Home

Is anyone else terribly bored and or frustrated with this game?

This is a discussion on Is anyone else terribly bored and or frustrated with this game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: Is anyone else terribly bored and or frustrated with this game?

In my experience, the "super LB" issue is just another example of something I've brought up many times, which is that the result of the play trumps any animations you might see.

When super-LB shows up, chances are simply that you didn't deserve to complete the pass, for whatever reason - bad read, rushed throw, QB attributes, proximity of of the pass rush, held the button too long or not long enough, poor work on the sticks, etc. The animation itself is largely irrelevant.

At the end of the day it's an incomplete pass, nothing more.

Last edited by NEOPARADIGM; 08-28-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #42
MVP

MrOctober430's Arena

OVR: 12

I got bored of playing it like the second week but now that football is back in the air and on TV, I'm finally getting the itch.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #43
Pro

blakty's Arena

OVR: 6

Ok seriously, the second and third comment should have explained that this thread=finished
Old 08-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #44
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskAir
I have no desire to play this game anymore. It's not like I've OVERPLAYED it by any means. I had 2 online dynasties going, 1 with friends, 1 alone. I have completely neglected my single player OD, and am even debating leaving the dynasty with friends.

Let me first say I was a huge fan of the demo and pretty big fan of the initial release of the game. There was so much potential. I loved the presentation (which has actually lost it's luster. I don't even watch the pregame rituals anymore, unless it's something unique that I have not seen.) The gameplay felt pretty sweet. It was nice to have some control over your defense.

Over time, I don't know if it was the patches, the jacking around with sliders, ?me?, or what... but the game feels about as rigged as NFL Blitz and NBA Hangtime. PS2 had the famous "robo-QB" for years...but every once in a while I was able to hold the computer to under 300 yards in a game. Next-gen gaming now has "robo-game." The computer controls the game. It can do what it wants, when it wants. It can make you screw up.
Examples:
- 30 seconds left in the half, cpu starting from their own 30. I ran dime cover 3 and cover 4 defenses...stayed away from full-blown quarters prevent. WRs were wide open down field. They scored with 1 second left.

- I lost count weeks ago, how many times I have attempted to switch to a defender to make a tackle, only to have the CPU switch to the wrong player. I need to start taking videos and sending them to EA to explain. It's hard to explain in words...so I'll spare you attempting to envision anything. Anywho, I would like to know how defensive player switching is programmed. It seems to switch to the player not in position/or in the most awkward position. Every once in a blue moon it will switch to the player you want, and it seems to give a half-second delay. Your player pretty much just STOPS before you can do anything with him...it's not fluid motion. Anyways, when that happens the player with the ball will typically score, or gain a big play.

- Pass rushers make me so frustrated! Whether it's a DLineman or a middle linebacker...if there is a blocker in the way, it's as if they are scared to play contact football. Where is the surging forward and pushing the o-line back? I'm not going to complain about TOF or Sacks... I get them from time to time. They seem unrealistic and random though.

- Robo-QB is still in the game. I would say at least 75% of the time I hit a QB, they fling the pigskin as if they are Joe Montana in a full wind-up. Could be a 5 yard completion, could be a 30 yard completion. Perfect spiral...yeah whatever EA.

- If it is 3rd and long, and the computer decides they want a first down, they will get it...usually be no more than 1-2 yards. Whether it be a ridiculous 20 yard, tackle breaking scamper, or a perfect sideline pass with the WR tip-toeing to make the catch...they will find a way to just barely get the first down.

- Punt returns are just so much fun! I love them! -_-

- Super linebackers. Yeah...if I 'lob' a pass over the middle... a linebacker will jump 20 feet and knock it down, if they don't want you to get it.

- Oh, and if you are struggling going into the 4th quarter, don't worry. The CPU will not be able to hit the backside of a barn. They will go into ******** mode. They will fumble, have 3-and-outs that you weren't previously getting. There will be bad throws (typically the CPU is >80% passing going into the 4th. EA has the game programmed for near perfection for 3 QTRs...and then garbage-play in the 4th to make the stats seem somewhat realistic).

- Have you ever had an offensive lineman get a pancake? Check your stats. Didn't think so.

Just some examples. I could write a book on how disappointing this game actually is for me. The game has/had so much potential...but is striking out more than my St. Louis Cardinals over the past 2 months.
You make 2 great points that none of your dissenters cared to address:

1.) Your CPU AI defenders (mainly linemen and linebackers) often refuse to rush the QB.

2.) QB has an uncanny ability to get the ball off at the very last nano-second to avoid sacks, firing perfet passes 5-50 yards downfield every time.

If anyone knows the fix for this, or can identify the thread that addresses the fix (not just the problem), then I'm sure that the OP and I would be extremely grateful.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 08-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 7

You forgot to mention how the blocking in the game is just very off after the Patch/tuner. I mean, there were some issues before, but now, just terrible.

Whatever they did to the game, they need to undo and get it back to the level it was on before the 2nd patch/tuner.

As far as super LB, it always makes me chuckle when people say it is not there. See, when you throw a nice lob to a receiver who is 10 to 15 yards behind a LB who has 70 jumping, and the guy jumps up so his feet are at least 4-5 feet off of the ground in order to bat the pass, that is not a user error. I am sure sliders might help with this, my question is, why is it there in the first place?

Well, hopefully, patch 3 will put this game back to the greatness that it had when it came out. If not, at least NHL 11 is coming out soon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #46
Rookie

nazzman's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner31
the game gets frustrating at times cause there are certain times when no matter what, the CPU will "cheat" to try and win. ... It seems like the CPU will do everything they can to make you lose.
The CPU does not hate you. But it definitely scripts the outcome of some games -- it's more obvious with '11 than in most years. As often as not, though, the outcome is in the human's favor.

So you see the CPU team turning it over five times in the fourth quarter to set up a dramatic finale. Or your receivers drop everything all of a sudden so the CPU can catch up. Crap like that.

Can't say it's "cheating," just scripting. And it feels really heavy handed right now.

As to the OP, I am still playing and loving it. But this year's game really has a way of pissing you off at times.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »