Home

Madden reminds us how good we have it in the Lighting department

This is a discussion on Madden reminds us how good we have it in the Lighting department within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #17
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Madden reminds us how good we have it in the Lighting department

The progressive lighting in NCAA is horrible and I'm surprised that no one has pointed it out. To see it suddenly get darker when the quarter ends is pretty funny.

In-quarter it is beautiful though.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #18
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjdotcom01
Really?! IRL, shadows remain in the same spot as time moves on? Interesting.
After every play dude? You think the earth rotates noticeably after ever play? If that was the case then day light wouldn't last any longer that 20 plays
Old 08-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

Madden does look silly and cartoonish at times, which NCAA doesn't suffer from. NCAA just needs 2 things:

1. Some wipe or presentation effect so we don't see the sudden lighting change between quarters. If I don't see it suddenly happen I won't laugh every time the clock hits 0:00.

2. Check the lighting reflection on metallic colors (Colorado and LSU-golden helmets come to mind). Colorado's helmet looks brown when playing indoors, and LSU's gold helmet only looks gold at night. These are small things that I'm sure can be fixed up.

Aside from that I love NCAA, Madden's lighting is flat out silly looking imo.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #20
Pro

GoToledo's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
After every play dude? You think the earth rotates noticeably after ever play? If that was the case then day light wouldn't last any longer that 20 plays

Yes, I think the shadows should change after every play, but it should be very subtle. Play NCAA 07 or 08 to see what I am talking about.

Sideshow Bob
Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 20

Meh. Not really feeling the lighting in NCAA, actually. I mean it's good, it's cool, whatever, but there's a long way for it to get onto the same level as The Show, and even longer before it gets to the level we see in games like Red Dead Redemption, Crysis, and even Top Spin 3.

Night games don't look good; overcast games don't look good; most fourth quarters don't look good; and it's not a big deal but it bugs me how these mid-late season games (Oct, Nov, Dec) that start at 3:30 don't end up in the dark. At least here in Michigan it gets dark between 530-630 after the switch back to standard time, hence it should be dark in the fourth quarter of these games.

I mean, blah, like I said, I hardly care, but don't tell me the lighting is awesome just cause it's better than NCAA 10 or Madden. It's average at best compared to the rest of the industry.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #22
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Wait until you play in BCS Bowl like the Sugar Bowl. The lighting inside there is horrible.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:14 AM   #23
MVP

edmus's Arena

OVR: 6

Just bought the game a few days ago, and while I think it looks better than Madden (at least the Madden demo), I find the lighting changes jarring.

Played 2 games in an Arizona State dynasty that I assume were late afternoon starts, and was taken aback when the lighting suddenly changed at the start of the 4th quarter. It might just be my TV, but I definitely don't like the 4th quarter lighting when there's still daylight but the stadium lights are on. All the colors just look washed out compared to the first 3 quarters. Honestly it reminds me of the sepia toned games that you got in Madden 10 after downloading the AFL pack.

That said, I'm really enjoying the game so far.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:03 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Meh. Not really feeling the lighting in NCAA, actually. I mean it's good, it's cool, whatever, but there's a long way for it to get onto the same level as The Show, and even longer before it gets to the level we see in games like Red Dead Redemption, Crysis, and even Top Spin 3.

Night games don't look good; overcast games don't look good; most fourth quarters don't look good; and it's not a big deal but it bugs me how these mid-late season games (Oct, Nov, Dec) that start at 3:30 don't end up in the dark. At least here in Michigan it gets dark between 530-630 after the switch back to standard time, hence it should be dark in the fourth quarter of these games.

I mean, blah, like I said, I hardly care, but don't tell me the lighting is awesome just cause it's better than NCAA 10 or Madden. It's average at best compared to the rest of the industry.
played The Show 2day. Playoff gm started at like 4:30, and to see it gradually get dark is amazing. It doesn't just get dark all at once like someone flipped a switch. And some of the lighting in NCAA seems like it belongs in a comic book or something. At times the stadium is a lot darker than it should be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »