Home

Players leaving early

This is a discussion on Players leaving early within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Players leaving early

What are peoples thoughts on players trying to go pro early in this years game? Too much, not enough, just right?

Im leaning towards too much right now. While I like how recruiting is more difficult and you cant just pull in 15 5 stars, they should have balanced that with early departures. Makes some positions potentially absurdly thin. If you are limited to 70 players overall it is stupid to make players try to leave earlier than even in real life.

88 overall rs sophs? 86 overall rs juniors? Come on EA. Guys leave early USUALLY if they would be drafted in the first 3 rounds. rs sophs like Earl Thomas was a guaranteed 1st rounder.

Oh and a different subject entirely, but the walk-on kickers. Really? That bad? For a 6 star program? I dont want god kickers from a walk-on, but 45 overall with 45 kp and ka? Give me a break.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Players leaving early

I don't care much about the early departures because you can talk most of them into staying. I talked a 93 OVR running back who just won the Heisman as a junior into staying. So it doesn't impact your team that much, as long as you're willing to sacrifice some recruiting minutes to keep them.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Rookie

uclabruins4ever's Arena

OVR: 2

It's almost always worth using recruiting minutes to talk good players into staying

that being said, I have seen a few of my players who had pretty mediocre junior seasons opting for the pro-draft....not sure what kind of advice they're getting
Old 09-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfRed75
What are peoples thoughts on players trying to go pro early in this years game? Too much, not enough, just right?

Im leaning towards too much right now. While I like how recruiting is more difficult and you cant just pull in 15 5 stars, they should have balanced that with early departures. Makes some positions potentially absurdly thin. If you are limited to 70 players overall it is stupid to make players try to leave earlier than even in real life.

88 overall rs sophs? 86 overall rs juniors? Come on EA. Guys leave early USUALLY if they would be drafted in the first 3 rounds. rs sophs like Earl Thomas was a guaranteed 1st rounder.

Oh and a different subject entirely, but the walk-on kickers. Really? That bad? For a 6 star program? I dont want god kickers from a walk-on, but 45 overall with 45 kp and ka? Give me a break.
I never really disagreed with the amount going pro- i really question more who goes pro most the time. I feel the minimum criteria should be a 90 OV or higher. I do let everyone that wants to go, go though. Besides the fact the CPU doesn't seem to able to talk guys back. I always thought it thinned the talent a little.

If anything the transfers seem wonky to me. I recall years where i would lose a few guys at weak positions but then the 4th RB might be a 89. While i understand that can happen in real life. Your more likely to transfer do to lack of PT though.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Rookie

I think its too much. I had an 83 overall JR (RS) running back go pro. He didn't win the Heisman, he was like number 8 in the nation in rushing yards when the season ended. I wish players like that would stay, but anyone that is 95 and above, and has a great junior year will go pro more often, and with it harder to talk him back to school.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Rookie

I agree that Transfers are wonky, and why do good programs never have any transfers coming in? Happens all the time in real life situations.

Even if you spend 60 minutes on the guys, not all will come back, even with high coach prestige.

I also agree that the number doenst seem to be too bad 5-7 a year for a good program going pro early. But yes, I've seen a lot of players trying to go pro who certainly would not be ready.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
Rookie

Good its not just me then. It just really sucks at certain positions like CB or WR were you need a lot of guys. And if your no 1 is a senior and no 2 say a junior that goes early and no 3 tries to go early too. And then to top it off no 4 was a serviceable senior. Bye bye any depth at all, and better hope you can pull in 4 or 5 recruits.

I think its easier to plan for at positions like QB or HB where you generally have only one guy playing the vast majority of snaps. A move em up the line feel seems to be there at those positions as the others graduate.

But I know it would be very hard to program so Im not overly critical towards EA on this aspect of the game.

Maybe tweaking recruiting to where early playing time especially at elite programs draws the recruits in more. If im going to be left with say a 60-70 overall underclassman at a position as my only returning starter the next year at a 6 star program, then lots of 3 and a few 4 or maybe 5 stars at that position should be very eager to sign with said program. But it needs to be dynamic. Once I or the Cpu have a couple 3 or maybe just one 4 or especially 5 star at that positon, the rest should back off.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
Rookie

isd71's Arena

I agree about the transfers it would be better if they treated like regular recruits and just labeled them as FBS transfers. They could set it so you could only bring in 3 or so and would need a A+ early playing time rating or something.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »