Home

Kawaun Jakes (WKU QB)

This is a discussion on Kawaun Jakes (WKU QB) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Kawaun Jakes (WKU QB)

In addition to my franchise I play with my UW Huskies, I'm trying out the "rebuilding a one-star program" thing. Never thought about doing it until I joined on here, but it sure adds a different dimension to playing the game.

I play on Heisman with Western Kentucky and am currently sitting at 0-3 after nearly knocking off Indiana (I lost 31-21 but the game was much closer). The beginning part of the schedule is brutal, playing at Nebraska, at Kentucky, home vs. Indiana and then at USF, but I think I can beat USF if I can play like I did against Indiana.

Anyway, I started the season with a sophmore QB, Kawaun Jakes, who proceeded to suck it up and forced me to insert a JC transfer junior, Matt Pelesasa (sp?). He went down early in the Indiana game for 2 weeks and Jakes came in and made the most of his opportunity, throwing for 196 yds and rushing for 63 with a TD. Downside is that I threw 3 picks with him and had a 18-yard loss on a sack (I screwed up trying to throw the ball away), but he has me super optimistic about playing with these guys. Dude has an upper-80s speed rating and has me thinking of changing the offense scheme after this year (I'm trying to keep things realistic as most teams wouldn't totally change the offense mid-season). I'm considering going to a spread or an Air Raid scheme to get him in the shotgun more to utilize his running abilities...his accuracy is only 71, which caused two of the INT's on terrible overthrows, but I'm hoping I can get him to progress in that area.

Just wondering if anyone has had the same results with this guy? If I can turn him into a more accurate passer, this guy could be a star and he's only a sophmore!

(Sorry a little long-winded, lol)

Last edited by youngslim21; 09-01-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Rookie

Jim Jones's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Kawaun Jakes (WKU QB)

he's a terrible passer. I'm currently in week 7 of a WKU dynasty and I can't stand the guy..yes he's a great runner, but he's just such a bad passer and it's hard to see him improving all that much over the course of a dynasty, especially since my stats with him so far this year are pretty god awful.

WKU is just a tough team to use...in addition to the low ratings, on offense the QB can't throw and the RB is so small that you cant use him too much before he gets hurt/tired.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Rookie

So are you using Pelesasa then? I became frustrated with Jakes after starting him the first two weeks but am encouraged after his latest performance. I guess we'll see tonight when i play USF.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm doing/done a WKU dynasty and in that first year I just had to run the crap out of both Jakes and Rainey. The problem with Rainey is that he gets hurt all of the time and Jakes can't throw to save his life. But they have great speed and that always means a lot.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Rookie

coachk75's Arena

I too started with WKU. Now true he is not that great of a passer,but I run with the Wake Forest playbook (imagine the old Nebraska offense merged with the current Florida offense) and would pass about 15-20 times a game unless I was gettin beat late....anyway, I won the SBC title and finished 8-5, got a job offer from UCLA....couldn't turn that opportunity down especially when I saw UCLA finished 2-10.....time to bring them back to being an elite team
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

With a rb and a qb like that I'm using the one of the flexbone playbooks. I say one of because navy ga tech and army's playbooks are all seemingly exactly the same.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Rookie

Bucknut17's Arena

OVR: 5

im in a 1 star od and took wku figuring they would be a very tough build.... and I was right, I went 4-8 and lost 80-10 against Nebraska in the opener losing Jakes for 8 weeks (which turned into 12 weeks) but due to our sliders and the fact wku's line sucks I threw the hell out of the ball with Pelasasa ended up finishing the year 6th in passing yards and top 10 in td passes. He is a much better passer and when Jakes did finally return i went to the 2 qb system but heading into year 2 im really not sure what i wanna do but Im seriously considering going to the flexbone or maybe Air Force, a mixture of spread and option so i can use Pelasasa in the gun and Jakes in the flex. I also finished the year with the 120th rated recruiting class....
Old 09-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

In my first year of my WKU dynasty, Pelesasa threw for 2474 yds, 16 tds, and 6 int. Raineyran for 1405 yds, 22 tds, and 2 fumbles. Those 2 fumbles cost WKU their first bowl win. Only used Jakes for garbage time in the bowl game but was impressed with his speed.

Second season starts and Pelesasa throws an INT, than next possession Rainey fumbles, next possession Pelesasa fumbles, and then a bit later Rainey fumbles again. Start second half of first game with Jakes as the QB and Keshawn Simpson as my HB. Lost the game but got real comfortable with Jakes and some of his throwing limitations. HB situation is tough. Rainey is an All-American but caught fumbelitis, so in key situations Simpson runs. Bigger and holds on to the ball for me.

So far Jakes has a 154.5 Qb rtg, 64.8% completion, 9 tds and 5 ints, and 1131 yds in 6 games, and I am not abusing his running with only 3 tds, and 292 yds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »