Home

Does EA need to start over?

This is a discussion on Does EA need to start over? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Does EA need to start over?
Yes 18 18.56%
No 72 74.23%
I am not really sure 7 7.22%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Does EA need to start over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I know EA made a good football game this year, but after patches it really has been nothing but a terrible mess. I know it would take years to create a new football game.

But does EA need to start over? This could be for both their football games really. They are big messes that no matter what they do to it, the base for the game is always going to have bug faults in it. I am not a big programmer or anything, but from what I have heard, the code for both their football games are just messy and are not ideal.

I think if EA started over and created the game from scratch with today's technology that later on down the road in maybe 3 years the game would be leaps and bounds better in terms of gameplay and features. Maybe the first year would be a lot better of a game in terms of gameplay, but then after that we'd start seeing our old favorite features and new surprising(in a good way) ones implemented and would create the next gen football experience we've all been waiting for for 5 years now.

As it stands I don't think we will ever get a next gen football game on current systems if they keep using this outdated base, or engine I guess. We'll be stuck with ratings that do't matter, animations that have too much control on the outcome, too many bugs that should never make it into a game, etc.

I know this will likely not happen, so do't just say no because it won't happen. Realism aside, do you think EA needs to start over with their football games?
Judging by the poll results, no, EA does not to start over.

Way too drastic.

This game has gotten some very good reviews and for good reasons. Sure, it has some issues. I used to get up in arms over things until I just accepted the fact that 1) games will never be perfect, and 2) there is not a game out there that is made specifically for me.

NCAA has gotten raked over the coals here at the OS forums over the past few years - yet the feedback for this year's game is mostly positive, and honestly, we're a tough crowd to please. But this game has made HUGE strides in one year and I am looking forward to seeing on how EA builds on this year game, which is a success.

Last edited by 12; 09-03-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 AM   #18
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

I'm surprised so many people are unhappy with this game. I love this damn game even if it's not perfect. By far the most fun I've had with an NCAA game since '04. Been going strong for 6-7 weeks with no signs of slowing down. I'm hoping to get in at least two more years before 2K11 drops in October. This is the first NCAA on PS3 that I still owned on Sept 1st, all other versions were sold pretty damn quickly.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Old 09-03-2010, 03:32 AM   #19
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeus
What are you talking about? Gamebreaker was considered top-tier until exclusivity. Well, it was big during the PS2 days and then fell off a bit but still.

There has been plenty of competition in video game college football.
On what planet was Gamebreaker considered top tier until exclusivity? It was universally panned when it jumped to PS2.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 AM   #20
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

cane i would like to know what part of ncaa you don't like. it has a couple of dumb bugs that are getting patched. The lighting and graphics are great. i think to make the game better will be to get some type of AD mode in the game, defense needs attention, technique and responsibilities to play defense is what is sorely needed. but this is a great start if they can just build on what is in 11. 12 will be great.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #21
Rookie

mjarz02's Arena

OVR: 6

Absolutely ridiculous! No need to start over...just improve dynasty mode and sim logic. I feel that the gameplay may need a few tweaks but we all play differently so that will always be an issue.

With all of the conference realignment happening, I cant wait for NCAA 2012! However Im going to play 11 all fall and winter long!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #22
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I'm surprised so many people are unhappy with this game. I love this damn game even if it's not perfect. By far the most fun I've had with an NCAA game since '04. Been going strong for 6-7 weeks with no signs of slowing down. I'm hoping to get in at least two more years before 2K11 drops in October. This is the first NCAA on PS3 that I still owned on Sept 1st, all other versions were sold pretty damn quickly.
Agreed, this game is great. Sure it has flaws, but what game doesn't. I'm having fun and that is all that matters to me.

And Canes, your logic isn't making sense. You are asking about revamping both football titles but then in several of your replies you mention that you aren't talking about rebuilding the games? I'm not sure what the point of the question is then.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 4

I don't think it needs rebuilding from the ground up unless they want to implement a true physics engine and get away from animations. They can keep polishing up the animations-based engines - and truthfully they've come farther than I ever expected would be possible - but there's a certain leap that can't be made until they just change how they do things.

Until that day though, I don't think anything in the current game is crippling. There are stupid bugs but they are fixable. They are missing features but they can be added. The only major hurdle SHORT OF creating a new engine, in my mind, is how the defensive logic works. Sad to say that after all these years, defense just doesn't play correctly. In some versions they are good at stopping the offense and in the majority of versions they are bad, but either way they don't play very close to how real players play. I think if they went the extra mile for NCAA 12 as far as creating real gap assignment AI and making DBs react properly to route runners, the QB, and the ball, I'd be extremely happy with that game.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

They don't need to start over, they just need to fly out a few hard core players and listen to us for 3 days and release a tuner. I think the engine can work. I see it has some promise, but they have done some questionable things with it like bringing Robo QB back after patch 2, having the AI try 65 yard fg's on Heisman, neutering the zone coverage, having the AI cover up the ball in open space, etc. I think there is a relatively easy fix to this, unfortunately EA seems to cater to the 13 year olds who want 100% pass accuracy, an easy running game, and an AI that is too simple to beat.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »