Home

Promises Thread

This is a discussion on Promises Thread within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2010, 11:45 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Promises Thread

I promised a punter solid playing time. I had him place kick, punt, and kick off. Somehow i broke the promise.....
Old 08-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #10
Rookie

Cornwallus's Arena

OVR: 1

He couldn't handle all those kicking duties.. You over-promised!!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:34 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda43
I have done some searching online, and i have searched these forums, and I havent seen this mentioned very much. I was sort of hoping that this thread would end up being a guide to discovering how all the promises work. Not just how promises corelate to making your program better in the Athletic Facilities category....or the early playing time category. But actually what you need to do as a coach...with a player - in order to complete a promise.

I have played this game through about 5 seasons now, i love how the recruiting works. Now, like anyone there are some things that frustrate me....but nothing frustrates me more than the vague promises that the game offers. Like for example the dreaded NO REDSHIRT YEAR promise. This one seems simple enough at first glance. Just dont red-shirt the player right?, WRONG....not only do you not redshirt him but you have to start him and play him every game in order to complete this promise. And most of us never would have known that except for trial and error.

So all im asking for out of this thread is for it to be a guide on how to complete the promises in the game.

So post away everyone....maybe we can shed some light on some of the craziness of these promises.
I'll just add that the early playing time promise will be broken if the incoming recruit does not start. Maybe that's already been established (haven't read the responses) here but I recruited a 4-star WR and signed him - he was a beast and I planned on either starting him or playing him in the slot. He ended up being my #3 WR (slot) and had 48 catches for over 800 yards and 7 TD as a true frosh but the promise was considered broken and he left.

That's my experience, any way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2010, 02:52 AM   #12
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
As for the redshirt thing, I'm pretty sure you only need to not redshirt him. The issue you might've had is that any player that's a true FR/SO/JR/SR that gets no stats will redshirt. IE. you promise a HB that you won't redshirt him and you don't redshirt him, but he doesn't make the depth chart either, then he's still going to redshirt.

On the other hand, if you play him once in garbage time and make sure that he gets 1 carry (or catch, or tackle, or pancake, or whathaveyou) and then he'll redshirt and you'll fulfill the promise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda43
Hmmm, really one of the guys in my dynasty promised a player that and broke the promise. But, he never redshirted the guy.....and he did play him some. So then can you explain how this promise works!!?
If you play a player after redshirting him, then you lift the redshirt, therefore breaking the promise. If you never set the redshirt in preseason he WILL NOT be automatically redshirted. He will be buried on the depth chart, that's all.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 9

It really depends on the position and the scheme, I believe.

1 player positions -- QB, Safety, RB, K/P, O-line, LE, RE...They need to be first on the depth chart to get the promise for them.

2 player positions -- WR, CB...They need to be first or second on the depth chart to get the promise.

But if you're running a 3-4, then your 1st and 2nd MLB will get the play time promise, even if you don't really use the 3-4. I mainly run out the nickle and my MLB still got the promise. But then your DT has to be #1.

It's also the opposite for the 4-3, your MLB would have to be #1 and your 1st and 2nd DT will get the promise
Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #14
Rookie

yoda43's Arena

Thanks everyone for keeping this thread alive. It would be nice if this got big enough to warrant a sticky. It seems like this is something that people would want to know about seeing as it helps to recruit players.

Also want to give an update on a couple of promises that i made last season.

1.) The promise to play a game in a players home state : I promised this to a 5* RB. I was worried that he might have to play in this game, but i redshirted him anyways. Well i am pleased to say that i kept this promise W/OUT playing him in that game. So this may become one of my GO-TO Promises.

2.) The promise that says will not sign a player at same position before first year on campuse - Was unsure what this one meant. At first it seems that it means once your player is on campus you can sign someone, I was a little leary about this so i didnt sign anyone else at RB for his entire first season. I kept the promise by doing that, so the next time i promise this im going to wait until his first season on campus and then try and sign someone to see what happens.

Also, as a side note. I think this RB will be well worth the promises i made, he is a 90 overall as a (RS) Freshman. 97spd 95acc 6'1" 215.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

Will injuries derail the "significant playing time promise"? By that I mean, if your frosh gets injured for a few games and doesn't start/play, will the promise count as "broken" even if he started and saw significant time when healthy?

Knowing to start guys with this promise is huge. I just promised my CAP no redshirt and lots of playing time since I know he doesn't suck and I will have a position available. Now I'll know to start him as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #16
Rookie

yoda43's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman
Will injuries derail the "significant playing time promise"? By that I mean, if your frosh gets injured for a few games and doesn't start/play, will the promise count as "broken" even if he started and saw significant time when healthy?

Knowing to start guys with this promise is huge. I just promised my CAP no redshirt and lots of playing time since I know he doesn't suck and I will have a position available. Now I'll know to start him as well.

Not sure on this one either. But hopefully the AI in the game will only take into account those games that a player was actually able to play in. Then again it could go the opposite way and then you would end up with a broken promise. Hopefully not !

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »