Home

How do people feel about the menus in this game?

This is a discussion on How do people feel about the menus in this game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
How do people feel about the menus in this game?

Maybe a weird question, and maybe a topic that's been discussed, but I just got a copy of the game and the menus just don't feel right to me.

I don't like that I can single click the L2/R2 buttons to advance one team/position forward, but have to hold them down to go back. I don't like how slow it cycles through teams if I do hold it down (it finally goes fast when you're halfway through the teams). I don't like how it seems to load for a split second after every button I click. I don't like that if I'm looking at players for all teams, it has to first cycle through all american, impact player, captain, etc. before it tells me what team a guy plays for. Overall, it just seems clunky and more difficult to navigate than it needs to be.

Probably a minor issue (if that) for a lot of people, but something that immediately struck me as a pain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: How do people feel about the menus in this game?

oh it's rather minor and I don't see it as an issue at all
more of the game can only move so fast my man lol
Old 08-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

The only thing that bugs me is when I boot up the game, I have to wait for the little menu animation.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 08-16-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by moTIGS
Maybe a weird question, and maybe a topic that's been discussed, but I just got a copy of the game and the menus just don't feel right to me.

I don't like that I can single click the L2/R2 buttons to advance one team/position forward, but have to hold them down to go back. I don't like how slow it cycles through teams if I do hold it down (it finally goes fast when you're halfway through the teams). I don't like how it seems to load for a split second after every button I click. I don't like that if I'm looking at players for all teams, it has to first cycle through all american, impact player, captain, etc. before it tells me what team a guy plays for. Overall, it just seems clunky and more difficult to navigate than it needs to be.

Probably a minor issue (if that) for a lot of people, but something that immediately struck me as a pain.
Everything you said is spot-on. ESPECIALLY the team logo popping up last. I'll scroll down a player list, and of course 100s of teams have the colors blue, red, green, gold, etc...but instead of me knowing his team I get to see he is an AA first.

Reallllllllllll annoying.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 20

I was really hoping that we were gonna see some real ESPN integration into this year's title. I know we got the replay swipes and the score-bar thing (both very cool, yes) but in hindsight that's pretty much all they added, no? I was thinking we'd see an entirely new menu package, new fonts, better player-profile screens, better team stat pages, a new interface really that took the whole ESPN aura into account. Instead it's really been the same package, text-wise, since '08 at least. Even think about something like the names under the players on the field: it's this last-gen, jaggy low-res font. You know, update something like that. And how all the stat pages are divided into, what - frames? - how you can only see a guy's first two or three stats before you have to scroll over? You know, where's my nice, clean player statistics page that resembles, I dunno, either an ESPN broadcast or a Scouts or Rivals webpage? You know.

I'm not much for bagging on devs, and I really try to keep my complaining to minimum, but it's these little, tiny things like this that tend to highlight the extent to which there's not a lot of love going into this game. It's like these guys all do their jobs and do them fairly competently, but it's just obvious this game isn't, you know, Fallout 3, or Red Dead Redemption. There's the development time argument hidden in there somewhere, I understand; just saying, as much as I love this game and the franchise, it tends to give a fairly distinct, corporate "do your job" kinda vibe opposed to a "we love making games" and "we love college football" vibe.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

I agree. This isnt a game killer but kinda annoying. I thought the whole menu presentaion awhile back (cant remember which year, but is was on PS2) was awesome. It was the one with the magazine covers, and the list menus so you knew exactly what and where you were going. I wish they would go back to something similar to this.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

the menus continue to be awful. Ever since theyve been on next gen the menus have been awful. I'm not a fan of holding the triggers to switch teams/positions/recruit states/recruit positions/etc. Just make it so that if you wanna change teams you press R1 or L2 and it goes to the next team, so we dont have to hold it down.

The reaction time for the menus is slow as well. When scrolling through menus especially in dynasty, it is slow. Same for button reaction time as well when switching from player name to player build to player equipment and other stuff like that.

And this might not necessarily be about the actual menu but i wish they would just do EA Trax for NCAA Football instead of the music they have for the menus now. Its the same song over and over and over again. I often have to turn menu music off because it gets so bad to listen to. I love playing a game like Fifa or NBA 2k or MLB the Show and hearing the songs they have in the game because it introduces me to songs that might not have ever heard or songs i might never listen to. In the show i like Silversun Pickup, Band of Skulls and some others, in Fifa i just love almost every song in that game. And i cant even speak the language that theyre singing but the songs are still great. But in NCAA we always were stuck with the same 8 fight songs or now we're stuck with that crappy music they have now. PLEASE CHANGE IT!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
I was really hoping that we were gonna see some real ESPN integration into this year's title. I know we got the replay swipes and the score-bar thing (both very cool, yes) but in hindsight that's pretty much all they added, no? I was thinking we'd see an entirely new menu package, new fonts, better player-profile screens, better team stat pages, a new interface really that took the whole ESPN aura into account. Instead it's really been the same package, text-wise, since '08 at least. Even think about something like the names under the players on the field: it's this last-gen, jaggy low-res font. You know, update something like that. And how all the stat pages are divided into, what - frames? - how you can only see a guy's first two or three stats before you have to scroll over? You know, where's my nice, clean player statistics page that resembles, I dunno, either an ESPN broadcast or a Scouts or Rivals webpage? You know.

I'm not much for bagging on devs, and I really try to keep my complaining to minimum, but it's these little, tiny things like this that tend to highlight the extent to which there's not a lot of love going into this game. It's like these guys all do their jobs and do them fairly competently, but it's just obvious this game isn't, you know, Fallout 3, or Red Dead Redemption. There's the development time argument hidden in there somewhere, I understand; just saying, as much as I love this game and the franchise, it tends to give a fairly distinct, corporate "do your job" kinda vibe opposed to a "we love making games" and "we love college football" vibe.
I agree with this. I would of liked to see ESPN added to the player cards, menu overlays, etc.

I do not like the current menus they just feel delayed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »