Home

Your Opinons on School Pretige

This is a discussion on Your Opinons on School Pretige within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #25
MVP

OVR: 7
Re: Your Opinons on School Pretige

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparty77
The program stars are determined on a longer time line. MSU has beaten UM and had a better record than them each of the last two years, but UM is 6 stars and MSU is 3. It's not about just the last couple of years.
This is true for the most part, but the game definitely has a problem in this area. While I agree with the majority of the default prestige ratings, I don't agree at all with how rapidly they can change once you start your dynasty. In just the first year of my coaching stint at ND, I was able to do (according to EA) what Bob Davie, Ty Willingham and Charlie Weis couldn't do in 13 seasons: take ND down to 5-star. And this was with a 9-4 w/ a bowl win season.

I think the truly historic power programs (ie. Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama), should take several years to drop in prestige. And short of a conference or national championship, it should take a little longer for programs to move up in prestige. I'm sure they're just trying to give the users more instant impact to keep you more involved earlier, but it detracts from realism. Programs aren't made or destroyed on one season (short of getting the death penalty from the NCAA).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #26
Rookie

Frank the Tank's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycbs
I think the truly historic power programs (ie. Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama), should take several years to drop in prestige. And short of a conference or national championship, it should take a little longer for programs to move up in prestige. I'm sure they're just trying to give the users more instant impact to keep you more involved earlier, but it detracts from realism. Programs aren't made or destroyed on one season (short of getting the death penalty from the NCAA).
You speak the truth, sir. I've always disliked how easy it is for low prestige programs to advance quickly to national power status, and how quickly power programs lose prestige from a couple down years. And I'm pretty sure it is for exactly the reason you mention.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:05 PM   #27
Pro

Polo Bandit's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceroten
Arizona State as a 4* is too high. Must be some fans of the Frank Kush era on EA's team. Texas A&M is another where the prestige never equaled what the team has accomplished imo.
I don't know about nationwide, but Texas A&M is always one of the best recruiting teams in state.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyForeigner
10' vs Va Tech
10' vs Oregon State
09' W vs Oregon 18-9
08' W @ Oregon 37-32
07' L @ Washington 24-10
06' W vs Oregon State 42-14
05' L @ Georgia 48-13
05' L @ Oregon State 30-27

Thats just the past 5 seasons, so no one will schedule tehm from a power conference? Anyway I understand sucess is sucess in any conference. But if prestige is gonna be based on recent sucess they should stay constant with all colleges and not keep a ND so high.

This also means your verifying that they are equal in prestige with Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Miami, Nebraska, Oregon, Tennessee, and Virginia Tech. so still stand by your comment?
Most of those games are on the road. the VT game may be a "neutral site game", but let's be honest, it's a quasi home game for VT.

Your big boys, don't want to go to Boise. Boise went to Athens, and a few weeks later, UGA cancelled the trip to Boise with a check for $400,000. I said a few weeks ago, having a buddy in the Athletic Dept at Boise, I know for a fact that they've tried to schedule a home and home with every Pac 10 Team, and were told no by every pac 10 team save Oregon and Oregon State. 10 of the 12 Big 12 teams (then), were offered home and homes. All 10 said no. Texas was interested, but wanted 1 game in Austin, and 1 game in Dallas.

It's very hard for boise to schedule the Power 6 to a home and home. In the day and age of money, it's important to get 7 home games every year to cover the expenses of 5 road trips.

Sure Miami and Florida State did it, but the finances were far different back in the late 70's and early 80's than it is now.

I don't want to go as far as saying the Power 6 are scared of Boise. I do know the power 6 schools view playing Boise as a lose-lose situation. Lose to Boise and their title chances are gone. Beat boise and it's one of those things that the press says, they should beat boise...the reward is far less than the risk.

Also, why is there a knock on Penn State being a 5*...if anything they should be a 6* program...2005 11 wins, 2006 and 2007 9 wins each...2008 11, 2009, 11.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 4

I hate Arkansas with all my heart, more than Tech, and even baylor, but they should be 4*. I know they haven't won an SEC title, or played in a BCS game, horrible bowl record, and they really don't recruit well either, but they should be 4* because of their history, as long as ND is.

If Notre Dame gets to keep its 6* status based on past performance, than why isn't Army and Navy 5 or 6*. Its a sloppy system people.

Does anyone even know how they do the prestige ratings, I think its just a combo of how the team is in recruiting, and there history.

Last edited by gigem; 08-16-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #30
Rookie

Frank the Tank's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem
Does anyone even know how they do the prestige ratings, I think its just a combo of how the team is in recruiting, and there history.
I think recent history is the most important thing, but I really can't say. After all, in last year's game, Toledo and Marshall had the same prestige as Iowa and Clemson. It sure seems like something that should/could be revamped a bit.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think with some schools(Boise) recent history plays a part . With ND(tradition and name) the past plays a 99% part . I wish there was some consistency in EA's prestige rankings . Either rank them on recent results, or take college football history and use prestige that way . If you do that, take history, Minnesota becomes a 5 * and Army a 5 * based on what occured 30's-50's . Now that would have some people up in arms. "What? Army a 5*?!"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigem
I hate Arkansas with all my heart, more than Tech, and even baylor, but they should be 4*. I know they haven't won an SEC title, or played in a BCS game, horrible bowl record, and they really don't recruit well either, but they should be 4* because of their history, as long as ND is.

If Notre Dame gets to keep its 6* status based on past performance, than why isn't Army and Navy 5 or 6*. Its a sloppy system people.

I actually view Arkansas as a 3* but cause we whimp out on every game. The only way we get any good recruits it's because they're homers or want to start. If it's tradition almost all SEC, Big-12, and Big Ten would be 4 stars. Look at my logo I'm a homer but I say they got Arkansas perfect!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »