Home

I think I may have figured out why play action pass gets blown up so often

This is a discussion on I think I may have figured out why play action pass gets blown up so often within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2010, 05:54 AM   #1
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
I think I may have figured out why play action pass gets blown up so often

I think I may have figured out why play action pass gets blown up so often...

I decided to test out the play action pass in practice mode, to see if I could fix it with sliders. I put HUM pass block @ 100 and CPU pass rush @ 0, and was trying different things to get it to work better...

Then I noticed the RE kept on getting through, not every time but enough for me to take notice. I checked the depth charts (I was using a random team, South Carolna I think), the LT was an 88 ovr, and the RE an 86... It didn't make sense for the RE to blow up the play so often...

Then I notice this RE had a play recognition rating of 88. So my theory is that this rating is overriding everything, and allowing certain defensive linemen to break through on the play action pass... If their play recognition rating is high. Because all too often d-linemen will pretty much get a clear path to the QB on the play action pass, because the offensive lineman will just stop blocking all of a sudden.

I didn't get a chance to test it out much more after I discovered this, but it would explain a lot.

edit:

Alright... More testing... And it's not the play recognition rating... But it is the DEs and the offensive tackles.

I took Maryland into practice mode, chose "Random Play" from the play action section, and then put the D into nickel 2 man cover. Maybe 30-40% of the time either the RE or LE easily beat the Tackle and got to the QB...

This is with HUM pass block @ 80, and CPU pass rush @ 20, on AA difficulty...

Then I tested out random plays from the normal pass section... With the D in nickel 2 man cover again... And probably less than 5% the DEs beat the Tackle.

I have no idea what would cause this. I wouldn't say it's a game killer, but it definitely stands out as a weak point in the game.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 08-30-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
Pro

SincerelYourz's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: I think I may have figured out why play action pass gets blown up so often

it works, you just have to set it up with dive plays 1st.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SincerelYourz
it works, you just have to set it up with dive plays 1st.
No, it doesn't work. You can run 20 dives in a row, get 5 yards per dive..****n a PA off the dive fake, and still get sacked by the time you complete your fake.

the playaction passes are just a waste of space and memory.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiehm
No, it doesn't work. You can run 20 dives in a row, get 5 yards per dive..****n a PA off the dive fake, and still get sacked by the time you complete your fake.

the playaction passes are just a waste of space and memory.
The only time i even think about doing PA is if the defense doesnt look like it's blitzing. Even then it still gets blown up more than half of the time with a sack.

From what i have noticed the biggest difference between 11 and 10 is that NOBODY and i mean nobody on the defense bites on the fake. Last year you used to see blitzers or DL bite on the run fake and tackle the HB, but now that almost never happens. They run right past the fake and sack the QB. God i wish they would fix this...
Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Rookie

tommygunn's Arena

OVR: 3

Agree that PA is COMPLETELY BROKEN!

So frustrating that all of those plays are essentially worthless. That and the special teams play are the only two glaring flaws in what is otherwise a damn near perfect game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Rookie

EZ Esquire's Arena

OVR: 1

I just posted this on another thread.

The main reason so many people have an issue with this is because the CPU blitzes…a lot.

Play action during a blitz and you are dead. Most 3rd plays the CPU will blitz especially on 3rd and short.

This can be fixed by not call playaction or change the play when you see they may blitz.

Another reason is because it takes a moment longer for the play action animation to complete for the player than it does for the CPU.

The CPU can playaction and throw immediately after the fake. It takes a few moments longer for the player’s QB to complete the fake and for the passing icons appear.

The two of these together and the play does not work often. Best time to use it is on first down.

I use it often but still get punished every now and then for trying to use it on third and short. For some reason I keep the faith that it will work “this time.”
Old 08-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Esquire
I just posted this on another thread.

The main reason so many people have an issue with this is because the CPU blitzes…a lot.

Play action during a blitz and you are dead. Most 3rd plays the CPU will blitz especially on 3rd and short.

This can be fixed by not call playaction or change the play when you see they may blitz.

Another reason is because it takes a moment longer for the play action animation to complete for the player than it does for the CPU.

The CPU can playaction and throw immediately after the fake. It takes a few moments longer for the player’s QB to complete the fake and for the passing icons appear.

The two of these together and the play does not work often. Best time to use it is on first down.

I use it often but still get punished every now and then for trying to use it on third and short. For some reason I keep the faith that it will work “this time.”
I don't disagree...1st and goal at the 2, PA should work 95% of the time. I ran it 50 times in practice. I was sacked 50 times.

right now the PA plays are a complete and utter waste of disc space...****nning them on first down has not been any more successful than any other down. The DL, freakin just warps right to the QB...but on the next play, your RB will run for 40 yards because the DL is being blocked, but yet those same lineman on a PA let the DL go by them as it it were a screen.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
MVP

Ramminyou's Arena

OVR: 10

PA works fine. Just fine. And setting it up with the run absolutely does help. As someone already noted, the CPU is blitz happy, and when you play on the higher difficulty levels they have mind-reading playcalling, and will a lot of times call huge blitzes when you're running a PA. You should be calling an audible when it's obvious the CPU is bringing 2+ extra guys and you called a PA pass. If you don't, it's on you.

If, however, they are not blitzing you will have success. I've used the PA successfully too many times, and have posted about it (including video evidence) here too many times to continue to have people whine about it and call it broken. If you can't get the PA pass to work, try harder.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »