Home

Want improved Practice Mode and bring back Training Camp

This is a discussion on Want improved Practice Mode and bring back Training Camp within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Banned

swhyte21's Arena

OVR: 4
Want improved Practice Mode and bring back Training Camp

These are just a few things I have been thinking about while playing dynasty this year.

First, practice is basically useless except for slider configuration.
I'd prefer different practice modes that actually help you learn what to do and what not to do, sort of mini-game-ish like the PS2 training camps, but not as cheesy. But that isn't my big gripe with practice.
What I would love to see, instead of a single play in one area of the field, I would love to see a scrimmage based practice where you can actually move the ball up and down the field and call plays accordingly.

Now with Training Camp.
Training camp would start at the same time as off-season recruiting. Early signees will be available to participate in the spring game. And each recruit, while their individual attributes are visible (and can change based on training camp, not by much, but a good camp for a freshman can mean a lot), they have not yet been assigned an OVR rating, so you have an idea of who is going to be where on the depth chart but you don't have that number until it is unlocked, when and how I haven't figured out.
After the spring game, you continue off-season recruiting, and as you sign players, they show up for camp, and not knowing who is where on the depth chart, brings in what I have really wanted to see, position battles. I hate that those battles are predetermined by OVR score, I'd rather have to play with the player and see how I fair with them over the others to determine depth chart. It is also more realistic as early signees will be with the team longer giving them better AWR.

Anyone else like to see something like this? 5 weeks of camp during off season recruiting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Want improved Practice Mode and bring back Training Camp

Early enrollment and training camp are the biggest missing features in my opinion. Getting standout freshmen on campus in the spring has a huge effect on their abilities and conditioning if they're going to start immediately. Likewise, spring games and training camps like on the old systems would be a major benefit for getting particular guys ready for a new season, especially if you're going to be starting someone for the first time.

The practice mode definitely needs to be revamped, and what I would love is to see it combined with gameflow (assuming it comes to NCAA next year). That way you can set up your idea gameplan for an opponent, and then test out certain scenarios in practice. This is how practice really works, and would make preparation for big games incredibly useful. Maybe you could even get motivation boosts for certain players in positions or situations that you really practiced for.

One thing I'd also really like to see is controllable conditioning. Something in between NFL 2k5 and NCAA Basketball would be awesome, so that you could try to mold your players. One thing I've always hated is that players really don't gain or lose weight after you recruit them. Maybe a couple pounds here or there, but in real football you see a lot of guys, particularly linemen, put in strict conditioning plans to gain weight. Especially considering the general lack of size of DTs for a 3-4 defense in the game, it would be awesome if you could put guys on specific conditioning plans to try to get them the right size for the position and your system.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Want improved Practice Mode and bring back Training Camp

For years I've been saying that NCAA needs a player controlled spring game. The results of the spring game would then affect a portion of each players offseason progression.

This would add meaning to the offseason and would also make offseason progression more logical.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »