Home

outside Wrs.

This is a discussion on outside Wrs. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #9
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: outside Wrs.

Why throw to your outside receives, who are never open, when your slots are more likely to be open.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23

Outside WRs are easier to throw to against a cover 2 defense. There is that pocket between the corner and safety on the sideline, and if you have a guy in the flats you have about a 15 yard window out there. Also slants are great plays, and on the goalline nothing is better than a fade to your tallest WR outside to the corner of the endzone. I find my slot WRs lead my team in receptions while my outside guys end up with the TDs and YPC. It's like I have a bunch of Wes Welkers in the slot who never get touchdowns but do a majority of the work up to the 20.

Also work with patterns that have your slot and wideout playing off each other. Use post patters for them, against a zone these are open a lot, just have to read which direction the safety is going to decide where to throw it. If you can teach yourself to read defenses quickly you can tell when the outside guys will be open.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Old 08-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

A lot depends on how much time you have. Usually the outside WRs dont run quick patters and they also get jammed a lot more. I like to have physical guys on the outside who can get off the jam and dont get pushed into their routes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
Banned

Indian Joe's Arena

OVR: 9

In my most recent season, my outside receivers finished with
90rec 1,564yds 20tds
57rec 1,019yds 7tds

while my slot finished with
58rec 1,131yds 11tds
Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 4

I like to have a big guy 6'3+ on the outside and small speed guys on the inside. As long as the outside WR is big enough, and your QB has a strong enough arm, you should have moderate success throwing to outside.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 6

well the key to getting the ball to ANY potential ball carrier is understanding what type of defense you're facing
since we're talking about the passing game to the outside receivers the key is understanding the coverage and the cover men

I'm imagining you're struggling vs man coverage
first off man coverage first and foremost is about the man your WR will be facing so check ratings of the CB you're facing if you're really struggling as that can explain alot

also recognize the effect of the patch as people have said it's made coverage easier but not much in my opinion and also recognize the sliders you're playing on as far as pass coverage if you're not playing on default

next the big key to facing man coverage if all routes aren't working vs it based on the patch/sliders is understanding progressions/depth/robbers or those covering weak spots in man to man

if you want to get it to your outside WRs vs man the routes that work are drags, slants sometimes depending but especially if man backed off which you already know

next you can use motion, pump fake (no pump fake backwards unless you're heartless lol), picks and rubs, crossers, and basically any deep route thrown correctly with good timing, etc.,good deep routes are posts, fade bulleted high or even lobbed, slant out underthrown lobbed or thrown deep bulleted low with timing

again the routes other than drags and slants that work vs man coverage are crossers, posts, fade, and slant out along with streaks with a faster player than the one covering him
and mostly all deep routes work if defender isn't good enough and outside WR can outjump for jump ball or throw deep ball back shoulder (so many different angles with deep ball possible due to space and time it takes ball to get there giving WR time to adjust to pass)

as for zone it's about timing and fitting them in the wholes in the zone and mostly any route that gets into the holes of the zone will work especially curl flat combo when the flats are covered but curl left open

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »