Home

The Official "I Just Played An Awesome Game" Thread

This is a discussion on The Official "I Just Played An Awesome Game" Thread within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
All Star

WWF80sKid's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: The Official "I Just Played An Awesome Game" Thread

I just played two, back-to-back great games.

First, Arizona State vs Arizona. I was Arizona State.
Went into the 4th quarter with the score 14-7, and Arizona scored again, making the score 21-7.

I ended up scoring a touchdown, and then made them fumble on the following kickoff. I recovered, and scored in two plays.

Played good defense, and ended up holding them. They punted. I ran the time out, and kicked a field goal with no time left! Final score, 24-21!

The second game I played, was Missouri vs Iowa State. I was Missouri.
I thought I'd handle them pretty well. They started out scoring, and the first quarter ended 7-0.

Both teams played well, defenses did really good.

In the 4th quarter, the score was 17-17. I had to punt with not much time left, and had a feeling I wouldn't be able to stop them, and they'd win. But one of my linebackers intercepted the quarterback on their side of the field.

I ran the time out, after getting into field goal range, and nailed a field goal to win the game. Final score: 20-17.

I can't believe I had two consecutive games that were really good, and I won both with field goals with no time left.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 11

Big 12 championship game, I had an undefeated season going and was ranked #3. Nebraska was #11 I think.

I went down 31-0 by the 2nd quarter (bizarre game where my team fumbled a couple times, threw a pick six, and their team was catching all kinds of bombs somehow).

I scored the next 41 points in a row to win 41-31, and the big 12 title.

The frustrating part was that despite my undefeated season I was ranked #3 in the BCS and ended up blowing out TCU in the fiesta bowl.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #11
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Well this game was from a while ago in year 1 of my Washington State dynasty. I was taking on a tough Stanford team. Probably the best game I have ever played in all the years of NCAA. I'll just copy the recap from my blog.

It was a cool, rainy day in Stanford, CA, as Washington State came in with a four game losing streak. The Cardinal were heavily favored to win this one. Within two minutes, they scored and it appeared it was going to be another thrashing for WSU.

However, things took a turn for the better when WSU forced several turnovers, and never once turned the ball over themselves. Jeff Tuel had the game of his career, leading a WSU offense we had not yet seen this season. WSU took a 21-14 lead heading into the half.

Things really turned interesting going into the fourth, with the Cougars sitting on top of a 24-14 lead. All looked well until Andrew Luck hit his WR for a 41 yard TD pass, sending the stadium into a state of euphoria. WSU struggled to get anything going and gave the ball back to Stanford, unwillingly via a punt, of course. With 3:25 to go, Andrew Luck finds yet another hole in the defense, hitting the same receiver again, this time for 62 yards.

Stanford looked like they might escape this one, leading 28-24. The pressure was on, with just over 3 minutes to go. Jeff Tuel found Daniel Blackledge on back to back passes that set WSU up in Stanford territory.

Tuel then found Isiah Barton on second down at the 36, running a deep post over the middle of the field. Barton snagged the ball out of the air, plowed forward, stopped just short of the goalline. The fans grew quiet, WSU had only one yard to go, and they had just over 2 minutes to do so.
On first down, right away they hand it to the fullback, Bosch, who finds a gaping hole to run through, untouched! Touchdown Cougars! WSU takes a 31-28 lead, with 1:55 to go.

Too much time remained, though, and Andrew Luck, minus a couple of untimely interceptions, had torn this defense apart with his precision accuracy. It appeared no different this time around. He marched his men down to around the 40 in WSU territory, with :39 to go. Several plays later, a 4th and 10. They go to the air, finding who else but Whalen right over the middle, uncovered.
This setup first and ten at the 28. First down, incomplete pass to the flats. Second down, run the ball up the middle for a 6 yard gain. 3rd down came, they call a timeout, :18 remain at the 22 yard line.
Andrew Luck sets up in the shotgun. A wet ball is snapped high, he snags it, secures it in his hands. The offensive line holds up any pressure from the WSU defense.
Luck, plenty of time to throw, heaves one in the corner of the endzone...Cory Burk is there in coverage...Burk INTERCEPTS IT, taking it just inches from the Stanford wide out! Burk runs out of the endzone, down the sideline..pushed out at the 14! It's OVER! They have done it!

Washington State pulls off an improbable upset at Stanford, 31-28. This game was dubbed an ESPN Instant Classic, given a classic score of 1167. WSU gets their much deserved second win of the year, and first conference win of the year as well.

That throw to the corner of the endzone, man I thought the receiver was going to come down with it and win it at the last second for them. But somehow my CB came down with the ball...I couldn't believe it.

Last edited by NoDakHusker; 08-20-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 AM   #12
Rookie

TylerOSU's Arena

OVR: 1

I just played a 3 overtime thriller today vs UNC, I was GT running AF pb.

I sim my D(on Varsity, tho thinking of going AA due to online default for that)and Yates was moving up and down at will on soft GT D. and UNC was pretty tough on D as expected.

They jumped out 17-0 in teh first quarter just as I was getting warmed up with my option based attack. Sure enough, at halftime it was tied up 24/24 and I was cruising along nicely, though I was passing too much for my liking.

We match scores again going into 4th and duke it out against their aggresive D, and I end up tying it up finally with 6 sec to go.

In the first OT we both match, nothing fancy.

2nd OT I forgot I was starting first so I simmed first 2 plays lol, luckily no disasters. Their turn in OT they match as well

3rd OT they start and throw a PICK!!! Tarant runs it back 50yds(No to house the house wtf? SIM!!!!) and I take over, and nearly forget all I need is a FG to win and very nearly fumble a few option plays. I end up running a 3/10 quick sweep and Peeples takes it to the house lol.

54-45 final I think, it was good stuff! Most thrilling game so far this year for me.
Houston: Houston PB <3 AIR RAID!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 11

Not that close of a game, but I played Temple vs. My Teambuilder team in the MAC Championship game (2nd year of Dynasty). Temple's RB was leading the nation in rushing yards, and my guy was 2nd.

I hurt Temple's RB on his 3rd run, he was out until the 2nd half. He then came back, ran once, and I hurt him for another quarter. He ended up with 22 yards. My RB was unstoppable all night, and rushed for 231 yards. He's still in 2nd place by about 20 yards.

The game was tight. I could really only get a few field goals here and there. Final score was 26-3, but only because I picked up a fumble late and ran it back, and hit 2 field goals in the fourth.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #14
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12

Alright, let me set the scene. I am #4 Virginia Tech, sitting at 6-0 on the season hosting a 3-3 Wake Forest team searching for a win after 3 straight losses. My season has went well so far, barely escaping a scare against boston college, 13-3. I beat Boise State to start the season 48-22. I play 9 min quarters, acc clock, playmaker's varsity sliders with my own tweaks to make it more of a defense battle. Anyways, on to the game.

To catch things up to speed, I will do a short summary until I get to the most exciting part. First quarter, Wake Forrest drives right down the field, but Foster's defense steps up and we hold em to 3 points. I get the ball, and I am shut down, and intercepted on their 5 yard line. Force Wake to punt next drive, and then we drive down and I miss a 39 yard field goal due to 12 mph winds. I am INFURIATED!! So then, 1st quarter ends, 3-0. We fight back and forth in 2nd quarter, and I get the ball with like 1 minute left in quarter and try to drive and I am stopped on and punt it to them, downing the ball on the 6 yard line with about 16 seconds left. What does Wake Forrest do? They run a draw play and dude runs it to the 45 yard line with 5 seconds left, time out WF. They drop back, throw the Hail Mary, Cris Hill is out of position, TOUCHDOWn...****!!! Going into half time 10-0.

3rd Quarter, things pretty go the same way...my offense sucks hard, and defense doing enough to keep them from scoring. I Finally connect on a 47 yard field goal, and its now 10-3.

4th quarter rolls around and pressure is on. So they have ball and they drive down the field and connect on a 28 yard td pass, 17-3 with 5:37 left. At this point, I am feeling it is over. So then, I get the ball, and instantly throw an interception on first play. At this point, definitely feeling it being over. But defense steps up, hold them 3 and out, and they punt to me, and its a touchback. I get the ball, try 2 passes, denied. on 3rd down, they blitz the house, I hit jarrod boykin on a slant behind where the linebacker's were (hot routes ftw!) and hit him in stride, slam a spin move on their safety, juke the corner back out of his shoes, dart to the sideline and its a foot race...80 yard touchdown with 4:04 left in game, alright back in it!! Line up for PAT, my thumb slips off sticks, and I miss the PAT...DAMNIT!!!! 17-9. So WF gets the ball and their running attack rips me a new sphincter, driving right down the field. they milk the clock, I run out of time outs and its about 2:05 left in game, they on my 30 yard line. Their fb gets a dive on 3rd and inches, and I slam him with Eddie Whitley, and all the sudden ball squirts out, I pick it up with Davon Morgan, I breeak 2 tackles and jet down the sideline for 70 yards for the td. I am on my feet screaming and hollering. Then, booth review...overturned, fb's knee was down. No time outs, 2 minutes left, they turn over the call AND they got the first down. I am so pissed I can't see straight. They milk the clock some more, and on 3rd down with 52 seconds left, they go to run the option, qb fakes the pitch, I stay home with Steven Friday, and I slam his *** and Jake Johnson dives and his helmet smacks the ball and it squirts out, and Eddie Whitley is there for the recovery. Finally a breath of air!

46 seconds left, on time outs, ball on my own 15 yard line. I connect with a few huge passes and move down the field with my no huddle offense. I get to the 32 yard line and throw 3 passes in a row, incomplete. On the next play, I catch them with some confusion, running the HB circle out of 4 WR shotgun, Marcus Davis runs his route perfect, faking the safety out, he gets 2 steps on the safety, and jets up the sideline. Defense end flies off the edge and dives, I hurl the ball, get smacked but the ball lands in back of endzone, Davis dives and catches it as hes going out of bounds, TD!!!! :16 seconds left in ball game, score is 17-15 WF. Got to have 2 pt conversion. I run the option out of ace, catching them off guard as I used my passing attack primarily, and I juke around the d-end, and dive into the endzone for 2 pts and tie the ball game up, 17 all. Heart is RACING at this point. They get the ball, get bout 30 yard return, but get a holding call and they are put back at 10 yard line. Next play, they hit a deep pass and get to my 40 yard line with 6 seconds left. I was so mad, but stayed poised. Next play, hail mary...drops back, Friday comes off edge and spears QB so hard his nephew felt it...end of regulation, 17 all going into OT in Blacksburg.

OT starts, they win toss and elect defense. I get the ball, run it 2 times, get stopped 3rd and 6. I drop back to pass, wide open Danny Coale across middle on an in Route, I release the ball, but their nose tackle jumps up and bats it down, 4th and 6. I line up, kick the ball, field goal is good!

They get the ball, first play they try a pass and I kill their qb. 2nd play, they try a HB draw, which had been killing me all game, and I bring Barquell Rivers off the edge and demolish him for a 3 yard loss. 3rd and 13, QB drops back, Friday comes off edge goes for sack, QB ducks and Friday flies over...QB evades, rolls out, throws across middle of the field and Cris Hill, who gave up the Hail Mary at half time, jumped the pass, intercepts the ball, completely redeems himself, and it's game over!!! The commentators were going nuts when he intercepted the pass and talked about how awesome the game was.

Hokies win, 20-17 in OT.

This game became #1 instant classic, score of 892. Damn good game, one of the most memorable and hardest games I've ever played. My sliders right now kick ***. I love the challenge. Thank you EA Sports for delivering such a fantastic football game. My prayers were answered.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
All Star

WWF80sKid's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furq
Big 12 championship game, I had an undefeated season going and was ranked #3. Nebraska was #11 I think.

I went down 31-0 by the 2nd quarter (bizarre game where my team fumbled a couple times, threw a pick six, and their team was catching all kinds of bombs somehow).

I scored the next 41 points in a row to win 41-31, and the big 12 title.

The frustrating part was that despite my undefeated season I was ranked #3 in the BCS and ended up blowing out TCU in the fiesta bowl.
What team were you?

All of these games are so awesome to read about.

I've noticed a few people say something about feeling like the game is definitely over, and they've lost it. I've had the same feeling many times, only to come back.

My two games last night, where I won both with field goals at the end of regulation, I had told myself that I lost both of them. My Arizona State/Arizona game, Steven Threet threw 4 interceptions. I finally benched his butt and put in their backup, who only got picked off once, but also threw for a touchdown, something Threet couldn't do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2010, 10:03 AM   #16
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12

Alright so maybe I lied, this is one of my greatest games ever. I posted it last year, so the below is copy and pasted. Trust me, this is WORTH the read.

OK, to get you up to speed, NCAA 09, PS3, Virginia Tech vs. Ohio State, National Championship Game, Heisman difficulty, 7 min quarters, I lost 1 game early in the season, but I won the BCS bid after blowing out Florida state in the ACC championship game. So I barely snuck into the number 2 spot to get in the Nat'l title game.

Fast forward to 4th quarter, I am getting blasted, 24-7, 7 min left in the game, I have hardly had any offensive plays to get me anywhere (scored of INT return). Ok, so I have the ball on my side of the field, I drop back with Tyrod, I run around the pocket, as I am more of a scrambler than a pocket passer, I like making guys get open with my legs. I roll out to the right as linebacker closes in on me, my WR dumps in behind the linebacker on a slant, catches the ball, Tyrod takes the hit, but I am off to the races with the WR 60 some yards for the TD, 24-14 with around 5 minutes left, BUT...Tyrod goes out for the game, Oh gosh! In comes Sean Glennon, pocket passer, and like i said, I am not a good pocket passer, so this has me worried. So they get the ball, drive down to around my 35 yard line, I hault them. They line up for a field goal with a little over 3 minutes left, and WIDE RIGHT!

24-14, 3 minutes left, my ball. Sean glennon has a nice start, as I do this money place out of ace where you have 2 te's on the right, one a yard off the ball, receiver to the left of field, and the underneath TE goes on a deep out pattern, other TE has a blocking delayed drag towards sideline...one or the other is almost always open. So I hit my TE on the drag after they bring the blitz, he catches it, breaks 2 tackles and he is off for a TD with around 2:30 to go, 24-21. I am feeling good at this point. So on the ensuing kicking off, the unthinkable happens...they field the ball and he goes untouched over 100 yards for a KR TD, 31-21...and my sails deflated after this.

Close to 2 minutes left, down by 10 points, almost impossible to come back from. So regardless, I go after it anyways, I drive down the field on a long pass to my RB and he gets down to the 30ish of Oh. state and I call a time out with about 1:30 left. I pull out shotgun 4 wr spread, call double smash routes to both sides of the field. Danny Coale is sent down left side of the field, running the route perfectly, safety over top, corner bites on underneath, I throw the pass, but Glennon is terrible inaccurate, safety jumps the pass and Interception around the 5 yard line, NOOOOOOOOO i scream, thats the game...its done for. About that time, the defender catches the ball, he spins, my receiver hits him, pushes him back into the endzone from the field of play, and another receiver comes up and takes his legs out in the endzone, and what do you know, a freaking safety!!!!!!!!!!! 31-23, down 8 points, about a minute left 2 time outs, and that was the luckiest thing I ever seen before.

At this point I am worried cause the game is on the line, AGAIN, but I suck it up and I field the ball and get to about the 25, not a good spot like I had hoped. 50ish seconds left...I hit danny coale on a play action route , he runs it down the left sideline and he is off to the races, all the sudden bam the safety cuts me off and i fumble out of bounds around their 35 yard line. I pass the ball 3 times in a row, all resulting in incompletions, at this point I am fuming, 4-10, 35 yard line, 25 or so seconds left, 2 time outs...game on the line. So I call a flag route to Boykin to the right side of the field, he catches the ball, and he runs down to the 14yard line and tackled, time out quickly, with 17 seconds left. I then try a play, and I get sacked, but I only lose a yard, so I call a time out with 10 seconds left from the 15 yard line. I am sweatin bullets, i get tackled in play its game over. So I pull out what I know best, my money TE playaction pass...I drop back, DT comes free, I have to dump it off, I hit my TE underneath on the delay drag, he runs to the 2 goes to dive in the pylon and BAM, shoved out of bounds, with no time left, game over. HOLD ON, the booth reviews the spot of the ball, come to find out after slow mo, he snuck his left foot inside the pylon with the ball in possession, and they overturned it, TOUCHDOWN!!!!! 31-29 with no time left on the clock, this is it. One last chance to seal one of the best comebacks ever.

So I again, being me and sticking with what works, I pull out that play action te pass. This time they approach the line with linebackers pushed over my te's to the right, leaving left side one one coverage on my WR...so I hot routed to a slant behind the lb's. Well i hike the ball, they did a hell of a job hiding their coverage, as it looked like man, but dropped back into cover 2...oh god. Cover 2 will not let this play work. So i roll to the right, both my te's running towards right sideline about 5 yards apart, both covered tightly. the te that released first went to sideline, but then cuts back to the center of the field and chips the linebacker cover my drag TE, and gives him a slight break, I see it, dump the pass off and the conversion is GOOD 31-31 all tied up and time for overtime!!!!!! I was jumpin up and down and screaming, could not believe I mounted this big of a comeback.

So OT starts, they get the ball first, 31-31, and what do ya know, touchdown on the first play from the 25 yard line, 38-31. so I get the ball, after 2 tries, I finally pull out an option that goes the distance and I score, 38-38. So then I get the ball, they hold me, and I kick a fieldgoal, 41-38. They get the ball, foster's defense swells up, and stop them, they gotta kick, so its 41-41.

Here is where things go crazy. They get the ball, knowing extra points can no longer be kicked as its the 3rd round, and my d swells again, and I hold them to a field goal, 44-41. I get the ball, 3 incompletions later I am facing 4th down and 10, nervous as hell, game on the line. I pause it to re-think my strategy and I realize, if I don't get a touchdown here, I am going to keep them in this game with as much hurtin as they have been puttin on me and they gonna end up scoring and getting the 2 point conversion to win the game, 4th OT was out of the question. So, I did the unthinkinable...no...the unimaginable. Now, normally, I am a big time conservative play caller, I won't do anything too riskey to save me making big mistakes. But i went against my normal judgement this time, and I bring up that ace formation with two te's to the right, wr to the left, but instead of calling the normal play action pass to the right, I call a draw play...yes folks, draw play on 4th and 10 with game on the line. I hike the ball, glennon sits back, their linebackers drop into coverage expecting the pass, and i hand it off to darren evans up the gut. I break through the line, 2 linebackers converge on me and I juke to the right, sending them into the line grasping air, and at this point, i was approaching the first down marker. I then juked left, and the free safety COMPLETELY wiffed, I make it across first down marker, still holding my breath, but the strong safety approaches fast and hard from the side, he hits me in the back, but it does one of those animations where they grab on to your pads, but fall off and hit the ground, he sends me flying forward, and I cross the line, TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!! GAME OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yep, I scored a TD on 4th and 10 from the 25 yard line in 3rd OT against oh. state, and it was the most amazing feat I have ever had. What ensued, still sticks with me to this day, as it cued some commentary I have never heard before. The announcers were hollering and screaming and said ITS OVER ITS OVER THEY HAVE DONE IT!!!! THIS WILL GO DOWN AS ONE OF THE GUTSIEST PLAYS OFF ALL TIME RUNNING THE BALL ON 4TH DOWN TO WIN THE BALL GAME!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT COACH!!?!?! and they keep going on and on analyizng what had just happened, and I was freakin out cause I never seen a finish like that in any video game ever. I won the game 47-41 as the underdogs against an undefeated buckeyes team, that was picked to win. I was completely decimated at the beginning and Glennon stepped in for an injured tyrod and brought us back to win. Needless to say, next season, Glennon earned the starting position. Still to this day, I have never forgot anything that happened during that game, it plays over in my head.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »