Home

Caution on Formation Subs and Redshirts

This is a discussion on Caution on Formation Subs and Redshirts within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Rookie

Mack Attack 11's Arena

OVR: 10
Caution on Formation Subs and Redshirts

Just a heads up on this. This morning I was using formation subs to adjust my onside kick defense (hands team), my kickoff coverage, and my kickoff return. In the normal depth chart change menu if you mistakenly try to add a red shirted player to your depth chart a warning pops up to inform you that he will lose his redshirt status. In formation subs there is NO warning. I accidentally used red shirts to sub in the formations and once you do this they automatically lose their redshirt despite the fact that they have not even played a game yet. I lost about three redshirts. Just wanted to let people know so they don't get caught by learning the hard way as I did.

Last edited by Mack Attack 11; 08-20-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: Caution on Formation Subs and Redshirts

just to clarify after the season the redshirt was burned. i word it like that because i was wondering if it was possible doing that caused the redshirt icon to disappear but they still gave you the redshirt after the season just like if you had a player who you didnt redshirt before the season but he didnt play so he got a redshirt.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Rookie

Mack Attack 11's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActLikeYouCrow
just to clarify after the season the redshirt was burned. i word it like that because i was wondering if it was possible doing that caused the redshirt icon to disappear but they still gave you the redshirt after the season just like if you had a player who you didnt redshirt before the season but he didnt play so he got a redshirt.
This just happened and it is week 2 so I am not sure on this. However, when I go into the depth chart the icon is gone as well as the normal text that says redshirt. Also, when I go into edit roster the text that says redshirt is gone. Finally, when I go into depth chart and try to place him on the depth chart I do not get the warning about loss of redshirt. Therefore, I think it has been lost.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

A couple of notes:

1. While it doesn't tell you the guy's supposed to redshirt, you can see the redshirt icon next to his avatar. I've gotten into the habit of looking at the avatar when I'm inserting someone using formation subs (since I did the same thing as you before).

2. Technically, a guy redshirts if he doesn't have any stats, not because you put a "redshirt" on him. Putting a redshirt on someone prevents them from playing which means that they get no stats which means he'll get redshirted at the end of the season. What this means is that if you burned someone's redshirt by putting him in formation subs, if you remove him from formation subs and don't ever play him, he'll still redshirt at the end of the year.

IE. My team had a FR(RS) K and a true FR P. It won't let me redshirt the punter since he's the only punter on my team. I started my kicker @ kicker, punter, and kickoffs which meant that my punter never played. Since he never played, he was a FR(RS) the following year instead of a true SO, even though I never flagged him as a redshirt at the beginning of the year.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
We Here

Hassan Darkside's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
A couple of notes:

1. While it doesn't tell you the guy's supposed to redshirt, you can see the redshirt icon next to his avatar. I've gotten into the habit of looking at the avatar when I'm inserting someone using formation subs (since I did the same thing as you before).

2. Technically, a guy redshirts if he doesn't have any stats, not because you put a "redshirt" on him. Putting a redshirt on someone prevents them from playing which means that they get no stats which means he'll get redshirted at the end of the season. What this means is that if you burned someone's redshirt by putting him in formation subs, if you remove him from formation subs and don't ever play him, he'll still redshirt at the end of the year.

IE. My team had a FR(RS) K and a true FR P. It won't let me redshirt the punter since he's the only punter on my team. I started my kicker @ kicker, punter, and kickoffs which meant that my punter never played. Since he never played, he was a FR(RS) the following year instead of a true SO, even though I never flagged him as a redshirt at the beginning of the year.
I didn't realize the game was that smart.

I did the same thing the OP did and when I realized it, I immediately backed out to the dashboard in fear that I lost his redshirt status.
Royce da 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
How many brothers fell victim to the skeet.........
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Yeah. I did this with Johnny White, senior HB at UNC. Didn't need him, but wanted depth next year, so I redshirted him. I know that if I take him out and he doesn't play, he's still given the redshirt. But I don't know if they still give a senior the RS if they don't accumulate any stats.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
A couple of notes:

Really? You are certain about this?

I can't remember NCAA ever doing this in previous versions, even last gen when they had so many options. Righteous if true.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Vol
Really? You are certain about this?

I can't remember NCAA ever doing this in previous versions, even last gen when they had so many options. Righteous if true.
It's been in the game for years. No stats, no season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »