Home

Spread vs 2 min Drill

This is a discussion on Spread vs 2 min Drill within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
Spread vs 2 min Drill

Just played a game against an South Miss team who runs the spread offense. To me...it was more like the 2 min drill all game when Southern Miss was on offense. In the first qtr alone, I think ran the hurry up offense all but about maybe 4 plays. I enjoy watching those type of teams, but the game just don't handle it correctly with the play clock.

Is they anyway of changing their play style vs this 2 min drill the whole game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Rookie

Lavar's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Spread vs 2 min Drill

You can't do anything about this. Its been a gripe of mine for years. The cpu/ai has no clue about time of possession. Every team comes out of the huddle at the 30 second mark on the playclock, they normal snap the ball at the 25-22 seconds mark thus not using about 20 seconds.

I watched one of my dvd's the other day of Texas Tech vs Texas. Tech as we all know ran a no huddle aggressive pass system, yet even with the no huddle they still took their time to line up bark out signals and make adjustments. Not once did I see them snap the ball with more than 15 seconds on the play clock, alot of times it was under 10 before they'd snap.

The no-huddle offense is usually employed as part of a hurry-up offense, but it is not necessarily an attempt to snap the ball quicker. Rather, the lack of huddle allows the offense to threaten to snap the ball quickly, denying the defending team time to substitute players and communicate effectively between coaches and players.

What the cpu/ai is running is a 2 minute offense not a no huddle offense there is a difference.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 20

Posted this already in one of the other threads on this topic, but in my experience this is about your defensive playcall; specifically, it's about not over-thinking things and remembering this is a video game. For instance, if the CPU is running no-huddle and runs a draw, call the next play to defend the draw - watch 'em slow right the hell down and audible out of their next playcall, send a guy in motion, give a hard-count, etc. It's only one example and perhaps a bit simplistic, but I'm honestly not having this problem; I've seen the CPU take the playclock down under 10 seconds while running the hurry-up spread - many times, in fact.

If I had to give some basic defensive playcalling advice, it would be to forget everything you think you know about real-life football and, like I said, reestablish to yourself that you're playing a video game. Obviously the playcall matters, but it's also programmed such that a 12-year-old who knows nothing about football can play and win games. Think about that the next time the CPU is shredding you.

Don't overthink things; simplify your defensive gameplan; execute the play you call with the player you're controlling - which is another thing: don't underestimate the effect YOU have on a given defensive play, and, in turn, don't overestimate the effect the playcall has.

I know everyone's an expert here, but that's my two cents.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Posted this already in one of the other threads on this topic, but in my experience this is about your defensive playcall; specifically, it's about not over-thinking things and remembering this is a video game. For instance, if the CPU is running no-huddle and runs a draw, call the next play to defend the draw - watch 'em slow right the hell down and audible out of their next playcall, send a guy in motion, give a hard-count, etc. It's only one example and perhaps a bit simplistic, but I'm honestly not having this problem; I've seen the CPU take the playclock down under 10 seconds while running the hurry-up spread - many times, in fact.

If I had to give some basic defensive playcalling advice, it would be to forget everything you think you know about real-life football and, like I said, reestablish to yourself that you're playing a video game. Obviously the playcall matters, but it's also programmed such that a 12-year-old who knows nothing about football can play and win games. Think about that the next time the CPU is shredding you.

Don't overthink things; simplify your defensive gameplan; execute the play you call with the player you're controlling - which is another thing: don't underestimate the effect YOU have on a given defensive play, and, in turn, don't overestimate the effect the playcall has.

I know everyone's an expert here, but that's my two cents.
It is not about the CPU was shredding me...won 38-0. The problem was the team ran the 2 min drill. 3 and out just about every time, held them to 75 yrds total offense, because they only had the ball about 7 min in the whole game.

I understand what u are saying....yes the game is designed for kids really, just don't like playing those type of games where it was a 2 min drill the whole game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »