! I didn't know if it was just me, but after reading on this forum I guess its not. Everyone who played CH2k8 seems to remember it fondly. I think EA could bring back old ideas and mesh them with some from 2k8 to make an even better dynasty mode.
A) Don't show us all the recruiting grades, make us scout them.
B) Booms and busts should happen. Rivals isn't perfect and this game shouldn't be either.
C) Let us see their high school and juco stats to give us an idea of how good they might be, but they don't have to be perfectly representative. Make things like 40, squat, bench, weight, and height matter. Right now they are either ignored or simply direct indicators of one stat. I thought '07 had a cool idea with telling us the stats from our recruits last game. Also, 40 time should take acceleration into account.
D) Remove the random pitch, I liked when I could chose what to pitch myself. Yeah, I know a recruit wants to have some say in the conversation, but if we're not taking a middle ground approach then give me the control again.
E) Bring back the ability to scout their potential. Its part of their player profile, so it should not just be some mystic number that we have no way of guessing at.
F) Academic discipline seemed to work in '07 just fine. It seemed random enough and if you didn't ignore their discipline, your team never suffered really. If you threw caution to the wind, you would eventually get scholarships taken away. I understand this game represents college football somewhat and they wont allow us to have players getting arrested and such. It doesn't need to include things like taking cash to come play, but things that are realistic and don't demean the game. (late for practice, grades slipping in class, slacking off in workouts, missing film study, etc.)
G) I like the earlier idea of some sort of playbook fit. Transitioning from one to another seems like it should slow down development for at least a season until they become acclimated or chose to transfer to a school who fits them better.

2. Coaching carousel with positional coaches and head coaches would be great, but I'm not sure how much it would really add to the game. I know Madden had something like this and had ratings for your ST, O, and D coordinators. In reality, the head coach doesn't do all of the scouting and recruiting. Assistants and positional coaches should be the ones doing the initial evaluations and they should have areas of expertise and pipelines associated with them. e.g. Assistant coach J. Stanley is an offensive guru from Cleveland, OH. He should have a leg up on the recruits in at least some parts of Ohio and be only somewhat effective at figuring out a safeties actual ratings.

3. In-season progression based upon performance in games. Just make a tier system where surpassing a mark improves a stat by a certain amount. A "full-practice" mode would also be nice. Lets say you can still do a regular practice where you can choose any play to run and it only can help you to be more familiar with your playbook. However, "full-practice" would be a once a week opportunity to boost your players stats for the next game. You have X number of drills to run and can choose the players you want to focus on. Cap this off with a scrimmage with X plays the user controls the offense and defense where anyone who makes a good play will get recognized and can earn a stat boost for the next game. I'm thinking along the lines of a well timed spin boosting your rating or a DB swatting a pass away increasing his coverage or awareness skill.

4. I think the spectator thing would help out a lot for game planning. I can't really scout a user team in my OD currently. Sure I can look at player stats and some game stat lines, but they don't give me a very good idea of what to expect. Also, maybe a scouting report on a teams coaching decisions. For example, for the CPU it would pretty much be calculated from their coaching sliders and any games vs. the users. For the user, it would be just tabulated directly. Run % on 1st down, pass % on 3rd and less than 3 yds, fake punts, etc.

5. Fix CPU/auto recruiting to make the dynasties better for the long term. Not only does this take care of Michigan having seven 5* QBs in 2019 who don't fit their system, but it would help people who don't like recruiting as much as others. Not saying a guy who puts no effort in should get a top 25 recruiting class with Kent State, but at least representative of the teams prestige and not leave him cutting walk-ons later. And that brings up...

6. Walk-ons! They played in HS, but didn't get noticed. They worked their butts off and got into your school only to find out, they're a 40 overall??? Lets give them some credit, maybe 50s for most positions with a chance of having excellent potential so they may start someday (happens in real life, but not often). Kickers I played some soccer and can kick a 40 yd field goal when its not 14º outside with relative ease. Maybe kickers who are on the recruit list should have a 68 minimum for power and accuracy and be differentiated from a walk-on by awareness. Walk-on kickers should come in a bit more sporadic or at least with less knowledge of the game, but should progress easily because kicking just isn't that hard to get decent at.

7. Composure. This is what made the away games hard before. It shouldn't be so easy for a freshman QB to go into Neyland and call audibles. I thought it was annoying when it was in the game because my WRs would mess up their routes, but now that I want realism to be approached I wish it was back. Walk-ons should probably have very little with low rated recruits the same. Highly touted recruits and jucos should have a chance to come in with mediocre composure. More snaps and starts=more composure

Simply a dream list: medical redshirts, more roster spots, watch the walk-ons perform some sort of position drills and get to pick the guy you like most, athletes who are actually versatile and who can play on both sides of the ball without the huge hit to awareness, fans who didn't come from the poster shop, custom playbooks, FCS schools, more onside kicks and kick return plays, and I think I'm done.

Sorry for the ramble. I know its too late for EA to do anything for '12, but maybe if people keep putting out suggestions and elaborating on each others ideas the dev. team will take notice.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #90
Rookie

Colorado Cooler's Arena

OVR: 2

The AI is not well-enough developed to incorporate the strategic playcalling elements inherent in college football in games against the CPU. For example, I can't take the CPU by surprise or set up a play unless I do it on EA's terms with a linked set-up play. And thus, if I run a dozen handoffs in a row, I can expect to be buried by an onslaught of CPU defenders if I call playaction on the 13th play because the CPU defense isn't "smart" enough to recognize the shift in strategy. I'm disappointed that after over a decade of deveopment, EA hasn't built an AI that captures the nuances of strategic playcalling that occurs between DCs and OCs on game day.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #91
MVP

Son of Sam99's Arena

OVR: 14

Hopefully saying it enough will get it in the game:

COACHING CAROUSEL
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #92
Rookie

gharp14's Arena

OVR: 12

1.coaching carasuol
2. have a budget
3. more realistic scheduling
4. more faces for recruits
5. dynasty yearbook
6. more realistic recruiting
7. high school all american game
8. better bowl and championship presentation
9. college gameday
10. spring game
11.dynamic crowd and attendance
12. hiesman presentation and show with recruits putting on hats
13. show players recruiting info with rank, stars, and top 3 schools and draft stock
14.have a conference tab like in coolege hoops 2k8 where it shows standings, leaders, best qb, best nfl prospect, etc.
15./ teams recruit to style of play
16. have multiple generic entrances where you can choose. Maybe you can make a custom sign that your players can tap or hit
17. stadium creator or add ons
Old 01-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #93
Rookie

Legionnaire's Arena

OVR: 5

I'd like to see players' intelligence play a different kind of role. I don't mean searching for guys with a high "AWR" rating. I'm talking about just plain smarts, off the field.

It'd be cool if, when recruiting, you could tell how each kid did in the classroom in high school. And if you stockpile a smarter team, you get rewarded by being given extra playbook slots (because smarter players can digest denser playbooks). And if you stockpile kids who are dumb as rocks, you get penalized by having to trim your playbook down (sort of like the schools who have to reduce their playbook until it's basically just a brief pamphlet, because their QB is incredibly stupid).

It'd really add a new wrinkle to the Dynasty offseason when, each spring, you cross your fingers as the game tabulates how smart/stupid your current roster is. And you're then forced to choose a handful of plays to eliminate to get your playbook trimmed down so your dumb players can grasp it. Or, if your team got smarter, you'd get to put in new plays (or entirely new formations with whole new sets of plays?), manually adding in plays that aren't normally in your default playbook.

If there was a reward for collecting smart players, it'd really add a whole new layer to recruiting. At the least, it'd give you something else to worry about managing and maintaining. It might also become a kind of mini-game, where you find yourself setting goals to get a smarter and smarter team just to win the right to handpick new material to add to your playbook.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #94
Rookie

StankyCheeZ267's Arena

OVR: 3

-Add a new "work ethic" rating...a guy with a high work ethic would get higher overall boosts in the offseason while a guy with low work ethic would stay the same or gain one or two points

-When trying to convince guys to stay for another year you should be able to see where their draft stock is like in NCAA Basketball 10...In the Basketball game it will show you where your player is likely to be drafted and it impacted whether he would stay or not. If your guy is project to be a Top 5 pick he'll be less likely to stay for another year than if your guy is a projected 3rd round pick

-For redshirt players give them a target weight and strength that they should be at for the next season. I redshirted my freshman qb who was 6'5" 191 lbs only to be disappointed by the start of next season he was 192 lbs.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #95
MVP

Son of Sam99's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharp14
1.coaching carasuol
2. have a budget
3. more realistic scheduling
4. more faces for recruits
5. dynasty yearbook
6. more realistic recruiting
7. high school all american game
8. better bowl and championship presentation
9. college gameday
10. spring game
11.dynamic crowd and attendance
12. hiesman presentation and show with recruits putting on hats
13. show players recruiting info with rank, stars, and top 3 schools and draft stock
14.have a conference tab like in coolege hoops 2k8 where it shows standings, leaders, best qb, best nfl prospect, etc.
15./ teams recruit to style of play
16. have multiple generic entrances where you can choose. Maybe you can make a custom sign that your players can tap or hit
17. stadium creator or add ons
It's really suprising when I think about it that College Gameday which is such a big part of CFB isnt even mentioned, especially when ESPN is so heavily involved in the game already. Even if it just tells you where the Gameday crew is each week its really cool to be able to think that they're on your campus.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #96
Rookie

OVR: 0

Neutral Site Games, Medical Redshirts, and Coaching Carousel.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »