Home

An easy way for the dev team to fix the depth chart issue

This is a discussion on An easy way for the dev team to fix the depth chart issue within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #17
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
Re: An easy way for the dev team to fix the depth chart issue

You don't necessarily have to limit it to the actual position. You can use specific attributes to filter who can play somewhere.

ie. You can't play QB unless you have THP or THA gt 50. Some former athletes could still run something. They should use weight on the OL. If you aren't at least 240-250 lbs, you can't play on the OL or at DT. Weight is ignored too much in the ratings system imo.

There are a lot of unique ways to keep certain guys out of certain positions. Might require some extra lines of code or work but I'm sure it can be done.

I really like spit_bubbles list in his first post. I wouldn't have a problem with that at all although I think the kicker/punter thing should only be a 5 point spread, not 10.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfan1993
But I think that is his point, you could have recruited a punter in real life and then have a kicker beat him out...
Yeah, but my guess is teams won't have a competition between the two if their ratings are close. The only time a kicker would punt is if the punter sucked (relative to the kicker's ability to punt). Thus, the 10 point differential...

In fact, rudyjuly2 I think you're right... 5 probably equates to a significant enough difference, as the overall rating for kickers and punters is heavily influenced by the the kicking attributes.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
Rookie

ndfan1993's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
Yeah, but my guess is teams won't have a competition between the two if their ratings are close. The only time a kicker would punt is if the punter sucked (relative to the kicker's ability to punt). Thus, the 10 point differential...

In fact, rudyjuly2 I think you're right... 5 probably equates to a significant enough difference, as the overall rating for kickers and punters is heavily influenced by the the kicking attributes.
See I would disagree here, in that K/P should be the two positions that are ok within the current system. The kicking game in real life is a weird beast, however I do believe we need a better ratings system for them.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #20
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfan1993
See I would disagree here, in that K/P should be the two positions that are ok within the current system. The kicking game in real life is a weird beast, however I do believe we need a better ratings system for them.
I'm pretty sure the game just puts the best kicker at all kicking positions, and that's not realistic. If they are indeed gonna patch this thing, might as well try to come up with a short term solution.

And yeah, as ycbs said above, maybe the long term solution would be to split up the kicking rating into "place kicking" and "punting".

Last edited by spit_bubble; 08-23-2010 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #21
Rookie

Hunsy34's Arena

OVR: 3

You would have to careful with the weight thing for the defensive line look at guys like tim shaw and aaron maybin that had great careers on the D line and are undersized. I think it would be better to just limit positions certain players can be changed to. As for the kickers if you have a punter with 88 acc and 89 power and a kicker with 91 acc and 90 power if you put the punter at the kicker position the punter should lose some power and acc nothing dramatic but maybe 3-4 points or something like that. But you do see some kickers that have both duties.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #22
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunsy34
You would have to careful with the weight thing for the defensive line look at guys like tim shaw and aaron maybin that had great careers on the D line and are undersized. I think it would be better to just limit positions certain players can be changed to...
Size and speed are the two main things I considered with this list I came up with, so for the defensive line the only ones who could switch to the d-line are offensive linemen and OLB (with OLB limited to DE only).

As for limiting positions for certain players, that is a more complex, but possible longer term solution. A lot of this stuff you can just cut corners to the same effect.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »