Home

What are your "House Rules"?

This is a discussion on What are your "House Rules"? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #33
Football Fanatic

Yukon46's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: What are your "House Rules"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
In this thread: you find people who would be amazing to be in an online dynasty with!

I'm seeing some house rules I might have to adopt myself! I need to get some of my starters off special teams...
I have not posted in this thread yet...but have followed it....then I saw this post, and it reminded me of a thread I had ready to post to start a OD, but never went with it, mainly because I did not see people out there talking about playing like this....

Here is a copy of that thread I never made...

So here is my new Dynasty....
I want players who use the “Ask Coach” feature !
I want players who run the plays the “Ask Coach” comes up with…period !

Sure…there is some circumstances of leeway……(examples will be given in the Dynasty)
But for the most part, I want people that like the idea of running the plays that are called.

They don’t use hot routes, audibles, gameplan. They don’t pick favorite plays that work over and over again.
They don’t motion their receivers to the clear spot, or to adjust the LB’s……just about anything that sounds like that….is like that.
When running the “Ask Coach "… You run the play that is called to the best of your ability and or your teams ability.

Yes, the feature does sometimes make Horrible calls….Thats the Point !

Using all those other features mentioned above, just gives the player even more of an advantage to win….when they already HAD the advantage !

Why would you wanna play on a unrealistic setting that just makes the
CPU over rated superbots ? You say you play like that to make the games competitive. But the harder the setting and sliders, the more cheese you gotta pull to win…..that not competitive, that’s cheesy !

Try to run the “Ask Coach” plays (just the one, that comes up….dont scroll !)
Now that’s what I call playing the game Straight-Up Sim Style !

Sure those other features are there (Hot routes, audibles...), and many people feel they are cool, needed features…and they are needed, when you play a Human Opponent, totally agree !

But that is not what I am talking about here, this is Human vs CPU

Last edited by Yukon46; 08-25-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

I don't know if these are house rules more like strategic rules to allow the CPU offense to flow better during games

I turn Tackling and stripping to conservative it just makes the CPU RB's handle the ball better.

I use conservative vs Option offenses and Mobile QB's because it allows the CPU QB's in those systems to actually do a little something on the option play and they take off scrambling now.

That's basically it for me.

Oh yeah I utilize the No switch rule so i guess that applies as a house rule.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

Last edited by Playmakers; 08-25-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #35
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

I utilize Player-Lock on D; I control the MLB in my FSU Dynasty and the FS in my SDSU Dynasty. Love the camera angle.

Use Ask Coach (Corso) on offense and run the play that is highlighted 95% of the time, unless it is the quad verts or some crazy PA pass that I know won't work. I just choose one of the other plays on the screen instead.

No manual catching.

No hot-routing slot receivers. If I see the safties creep up, I will send my outside WR on a go route every now and then just to try and take advantage of the 1-on-1 matchup on the outside.

Don't go for it on 4th down unless called for, or in the case of SDSU and I have a really weak kicker, I will go for it if I'm inside the CPU's 35-yard-line.

Don't set any of the Gameplan settings to Aggressive, unless I'm down late and need to try and hit a big play on either side of the ball. I usually just leave everything on Gameplan on Balanced.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #36
Pro

IIx Nautica xII's Arena

OVR: 22

Here are the rules I use in my league over at TF, I hope this will help some guys out in getting their league rules set

General League Rules:

• 8 minute quarters on All-American with adjusted sliders.
  • All members will have 3 User games per year.
  • Each Week will be advanced every 3rd day roughly around 1am.
  • League members must post their general availability within the scheduling forum.
  • Before the start of each season, each league member must post a detailed Dept Chart of their team in the Scouting Reports. Members must also keep a detailed list of signed recruits within their scouting report.
  • All league members must post their games Box-Scores within the Game Summaries sub-forum after every game.
3 Strike Rule and Reporting Violations:
  • This league is implementing a 3 Strike Policy on rule violations. 3 league rule violations and your league status will be revoked.
  • Banned players can submit an appeal to me by means of PM, If I deem that it is worthy, the appeal will go before the league for a vote of reinstatement.
  • Any and all league violations should be reported to me by means of PM. Please include a detailed description of the offense and any video highlights or pictures as evidence.
  • Corrective actions will be appropriate to the offense. They can include forfeiture of scholarships, Auto-pilot of User games, and loss of weekly recruitment privileges.
General Game Play Rules:
  • Controlling players: You must control the ball carrier at all times.
  • Sportsmanship: Please refrain from trash talk, and if you must please use your better judgment. No matter what the score is, or if you are in disagreement of how the other person is playing, do not quit.
  • Play-calling: Each player should utilize their entire playbook, and refrain from abusing "Money" plays.
  • Running up of scores and stat "Whoring": This is something that is highly frowned upon and will lead to corrective action if you are found to be doing so. If you are head by more then 3 touchdowns you are to substitute your second string in. Any player on a team that is starting to acquire unrealistic stats, is to be substituted with the second string. The only instance where a player with borderline unrealistic stats should be kept is during close games. There is a scoring cap of 70 unless the game is close.
  • Disconnects and Restarts: At no point should a game be restarted, but in the event that it does happen, the player is required to post the reason within the General League Discussion tread and send a PM to me. Any member found to have an invalid reason for a restart will have their game results thrown out and the game simulated. In the result of a disconnection from a user game, if it occurs within the first 3 quarters the game must be restarted. If it occurs within the 4th quarter, then the remainder of the game is to be simulated. In the event of a disconnection, both users are required to post the reason within the General Discussion tread and to send me a PM. Repeat offenders will not be tolerated and will be subjected to a Ban from the league. Intentionally quitting a User or CPU game will get you immediately banned from the league, and possibly from the site, so don't do it.
  • Game Planning: Game-plan should be kept at normal at all times. Changing of any of the game-plan settings will greatly disrupt the sliders and will cause unrealistic results. The only setting that can be changed is the tempo setting to run out the clock.
  • Off-Season: At the end of every season, we will designate 1 night where everyone is to be on to complete all of the off-season tasks. If for some reason you cannot attend, you may designate another site member to step in your place during this time. It is extremely encouraged that everyone have a mic during this time, so that there is proper communication and when it comes to advancement and position changes.
Roster and Depth Chart Rules:
  • Position changes are to be done before the start of the preseason and a detailed Depth Chart is to posted within the Scouting Reports sub-forum.
  • Position Changes during mid-season are allowed but only under extreme instances. For example, if you are depleted at LB because of injuries and have no red-shirts, It is OK to move a safety who falls within the position criteria to help with depth. Members must PM me with the details and situation prior to this happening.
  • Position Criteria: Note that these do not apply to incoming recruits
Position Restrictions
QB No Restrictions
RB No Restrictions
FB Weight>230, Speed<84
WR No Restrictions
TE Height>6'2, Weight>230, Speed<84
OL No Restrictions
DE Weight>240, Speed<84
DT Weight>270
LB Weight>210, Speed<86
CB No Restrictions
S No Restrictions
Recruiting Rules:
  • Recruiting will be set to All-American.
  • The league is going to utilize the +3 rule.
  • Each team is only allowed to sign recruits equal to the overall number of Seniors, unless you wish to use one of your 3 extra scholarships.
  • Once you have signed the allowed number of recruits, you must revoke all other scholarship offers to other recruits, unless it is one of your +3 recruits.
  • There is a roster limit of 70 players. If you happen to go over this, then you will need to trim your roster down during the off-season.
Offensive Game Play Rules:

• Play-Calling: Be sure to show your opponent different formations and different plays out of each. Of course, exceptions on offense come from your playbook. If you are using Florida or Georgia Tech's playbooks, for example, the formations that are available are not very different. However, even in those playbooks, different looks are available and should be utilized. It is understandable (and acceptable) for a team that is down by a lot to become one dimensional, needing to throw the ball. By the same token, a team that is up by a lot is permitted to become one dimensional running the ball to keep the clock running. As long as the game is close, it is expected that all box scores reflect a concerted effort at reasonable play calling.
  • Playbooks: Members should use team specific playbooks. After the first season each league member will be able to implement a new playbook if desired and only if they have acquired the proper personnel to run it the way it is supposed to be.
  • No Huddle Offense: All teams are allowed to run the "hurry up" offense in both two minute drill situations. Any team losing in the 4th quarter is permitted to hurry up as often as they like. When using the hurry up offense, please allow your opponent to set their defense before snapping the ball. Purposely trying to cause off-sides penalties or taking advantage of defensive AI is not allowed. When running, you must allow the defense to be set for at least 1 second.
  • Excessive Offensive Audibles: Calling audibles at the line of scrimmage is commonplace in every level of football. However, these audibles are almost always to plays in the same formation, or to flip the side of the play. Audibles to a completely different formation are prohibited. Audibles to a different play in the same formation, or to flip the personnel to the other side of the field to run the same play is permitted. Calling an audible to change the formation circumvents personnel rules (I.E. WR at TE, WR at FB, HB at FB), and is not allowed. Excessive audibles of WR routes is prohibited.
  • Going for it on 4th: The acceptable situations for going for it on 4th are when you are past the 50 yard line with 1 yard or less to go, if you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, and if you are the losing team in the 4th quarter. You are never allowed to go for it on 4th down if you are ahead.
  • Motioning: Motioning of receivers and backs is allowed, if the defense audibles during a motion, you must wait for the defense to set before you can hike the ball.
  • QB Scrambling and Dropbacks: Unrealistic QB scrambling/sprinting is frowned upon on pass plays, including screens. Constantly dancing from sideline to sideline, running straight backwards or well behind the line of scrimmage without being under pressure is not realistic. This does not include option plays, designed QB runs or broken/pressured play situations. Purposefully dropping too far back in the pocket during regular passing plays is not allowed. Defensive AI doesn't take into account how far back in the pocket the QB is, allowing for wide open out routes and passes into the flats. This includes hitting a WR on said routes on screen plays.
  • Spreading the Ball Around: WR's should be the main target for passing plays. HB's should be check-down receivers and not primary targets. HB receptions should not get out of hand or be a primary aspect of an offensive game-plan. Your 3rd, 4th, and 5th WR should not be a primary target. Majority of passes should be thrown to your two outside WRs with few exceptions.
  • Offensive Subs: Keep players at the positions that they are assigned. Unless a specific package has some position changes, like the wildcat, you should not be changing players positions around to gain an unfair advantage.
  • Auto-Sprint: This is to be turned off during all User games.
  • Option Tosses: When running an option toss play, the QB should get rid of the ball before being tackled. Now if there is lag during User games and this happens, you are to run out of bounds or dive down ASAP.
Defensive Game Play:

• Play-Calling: Be sure to mix up coverages, blitzes, and the like. Showing blitz should be used VERY sparingly, but can be an option to mix it up. Sitting in Cover 3 or DE Contain all game, for example, is prohibited. In addition to making games more sim, mixing up your play-calling makes you a more lethal weapon as a coach. The more versatile you are on either side of the ball, the more you will be able to play mind games and set up plays against your opponent. The only exception to this goes along with offenses becoming one dimensional. If your opponent is forced to become one dimensional due to the score, you will be permitted to do so on defense.
  • Moving of Players: On defense, shifting linebackers and the defensive line is permitted. However, if you move a individual defensive player manually before the snap you must control that player at the snap of the ball. This includes moving a player to cover an assignment. No excessive line or linebacker shifts prior to snap, it is imperative that you keep them in their native positions. Using a bunch of pre-snap shifts and then manually moving a OLB in between the tackles shouldn't be a defensive strategy.
  • Blitzing: While blitzing is certainly a part of the game, please be realistic when doing so, and do not use it excessively. Any attempt to confuse the AI when blitzing is prohibited (ie. spreading your defensive line then shifting your LB's to create AI holes).
  • Defensive Subs: Keep your players at the positions in which they are assigned. This means no OLB's at DE, or SS at LB.
  • Run and Pass Commit: Players are not to use the run commit at any point through out the game. It can be very unrealistic, and can be used to corrupt the computer AI. Pass commit can only be used on obvious passing situations.
Special Teams Game Play:
  • Fake Punts and Field Goals: Any fake punt or field goal must follow the same rule used when going for it on fourth down. If you are allowed to go for it on 4th down in that situation, you can also fake the punt or field goal. Faking a FG or punt is part of the game and provides "the element of surprise," but please be realistic. These are utilized in NCAA but on a limited basis, so please keep that in mind.
  • Onside Kicks: Onside kicks are permitted at any time by the losing team in the 4th quarter only.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #37
Rookie

demon19000's Arena

OVR: 3

I play on Heisman, and I'm not that great on Heisman (I tend to make more than one huge mistake every game), so I don't have too many, just ones that don't exploit huge glitches. I don't play online either, so their purely for me.

-Don't run Four Verticals more than once or twice a game, and only in situations of 3rd and 20 or more.

-No back pump fake (obviously)

-Supersim rest of game if I feel like my system, controller, or disk might get murdered by me

-Sometimes I'll shut my system off and walk away if I'm really frustrated, but I'll have to sim the game I quit until I lose next time I play.
!
--------------------------------------
PSN: demon19000
Old 12-16-2011, 07:31 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon46
I have not posted in this thread yet...but have followed it....then I saw this post, and it reminded me of a thread I had ready to post to start a OD, but never went with it, mainly because I did not see people out there talking about playing like this....

Here is a copy of that thread I never made...

So here is my new Dynasty....
I want players who use the “Ask Coach” feature !
I want players who run the plays the “Ask Coach” comes up with…period !

Sure…there is some circumstances of leeway……(examples will be given in the Dynasty)
But for the most part, I want people that like the idea of running the plays that are called.

They don’t use hot routes, audibles, gameplan. They don’t pick favorite plays that work over and over again.
They don’t motion their receivers to the clear spot, or to adjust the LB’s……just about anything that sounds like that….is like that.
When running the “Ask Coach "… You run the play that is called to the best of your ability and or your teams ability.

Yes, the feature does sometimes make Horrible calls….Thats the Point !

Using all those other features mentioned above, just gives the player even more of an advantage to win….when they already HAD the advantage !

Why would you wanna play on a unrealistic setting that just makes the
CPU over rated superbots ? You say you play like that to make the games competitive. But the harder the setting and sliders, the more cheese you gotta pull to win…..that not competitive, that’s cheesy !

Try to run the “Ask Coach” plays (just the one, that comes up….dont scroll !)
Now that’s what I call playing the game Straight-Up Sim Style !

Sure those other features are there (Hot routes, audibles...), and many people feel they are cool, needed features…and they are needed, when you play a Human Opponent, totally agree !

But that is not what I am talking about here, this is Human vs CPU
I play this way as well. I'm a coach moder but I'm not the greatest playcaller so I pretend I'm Urban Meyer where I don't call any plays. I'm still on NCAA 11 in the 2017 season and my 4th year at Maryland. Just had a game where we beat UVA, 7-6.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #39
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

Last three games, default All-American, Ask Corso

W 7-6
W 12-10
L 0-7

Tough games in this style of play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #40
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

1. i edit my team, i know most of the guys on my BC team are over rated imo in terms of spd, agi, PRC, cov etc i edit them down as well as my recruits, my team now has limited talent with forces me to gameplan to compensate

2. those edits make it impossible to call cover 2 man all game i am forced to blitz, call zone to hide players especially against spread teams

3. i almost never user pick, i got 2 on tip balls. 90% no switch on D until the ball is caught

4. i always run a pro style offense(i love pro style) and my star gets the most targets, its easy to abuse the slot WR in spread imo.

5. 4th and anything in my half= punt, unless its late game situations.

#18 greatest EVA....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »