Home

Military school recruiting rules?

This is a discussion on Military school recruiting rules? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Rookie

Maverick_SWAT's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Military school recruiting rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubucarow
I always thought so but they have some huge boys pushing 300 lbs lately.
I'm pretty sure for Air Force anyone above 230lbs can't have more than 20% body fat.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

I was lightly recruited by both Army and Navy. I was an undersized fullback, and was only really being looked at by D-III schools.
The Military Academy Coaches are able to sponsor a select number (i am not sure what that number is) of athletes each year, for addmission into the academy. These Players do not need the standard Congressional Sponsor that is required by all other Academy Cadets.
The way I understood it the Academies do not redshirt, however they do have "prep" schools were you can can play a year in the prep school system, and you do not need a congresional sponsor to get in. This was the route that was being offered to me. This gives the coaches a chance to see if they want to use one of their Athletic sponsorships on you the following year.
It is also worth noting that, cadets in the academies are not comitted to service until they step foot in class their Junior year. Once you star your junior year then you are commited to the military for six years after graduation. Some athletes use the first two years to garner interest from another D-I school, and transfer after their sophmore year.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel
The military academies are strictly four-year institutions, so athletes normally aren't/shouldn't be redshirted. I suppose it could happen, but they would graduate and receive their commissions and still have a year of amateur eligibility left.

As far as recruiting is concerned, they would still have to go through the regular process of enrolling at the school: applying, having a congressman give them a recommendation/appointment, swearing in/taking their oath, and going through basic training. But, I assume that the coaches can recruit from those schools like coaches from other schools can, minus the attraction of offering scholarships, because, I think, the American tax payers pay for their education (as only seems fitting, they are, after all, being obliged to defend us).

As far as EA's NCAA Football is concerned, it treats these schools like any other.
Yeah, and this is why I don't really like playing as one of the service academies. I've had guys go pro early and it was a total "WTF moment." It would be cool if EA could address that...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Hey I went to Navy for a semester for football and technically they can have redshirts. In real life they would be called grayshirts, becuase as another poster alluded too, they sned guys to the respective military branch prep school. Unlike the other guys was saying, most of the prep school players are actual recruits and are literally going there just for football. At the prep school, you run the actual Navy offense and defense and you play two games vs the Navy JV team at the actual academy. So as far as the game goes, I have no problem redshirting players in game, because the Prep schools are how the academies get around having kids for only 4 years at the actual institutions.

As for recruiting, I restrict myself from not recruiting any JUCO players, that would never happen in real life as everyone starts at the academies as freshman, even if you have senior status at another University. I don't mind shooting for 5* recruits but keep it to a minimum and they have to have some interest. Kyle Eckel was the best FB in the country in 2004 and highest rated in NCAA Football 05. He's played for the Patriots and last year with the Saints. I also know a couple of guys who have transferred from Navy because they wanted more freedom and one of my friends is currently in Training camp with the Bengals, and he was a freshman starter at Navy while he was there. So Navy, does get players that have NFL potential. Also, if you think about it how many schools are sending 2+ guys to the NFL, that aren't a top 25 team? There's only so many spots and a bunch of guys get cut. It's not like he academies aren't trying to recruit 5* and 4* athletes, it's just that the military life while in school is a hard sell. Every now and then you get guys like David Robinson of the Spurs who just have the heart set on Navy and he was one of the NBA greats.

So in a dynasty, you should have restrictions, but I think not recruiting 4 and 5* players at all is silly and unrealistic, because they do get recruited. Navy has comes long ways in the last decade and it isn't just discipline, they've gotten better athletes. You don't lost by 4 to Ohio State last year and not have atheletes that can hang. Navy defensive backs held Golden Tate pretty solid last year against ND. So take it like this. If you are going to recruit 5 or 4* recruits, the positions should be at QB, HB, DB, LB, and possbily DE. Navy would never get 5* OL or DL because of weight requirements (actually BMI...but yeah) and WR aren't going to want to come to a school that throws the ball 4 or 5 times a game (though Rick Dobbs seems to be an exception).

I hope this helped. Now if only you could see grades of recruits, there would be another restriction.

Last edited by Papazmurf; 09-02-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papazmurf
Hey I went to Navy for a semester for football and technically they can have redshirts. In real life they would be called grayshirts, becuase as another poster alluded too, they sned guys to the respective military branch prep school. Unlike the other guys was saying, most of the prep school players are actual recruits and are literally going there just for football. At the prep school, you run the actual Navy offense and defense and you play two games vs the Navy JV team at the actual academy. So as far as the game goes, I have no problem redshirting players in game, because the Prep schools are how the academies get around having kids for only 4 years at the actual institutions.

As for recruiting, I restrict myself from not recruiting any JUCO players, that would never happen in real life as everyone starts at the academies as freshman, even if you have senior status at another University. I don't mind shooting for 5* recruits but keep it to a minimum and they have to have some interest. Kyle Eckel was the best FB in the country in 2004 and highest rated in NCAA Football 05. He's played for the Patriots and last year with the Saints. I also know a couple of guys who have transferred from Navy because they wanted more freedom and one of my friends is currently in Training camp with the Bengals, and he was a freshman starter at Navy while he was there. So Navy, does get players that have NFL potential. Also, if you think about it how many schools are sending 2+ guys to the NFL, that aren't a top 25 team? There's only so many spots and a bunch of guys get cut. It's not like he academies aren't trying to recruit 5* and 4* athletes, it's just that the military life while in school is a hard sell. Every now and then you get guys like David Robinson of the Spurs who just have the heart set on Navy and he was one of the NBA greats.

So in a dynasty, you should have restrictions, but I think not recruiting 4 and 5* players at all is silly and unrealistic, because they do get recruited. Navy has comes long ways in the last decade and it isn't just discipline, they've gotten better athletes. You don't lost by 4 to Ohio State last year and not have atheletes that can hang. Navy defensive backs held Golden Tate pretty solid last year against ND. So take it like this. If you are going to recruit 5 or 4* recruits, the positions should be at QB, HB, DB, LB, and possbily DE. Navy would never get 5* OL or DL because of weight requirements (actually BMI...but yeah) and WR aren't going to want to come to a school that throws the ball 4 or 5 times a game (though Rick Dobbs seems to be an exception).

I hope this helped. Now if only you could see grades of recruits, there would be another restriction.
Navy gets talented players like Dobbs. But they don't get 4 star athletes. They get under the radar guys with good speed that they move all over the field. Everybody can treat their dynasty how they want but I know that I would be absolutely floored if Navy landed a 4 star player. This past year they have 1 solid 3 star recruit (Mauro) and a couple other fringe 3 star recruits and that is their best class by ratings that I can remember ever happening. David Robinson is the exception to the rule. I guess I could recruit a top 150 player once every ten years or something.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

The game needs to add the simple "Do you want to serve your country?" question, have GPA's and SAT scores with recruits getting rejected by admissions, and allow limitless rosters for the academies to get close to the environment the academies recruit in.

They also need to get cadets in the crowd and display the traditional involved especially at the beginning and end of the Army-Navy game.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:37 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

This is the military section, for the real boys military schools, not military-themed private schools. The vast majority of us went to regular schools and have no idea how these so-called military schools are run. I don't really see the attraction of paying somebody beau coup bucks to let you play soldier when you can join the real military at 17 and do it for free.

Last edited by yogibear; 02-17-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2011, 03:44 AM   #16
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogibear
This is the military section, for the real boys military schools, not military-themed private schools. The vast majority of us went to regular schools and have no idea how these so-called military schools are run. I don't really see the attraction of paying somebody beau coup bucks to let you play soldier when you can join the real military at 17 and do it for free.
What? This thread is about the real military academies not some fake "military" school.

Do you really care where I sent this from?
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »